Komodo 1.2 update available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by swami »

Don wrote:I am curious about how much this test is affected by the hardware it is run on. For instance will running it on a computer 10x faster make it perform like a program that that can give you 10-1 time odds?
Yes. I think so. With better hardware, Scores will obviously be more. But I have limited hardware. It's Q6600, 2GB RAM and 2.4GHZ.

I could extend the time to compensate for the hardware disadvantage but I'm only interested in getting a rough idea about how much the engine has improved relative to the previous version, or how much it scored relative to other engines under same conditions.

Don wrote:The reason I ask is that we are interested in somehow "measuring" the knowledge contained in the program. Unfortunately I think this is a mostly impossible task. If you make the program faster, or improve the search, it also "appears" to be positionally stronger too.

It's rather ironic that I am more interested in the knowledge part and Larry is more interested in the search part. The irony is that Larry is better suited to help with the knowledge and I am better suited for working on the search! We both push each other to work on the other thing.
With any hardware, one can roughly measure the improvement over the previous versions, or atleast have some idea.

Historically, these epds have proved to give idea about general performance of many updates of other engines; ie whether it's improved slightly, or better or far more. It also gives idea about the area that the engine is weaker/stronger in.
swami

Post by swami »

Don wrote:I am not sure what this test measures, but I am pleased that it seems to indicate that Komodo is reasonably strong in knowledge.
and oh yeah, I can say for certain that I'm "confident" that this version will perform better than previous versions! :D
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

And a nice tournament is busy here!

http://home.halden.net/mordor/broadcast/