IBM super-computer with 8792 processors!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gerold

Re: IBM super-computer with 8792 processors!

Post by gerold »

Hood wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:
Hood wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:
Hood wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Hood wrote:
lmader wrote:This article is fascinating in so many ways.

Three of the world's very best/top chess players - Kasparov, Carlson, and Kramnik - all gave their personal help to Anand. And Kasparov and Kramnik both helped Anand *during* the match via phone calls and Skype.
Knowledge that 'personal support facts' and the result of the match makes Topalov moral winner of the match, is not it ?

Alone versus the clan. ;-)
Topalov lost pure and simple. There's no moral victory just ignominious defeat.
You do not know or do not understand about what I wrote :-( .
It's difficult to understand where you're coming from. Topalov spends 10s of thousands of dollars for the use of a cluster and gets a special dispensation from the government of Bulgaria for the use of Deep Gene in order to out-compute his opponent in preparation. Anand talks to his friends. I'd call that even-steven. Ultimately, they both were alone at the board, and the best man won.

Jeremy
Anand was having access to 64 core system. So the access to the Gene computer is not big advantage as it is university computer busy with other tasks.
Kasparov, Kramnik, Carlsen do have access to the strong computers either, so KK help during the match was not only by words but by variants either, most probably and that breaks the rule of the match.

It is the 1st case when the top players are involved in the WCC match (individual !) as supporters and it is the bad case.
If the unwritten rule is broken 1st time it will be broken next time for sure
and it will be the end of individual championship.

Now we could say that we have the 'group' champion Anand-Kramnik-Kasparov who faced Topalov.
Next time Topalov or other Anand oponent shall invite Wang-Yue, Ivanchuk, Aronian etc. for his team.

It will be the 'real individual' championship. :-(
Your logic assumes that either participant in the match has either a perfect memory, or remote access to his hardware/friends during the games. Sorry that your guy lost, but lose he did, in a very close match.

Jeremy
My guy ? May be... let it be. :-)

My logic is not assuming the access during the games but that the role of the preparation is extremly high now and is deciding factor . The good novelty equals the point in the match. 3 good novelties and match is over.

The way Anand prepared and performed the match is questioning the individual attribute of the title.

Lets say in correspondence play - computer aided - the player gets additional consultations from other top players . It is fair or not ?

There the player was getting consultations during the match - i.e. novelties.

rgds Hood
Yep i agree. They should not read any chess books or
talk to other top players. It should all come from their
own brain.
Now they look like a computer playing. :)

P.S.It is all chess and any move they can think up or have help
with that is the game. I once mated a fellow in something like
15 moves. It was a trap i got from a book. I was just about kicked
out of my chess club. :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

gerold wrote:
Hood wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:
Hood wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:
Hood wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Hood wrote:
lmader wrote:This article is fascinating in so many ways.

Three of the world's very best/top chess players - Kasparov, Carlson, and Kramnik - all gave their personal help to Anand. And Kasparov and Kramnik both helped Anand *during* the match via phone calls and Skype.
Knowledge that 'personal support facts' and the result of the match makes Topalov moral winner of the match, is not it ?

Alone versus the clan. ;-)
Topalov lost pure and simple. There's no moral victory just ignominious defeat.
You do not know or do not understand about what I wrote :-( .
It's difficult to understand where you're coming from. Topalov spends 10s of thousands of dollars for the use of a cluster and gets a special dispensation from the government of Bulgaria for the use of Deep Gene in order to out-compute his opponent in preparation. Anand talks to his friends. I'd call that even-steven. Ultimately, they both were alone at the board, and the best man won.

Jeremy
Anand was having access to 64 core system. So the access to the Gene computer is not big advantage as it is university computer busy with other tasks.
Kasparov, Kramnik, Carlsen do have access to the strong computers either, so KK help during the match was not only by words but by variants either, most probably and that breaks the rule of the match.

It is the 1st case when the top players are involved in the WCC match (individual !) as supporters and it is the bad case.
If the unwritten rule is broken 1st time it will be broken next time for sure
and it will be the end of individual championship.

Now we could say that we have the 'group' champion Anand-Kramnik-Kasparov who faced Topalov.
Next time Topalov or other Anand oponent shall invite Wang-Yue, Ivanchuk, Aronian etc. for his team.

It will be the 'real individual' championship. :-(
Your logic assumes that either participant in the match has either a perfect memory, or remote access to his hardware/friends during the games. Sorry that your guy lost, but lose he did, in a very close match.

