Is There Such A Program

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

menniepals

Is There Such A Program

Post by menniepals »

My friend is a good chess trainer who lives in the Philippines. He is unable to have foreign students via online because he does not have the know how to do it or the money for it. ICC membership is even expensive for such people.
I suggested webcam and skype but it didn't work out well. Is there any suggestion for a freeware or software that can connect to the internet, set up boards and positions and play as well and do lectures? If only he can do this, it will be a lot of help for him and his family.
AdminX

Re: Is There Such A Program

Post by AdminX »

Maybe they can try this (ChessPlanet Standalone):

http://chessok.com/program/chessplanet_e.exe
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Albert Silver »

menniepals wrote:My friend is a good chess trainer who lives in the Philippines. He is unable to have foreign students via online because he does not have the know how to do it or the money for it. ICC membership is even expensive for such people.
I suggested webcam and skype but it didn't work out well. Is there any suggestion for a freeware or software that can connect to the internet, set up boards and positions and play as well and do lectures? If only he can do this, it will be a lot of help for him and his family.
Why webcam? He can use Skype just for audio and use the share screen option which allows the person he is spekaing with, to see his computer screen. He can then use any program he likes and show the moves. He might prefer to set something up with Playchess or Chessplanet though, otherwise he may find it difficult to get paid for his online classes. Both sites have an internal monetary system, widely used by the teachers and students for online transactions such as paying for classes.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Anything wrong with FICS + Skype?

-Sam
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

fics don't allow setting up of boards/positions
..but the feedback from this forum is proving to be very very beneficial...
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

I will try this option.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

How do you do that???
Dan Andersson

Post by Dan Andersson »

OpenRPG springs to mind. It is designed for pen and paper RPG games. It has been used for boardgames too. A whiteboard software would also serve.

MvH Dan Andersson
shiv

Post by shiv »

menniepals wrote:fics don't allow setting up of boards/positions
Just tried setting board and position and it works fine. Refer to http://www.freechess.org/Help/HelpFiles/setup.html for details. Let me know if something is missing from FICS, as it seems to have what one needs.

Also you can setup a fen position via "bsetup fen <fen>" and then "bsetup done" works. You can get FENs from almost any chess program e.g. Fritz, Chessbase, Scid etc.

I personally recommend Jin as a free client (jinchess.com). It is a good multi-platform client.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

In fact, FICS is completely free of charge and a very nice server ! You've to register here : http://www.freechess.org/Register/index.html

Personnaly, I use the Babachess interface (only available for Windows) : http://www.babaschess.net/

My best,
Vincent
shiv wrote:
menniepals wrote:fics don't allow setting up of boards/positions
Just tried setting board and position and it works fine. Refer to http://www.freechess.org/Help/HelpFiles/setup.html for details. Let me know if something is missing from FICS, as it seems to have what one needs.

Also you can setup a fen position via "bsetup fen <fen>" and then "bsetup done" works. You can get FENs from almost any chess program e.g. Fritz, Chessbase, Scid etc.

I personally recommend Jin as a free client (jinchess.com). It is a good multi-platform client.