QUESTION -CPU: Intel Atom N330 Dual Core processor (1.6 GHz)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Re: QUESTION -CPU: Intel Atom N330 Dual Core processor (1.6

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi John,

Thank you for your informative post. In fact, it is so technical I am having a hard time deciphering it :)

Are you stating with the N330 I could shut off one core?

If so, what would be the power with one core? 1.6mhz?

It is challenging to understand the numerous cpu's available now :?

For example my Apple IPOD touch 2 is using a 500mhz atom, I think. What would the power increase using the N330 with one core and two cores be as it pertains to Crafty or another computer chess program.

Thank you,

Sean
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

The Atom processor is not really designed for power but rather for long battery life. My guess is that it is way more than enough to crush you or me, but not at all impressive for serious analysis.
John Major

Post by John Major »

Sean Evans wrote:Hi John,

Thank you for your informative post. In fact, it is so technical I am having a hard time deciphering it :)

Are you stating with the N330 I could shut off one core?
Not shut off a core but use one or two through the number of threads you give the engine. N330 supports hyperthreading so you can have four apparent processors but I have switched that off in the BIOS.
If so, what would be the power with one core? 1.6mhz?
Yes.
It is challenging to understand the numerous cpu's available now :?

For example my Apple IPOD touch 2 is using a 500mhz atom, I think. What would the power increase using the N330 with one core and two cores be as it pertains to Crafty or another computer chess program.
Two cores will give 40 to 75 elo more.
For playing games the Atom is fine. For strength and analysis faster is better.
Thank you,

Sean
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Thanks John,

knowing that, I think the N330 would be a better choice over the single core, in some respects -:) I figured Windows 7 would allow us to make these type of core/thread changes, instead of the bios.

Cordially,

Sean :D
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

M ANSARI wrote:The Atom processor is not really designed for power but rather for long battery life. My guess is that it is way more than enough to crush you or me...
... or Anand, or Topalov. ;)
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

There is actually a new netbook that just came out that I was not aware about. It solves the 1080P playback issue with the ASUS 1005PE. The new netbook is the ASUS 1005PR and they have included a new chip, that allows 1080P playback and the screen has better resolution.

http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1005PR-P ... 473&sr=1-1

I wish ASUS and others would follow OCZ's lead and just provide a netbook shell and allow endusers to purchase the components they want, instead of whatever the manufacturer decides to stick into the unit.

Cordially,

Sean