Awful Experienced with Deep Junior 11.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Awful Experienced with Deep Junior 11.1

Post by fern »

As I already told in CTF, awful experiences are the destiny of the fan when playing the demo version of this engine, that has a limit of 16 ply. It gets there in just some seconds and the result is, for me, that I have lost games to Junior when I have used, say, 30 or 40 minutes of the 60 I alloted for each 40 moves for me, but the computer, to my amazement, has used LESS than a minute or so.
When playing with engines with no restraint so they goes until 22 or more ply, the engine uses, for the same reason, a good amount of the time alloted, which gives you, after the defeat, the illusion of having been mauled only after a decent or even arduous fight.
It is looking at that 60 seconds or less used to crush you when the truth appears, naked and awful: We are less than nothing in front of these monsters....

As I already told, Less than a minute regards
Fern
yanquis1972

Re: Awful Experienced with Deep Junior 11.1

Post by yanquis1972 »

junior in particular can probably be nastier before it gets the chance to really calculate against humans. like chess system tal it has a knack for complicating the position. i agree about the time factor; it is an embarrassment. shredder 12 at least fakes thinking at lower elo settings to prevent this shame to the user. i haven't tried hiarcs 13 yet but it may do that as well.

if you have the new rybka you can set it to use 1% of your cpu, so it will actually think honestly & as hard as it can in its lobotomized state. good luck :)
fern

Post by fern »

Thanks for the info, but i do not believe I will purchase R4. There are SO many free engines as strong or almost than it, but even if they are not THAT strong, they are in any case 400-600 points stronger than me. I have said it before: I will save my money to the day when a new and interesting program with interesting gui and new interesting services FOR ME comes to the front.

my best
Fern
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

fern wrote:Thanks for the info, but i do not believe I will purchase R4. There are SO many free engines as strong or almost than it, but even if they are not THAT strong, they are in any case 400-600 points stronger than me. I have said it before: I will save my money to the day when a new and interesting program with interesting gui and new interesting services FOR ME comes to the front.

my best
Fern
What would some of the services in a GUI be like to pique your interest?

By the way the Bobby Junior GUI that you can get at World Chess Live is a pretty fun GUI for just playing against Junior and the different leveled personalities. Each personality even seems to have it's own opening book. (I think!)
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

fern wrote:Thanks for the info, but i do not believe I will purchase R4. There are SO many free engines as strong or almost than it, but even if they are not THAT strong, they are in any case 400-600 points stronger than me. I have said it before: I will save my money to the day when a new and interesting program with interesting gui and new interesting services FOR ME comes to the front.

my best
Fern

Hi Fernando, I have the same luck with Junior. I am approx the same playing strength as you I believe, 2100 or so. Junior really mauls me! But, that is the fun isn't it?

However, I did purchase Rybka 4.0 and I will tell you this : you can learn from Rybka 4.0, it's a real predator! and understands things that ALOT of engines do not. It excells at pawn breaks and thus gaining an advantage with those unexpected breaks. But, also the style has changed completely and if I had to compare it to another engine for attacking and aggression I may say , "JUNIOR ??".
fern

Post by fern »

Thanks for the info, Robert. I will think again in this.....

2100 regards
Fern
fern

Post by fern »

Well, I am working on that precisely in this moment with a chess programmer. Sooner or later, if nothing stop us, you will see what I mean

Ciao
Fern
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

yes, the new rybka really likes to push pawns. still not as speculative as junior but of course much stronger overall.