LMR at root of search tree - worthwhile?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: LMR at root of search tree - worthwhile?

Post by bob »

bob wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:I got small improvement from it.
Caution : Root move ordering could be messed up if you use nodes count to sort the moves. I had this bug http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#334554
Sorting on the cummulative nodes count from all the previous iterations (instead of just the previous one) solved this problem.
Note that the "L" in LMR means "late". I would likely not want to reduce the second move I search, which could be the previous best move.
When I get back to my office (I am out of town at the moment) I have some test runs on the cluster where I tried two different ways of dealing with LMR at the root. I played with this idea a couple of months back and think that one of the two versions was worth +50 Elo over the currently released 23.2, I'll have to collect all the cluster data and will post it either this weekend or on Monday. I have so many different sets of data it will take me some searching to figure out which version had only this change in it.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

When I tried to restrict LMR before nth move search at the root, I got worse results . That was actually counter-intuitive because restricting at PV nodes elsewhere always worked for me. However I did not do exhaustive test with different n valuse so it could totally be due to luck. It would be interesting to see your test results.

Daniel
bob

Post by bob »

Daniel Shawul wrote:When I tried to restrict LMR before nth move search at the root, I got worse results . That was actually counter-intuitive because restricting at PV nodes elsewhere always worked for me. However I did not do exhaustive test with different n valuse so it could totally be due to luck. It would be interesting to see your test results.

Daniel
I don't think I settled on "n" but rather on the node counts. I'll look at the code and post an explanation along with the data...
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

bob wrote:
bob wrote:
Caution : Root move ordering could be messed up if you use nodes count to sort the moves. I had this bug http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#334554
Sorting on the cummulative nodes count from all the previous iterations (instead of just the previous one) solved this problem.
Note that the "L" in LMR means "late". I would likely not want to reduce the second move I search, which could be the previous best move.
When I get back to my office (I am out of town at the moment) I have some test runs on the cluster where I tried two different ways of dealing with LMR at the root. I played with this idea a couple of months back and think that one of the two versions was worth +50 Elo over the currently released 23.2, I'll have to collect all the cluster data and will post it either this weekend or on Monday. I have so many different sets of data it will take me some searching to figure out which version had only this change in it.
wow +50 ELO - worthwhile, then :)

although depressing for those of us whose engines struggle to get near to 20% vs crafty, when they used to be much closer!
bob

Post by bob »

silentshark wrote:
bob wrote:
bob wrote:
wow +50 ELO - worthwhile, then :)

although depressing for those of us whose engines struggle to get near to 20% vs crafty, when they used to be much closer!
Yes, but remember that this is not about doing LMR at the root giving +50, it is about doing it "better". version 23.2 was simply reducing some things at the root that should not have been reduced. I am still trying various options of this as it is unlikely that my first "cut" was optimal...
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

bob wrote:
bob wrote:
hey bob, any chance of posting those cluster results?
bob

Post by bob »

silentshark wrote:
bob wrote:
bob wrote:
hey bob, any chance of posting those cluster results?
I am working on re-running them. If I happen to use the same version number for a second run, the first gets overwritten and the pgn is lost. I've started the runs again...