Jeremy
My guy ? May be... let it be. :-)

My logic is not assuming the access during the games but that the role of the preparation is extremly high now and is deciding factor . The good novelty equals the point in the match. 3 good novelties and match is over.

The way Anand prepared and performed the match is questioning the individual attribute of the title.

Lets say in correspondence play - computer aided - the player gets additional consultations from other top players . It is fair or not ?

There the player was getting consultations during the match - i.e. novelties.

rgds Hood
own brain.

But Gerold,the way you present it,they should then lock them in steel cages during the whole match,passing the food and water through the bars and let them out chained to the cages only during the games :shock:
Oh,and a toilet inside the cage of course regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Hood

Post by Hood »

BubbaTough wrote:
Anand was offered all that help because he is a good person and people like him. What better reason could there be? In response to their offers he handed them over huge portions of his preparation, a very trusting act. Note that this included likely future rivals in the next world championship match. The guy is a class act, and while "pleasant and trusting" does not always win (or even usually) over "suspicious and confrontational", its nice when it does.

-Sam
The help was offered or asked but the question is shall it be used ?
It was individual not the team competition.
Anand was not using such methods in the match vs Kramnik. Would he did that it would be the big rumours, probably.

All that shows that Anand was really afraid of Topalov and made all possible to win. ( Win for all cost :-( )

Eventhough Topalov was equal partner what showed that he is,was much better then Kramnik.

It gives another light to the 'toilettgate'. Without it Kramnik would lose in Elista.

rgds
Hood
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
lmader

Post by lmader »

Nonsense. Both players have a *TEAM* of GMs helping them between every game.
"The foundation of morality is to have done, once for all, with lying; to give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibilities of knowledge." - T. H. Huxley
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Hood wrote:

rgds Hood

You mean consultations at the chessboard while a match game is in progress.
Did Anand do that ? Then he should be disqualified. :D

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Post by Father »

Little Letter:

I wonder about the meaning of the final score of a top chess match competence.

In humble opinion, if the balance´ position or, ending results, finally depends of power of each team, on addition to the material computers helpers, then chess looks as a war between teams, not just as a competence between two individual brains.

How many humans cores(persons) and computers cores really have played in Mister Annand versus Mister Topalov combat? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: This is not bad for itself but this would have been the real reason for the victory ?.

My perception as amateur, about the match Annand - Topalov, is that it has been the best chess combat I have seen in many years. My best congratulations for these two giants warriors !!! :D :D

Before the match, Vishy Anand - Veselin Topalov I had had like an illness in my heart, because of probably I was thinking chess was ending into long moves and drawings games.... but no!!. :D :D :D :D :D ... The games between Vishy Anand - Veselin Topalov were games with wonderful tactics battles in the middle of the general chess war, Tactics in moves 20 or less ? !!! I could not belived it !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: What could said Mister Kapablanca if he were between us ? :shock: :shock: It(chess) looks like evergreen days and old eras.... no no no.!!! The wonderful chess is here again, :D :D and its future will be leaving with human being until the last day of history. I wonder. When, where, and whom, will be play this last game ?
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Hood

Post by Hood »

gerold wrote:
own brain.

:-)
The book you were reading by yourself ? It is other matter if you find sth then you get sth ready to use from someone else.

The problem is other then you are presenting.
Let say tennis, the match consists of games, sets. During the match player is not allowed to get any externl consultation nor help although there is the time for that. There are time breaks every 3 games.

Chess has its specific features, getting external advice i.e. strong novelty influences directly the result of the competition and it shall be forbidden.

The rules of the match have been allowing certain count of the seconds or supporters and it shall be followed.Skype, e-mail are breaking that barriera. Internet has changed the life but people have adjusted in the bad way. 'Our technology exceeds our humanity.'
That is the point. ;-)

rgds
Hood
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

Hood

Post by Hood »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: But Gerold,the way you present it,they should then lock them in steel cages during the whole match,passing the food and water through the bars and let them out chained to the cages only during the games :shock:
Oh,and a toilet inside the cage of course regards,
Dr.D
It would be the best :-).

Isolation of the players for the time of the match like in tennis.
Cui bono ?

Hood

Post by Hood »

lmader wrote:Nonsense. Both players have a *TEAM* of GMs helping them between every game.
Nonsense.
Cui bono ?

Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Hood wrote:
lmader wrote:Nonsense. Both players have a *TEAM* of GMs helping them between every game.
Nonsense.
No, fact...Topalov had a lot of help. All GM's at this level playing an important match have seconds. Also he had access to Blue Gene/L as well as the Super Rybka 4 cluster, as computers go Topalov had by far the best.
Terry McCracken