OK, OK, OK, After all has been said.....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

OK, OK, OK, After all has been said.....

Post by fern »

...is it worth to get R4 for a guy like me that ONLY play the engines, never make analysis of his or another games, competitions between engines, etc?

Fern
Nimzovik

Re: OK, OK, OK, After all has been said.....

Post by Nimzovik »

U gots da money u gets it. U don gots da money u don'ts. Life short. Have da fun. Word. For reals.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Think i would wait until some tests are run to see how it works
out and how much is improved from Rybka 3.
Could be a surprise there. It may be about same as Rybka 3.

Best,
Gerold.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

fern wrote:...is it worth to get R4 for a guy like me that ONLY play the engines, never make analysis of his or another games, competitions between engines, etc?

Fern
Only you can make that decision.
Everyone will have different reasons to want it nor not want it.

Some people collect chess engines, and will want it simply to complete their collection.

Some people will get arcane pleasure out of getting stomped by the strongest commercial engine in the world.

Some people will analyze their games with it.

Some people will use it to ensure that they are not doing something stupid in a correspondence chess game.

Some people will use it to make their correspondence chess moves for them (shrug).

Some people will use it for EPD analysis to verify test sets.

Some people will use it in contests.

Some people will use it for IDEA analysis.

Some people will do who knows what with it.

If the things that the engine will do for you are worth the price, then get it.

P.S.

The price for the engine + Aquarium is very little more than the price for the engine alone.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:...is it worth to get R4 for a guy like me that ONLY play the engines, never make analysis of his or another games, competitions between engines, etc?

Fern
My answer is definitely no Fern,you have hundreds of chess engines and new versions coming everyday for free....only for playing the engine it doesn't worth it in my opinion....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

if you are looking for a new GUI to play with, you may wish to get R4 aquarium...i know you don't do analysis but the IDeA program actually makes it somewhat fun. aquarium is however hugely complex & often frustrating... for playing against, in my early judgment it has probably overtaken (i am somewhat sorry to say) hiarcs as the most fun of the elite engines to get stomped by. it is not as indirect in its methods of devastation as R3. you've mentioned junior; i believe it costs about the same if you were to buy it. for purely playing against you may want to go with junior -- it's much easier to change parameters (to make it crazy wild for example) & it's weaker & more messy. that makes it more fun imo. but match junior against rybka at any setting & junior will be lucky to win more than a game i'd wager.

i think the fact that you pose the question means you want it -- be impulsive and buy it. life is more fun that way. the most you lose is 80 bucks, & what's money. :)
fern

Post by fern »

Dear dan:
I have known of more explicit advices in the Delphi oracle...

Fern
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

No!
fern

Post by fern »

Yeah, money is nothing....but time is all. Each time you uses it for something, you lose it for another. I think I will follow your advice and get into Junior wagon...I have junior 8, I play it from time to time and it is really different to any other.
Thanks for the idea
Fern
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Fern

It really depends Fernando, I purchased it to help my chess. If you want to learn something i'd say yes, Rybka 4.0 seems to play certain position far better than others. So although I am not a fan of Vas, I am a fan of his engine.