IBM super-computer with 8792 processors!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

IBM super-computer with 8792 processors!

Post by AdminX »

"We now know that his opponent Veselin Topalov had access to an IBM super-computer with 8792 processors!"

Source: http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6348
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: IBM super-computer with 8792 processors!

Post by lmader »

This article is fascinating in so many ways.

One thing that really strikes me - Three of the world's very best/top chess players - Kasparov, Carlson, and Kramnik - all gave their personal help to Anand. And Kasparov and Kramnik both helped Anand *during* the match via phone calls and Skype.

What does it say that all these guys put their energy into supporting Anand, and not Topalov? They clearly chose sides (Anand's side). And I think the answer, as to why, is obvious. Anand has always been an extremely gracious and sportsman-like player. I think Topalov and his manager's past behavior has really poisoned how he is received by his peers.
"The foundation of morality is to have done, once for all, with lying; to give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibilities of knowledge." - T. H. Huxley
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

lmader wrote:This article is fascinating in so many ways.

One thing that really strikes me - Three of the world's very best/top chess players - Kasparov, Carlson, and Kramnik - all gave their personal help to Anand. And Kasparov and Kramnik both helped Anand *during* the match via phone calls and Skype.

What does it say that all these guys put their energy into supporting Anand, and not Topalov? They clearly chose sides (Anand's side). And I think the answer, as to why, is obvious. Anand has always been an extremely gracious and sportsman-like player. I think Topalov and his manager's past behavior has really poisoned how he is received by his peers.
Exactly how I too see it. Topalov needs a new manager.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Hood

Post by Hood »

Three of the world's very best/top chess players - Kasparov, Carlson, and Kramnik - all gave their personal help to Anand. And Kasparov and Kramnik both helped Anand *during* the match via phone calls and Skype.
Knowledge that 'personal support facts' and the result of the match makes Topalov moral winner of the match, is not it ?

Alone versus the clan. ;-)
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
javimm

Post by javimm »

What this fantastic interviews tell me is that as much as computers are a fundamental part of today's chess preparation, when you are actually playing it's you and what you know and how you feel, so having the counsel of 3 such players as Kasparov, Kramnik and Carlsen has proven to be as effective (if not more) than a 112 cluster (or whatever).

I think that ONLY trusting computers for preparation is an error, as you tend to forget about the psycological part of the match, which is even more important. These 3 players gave Anand some very useful advice to use against Topalov that worked pretty well for him.

Very interesting stuff in those interviews.
Hood

Post by Hood »

With the same probability can be said that Kramnik has choosed the dark side and Tobalov light one.

the chess business is ruled from some time by the company of common business and adoration.

Grand Slam is the competition so their supporters and creators are attacked.
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Hood wrote:

Three of the world's very best/top chess players - Kasparov, Carlson, and Kramnik - all gave their personal help to Anand. And Kasparov and Kramnik both helped Anand *during* the match via phone calls and Skype.
Knowledge that 'personal support facts' and the result of the match makes Topalov moral winner of the match, is not it ?

I do not see how it makes topalov the moral winner.

Uri
Hood

Post by Hood »

Facing such the opposition and losing the match in the last game is making that. It is clear.

I do find such a support by a bit 'unfair' . The pretendents for the title shall be not involved in helping other pretender.
There was the match where Euwe was supported by Flohr (co pretender for WCh Title)) and it was claimed by opponent. Flohr resigned of being supporter as consequence. It was other noble times of gentlemens.

The rules of the match are stating how many people can be seconds and supporting team of the competitors. I am not sure if such additional external support during match is according to the rules.
Cui bono ?

vvarkey

Post by vvarkey »

haha topalov the moral winner.
that really made my day.

I'm glad anand had the last laugh after the whole volcanic ash incident and the response from the organizers. To quote (http://letters.chessdom.com/bcf-statement-anand-topalov):
".....The organizers and the journalists in Bulgaria were bitterly disappointed of the attitude of the world champion V.Anand, but we accepted it as a part of the 'playing on the nerves game'..."
"...we are bitterly disappointed by his derogatory actions and attitude towards the organizers. All problems that emerge should be resolved in dialogue with shown understanding from all sides, and not in the form of pressure.... "
Last edited by vvarkey on Fri May 21, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Hood wrote:

Topalov lost pure and simple. There's no moral victory just ignominious defeat.
Terry McCracken