Critter and new UCI parameters?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Critter and new UCI parameters?

Post by Jouni »

New UCI options:

"GTB Path": Folder where tablebase files are located (default value: \gtb)
"GTB Cache": Size of tablebase cache in magabytes (dafault 32)
"GTB Compression": tablebase compression scheme (default "cp4")

"GTB Usage":
"Disable": Turn off tablebase probing. Useful for debugging/troubleshooting
"Only At Root": This does not slow down the search and allows for optimal play with less than 6 pieces left on the board
"Everywhere": Probe tablebases in search tree. IMO it is worth only for analysis. While it helps in some positions, it slows down the search too much and the engine is actually _weaker_ with this setting.

I don't se any of these in UCI parameters windows: do I need special GUI or Winboard interface?

Jouni
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Critter and new UCI parameters?

Post by Werner »

Hi Juoni,
I see them all inside Shredder GUI and Arena.
Here an example of my settings found in ArenaENG.cfg:

[Critter_0.70_64bit]
Hash=64
Ponder=false
OwnBook=true
MultiPV=1
Threads=2
Minimum Split Depth=5
GTB Path=\gtb
GTB Cache=32
GTB Compression=cp4
GTB Usage=Only At Root
Werner
rvida

Post by rvida »

Jouni wrote:New UCI options:

"GTB Usage":
"Only At Root": This does not slow down the search and allows for optimal play with less than 6 pieces left on the board
"Everywhere": Probe tablebases in search tree. IMO it is worth only for analysis. While it helps in some positions, it slows down the search too much and the engine is actually _weaker_ with this setting.

I don't se any of these in UCI parameters windows: do I need special GUI or Winboard interface?

Jouni
Tablebase related options will only appear if gtb32.dll (in 32bit windows) or gtb64.dll (in 64bit windows) is available in the same folder as the engine executable.

Try running the engine outside the GUI, directly double-clicking it in explorer to see if it can load this dll. It should at least give an error code in case of failure.

Richard
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Thanks that helped!

Great engine and beats easily Spark (60/3'):

1 Critter 0.70 64-bit 56.5/92 (+80)
2 spark-0.4 35.5/92

Jouni
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

rvida wrote:

"GTB Usage":

Jouni
Tablebase related options will only appear if gtb32.dll (in 32bit windows) or gtb64.dll (in 64bit windows) is available in the same folder as the engine executable.

Try running the engine outside the GUI, directly double-clicking it in explorer to see if it can load this dll. It should at least give an error code in case of failure.

Richard
Richard,

did you read this ?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 582#350582

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
rvida

Post by rvida »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
rvida wrote:

"GTB Usage":

Jouni

Richard
Richard,

did you read this ?

Matthias.
Yes, I have read it. I guess this is my reward (punishment?) for being an early adopter :(
There was no standard nor any recommendation, and I _had_ to give some names for these uci options. Now after critter 0.70 was released, You and Miguel have agreed on a naming convention...

Of course I will rename them (in the next release). But please be fair, and don't make it sound that I had done something wrong.

Richard
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

rvida wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
rvida wrote:

"GTB Usage":

Jouni

Richard
Richard,

did you read this ?

Matthias.
Yes, I have read it. I guess this is my reward (punishment?) for being an early adopter :(
There was no standard nor any recommendation, and I _had_ to give some names for these uci options. Now after critter 0.70 release You and Miguel have agreed on a naming convention...

Of course I will rename them (in the next release). But please be fair, and don't make it sound that I had done something wrong.

Richard
Of course not. It was my fault. People asked me here in the forum (I am almost sure it was Matthias), I had not idea what so say, and we came up with a name. I should have documented somewhere rather than leaving it as a comment here.

Miguel
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

rvida wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote: did you read this ?

Matthias.
There was no standard nor any recommendation, and I _had_ to give some names for these uci options. Now after critter 0.70 was released, You and Miguel have agreed on a naming convention...

Richard
I and Miguel actually agreed on this "long ago", when Daydreamer used gtb options that looked very different from Nalimov options.
The agreement was unfortunately only in programmers sub-forum, and not in gtb files.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de