UCI Implementation of Aquarium is broken (FEN positions)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

michiguel

UCI Implementation of Aquarium is broken (FEN positions)

Post by michiguel »

From the Gaviota logs that Marc Halstern reported to me I found that Aquarium sends

Code: Select all

position fen r1bqk2r/pppp1pbp/2n2np1/4p3/2P5/2N2NP1/PP1PPPBP/R1BQK2R w KQkq -
When it should send

position fen r1bqk2r/pppp1pbp/2n2np1/4p3/2P5/2N2NP1/PP1PPPBP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 1
It think this is a serious bug because it makes any engine who is strict about the UCI standard, unusable for analysis.

Miguel
PS: Is it the only one?
Dann Corbit

Re: UCI Implementation of Aquarium is broken (FEN positions)

Post by Dann Corbit »

michiguel wrote:From the Gaviota logs that Marc Halstern reported to me I found that Aquarium sends

When it should send

position fen r1bqk2r/pppp1pbp/2n2np1/4p3/2P5/2N2NP1/PP1PPPBP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 1
It think this is a serious bug because it makes any engine who is strict about the UCI standard, unusable for analysis.

Miguel
I do not know for certain, but I suspect that many front ends do not send the half move clock or the 50 move counter. In these cases, if I were king of the forest, I would simply assume 0 1.

In other words, default the values to 0 1 and then over-ride them if some thoughtful interface should provide them as it ought.

You are also likely to see even worse things like zeros for castling:
0-0-0 and 0-0 instead of the correct O-O-O and O-O

There are other atrocities as well.
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Dann Corbit wrote: You are also likely to see even worse things like zeros for castling:
UCI uses e1g1 notation for castling, you can't go very wrong there. the only downside is that it is incompatible with FRC
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

michiguel wrote:From the Gaviota logs that Marc Halstern reported to me I found that Aquarium sends

When it should send

Shredder GUI does exactly the same, and I agree that this is a serious bug. See this recent thread, it shows a position for which it is impossible to get the correct evaluation (draw) in Shredder.
I've reported the issue to the Shredder support team.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Edmund wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote: You are also likely to see even worse things like zeros for castling:
UCI uses e1g1 notation for castling, you can't go very wrong there. the only downside is that it is incompatible with FRC
Actually UCI uses coordinate notation also for FRC - the target square is the rook's square.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Houdini wrote:

When it should send

Shredder GUI does exactly the same, and I agree that this is a serious bug. See this recent thread, it shows a position for which it is impossible to get the correct evaluation (draw) in Shredder.
I've reported the issue to the Shredder support team.
That is not a problem in Shredder Linux (Demo)
:shock:

Miguel
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

Dann Corbit wrote:

When it should send

Miguel
I do not know for certain, but I suspect that many front ends do not send the half move clock or the 50 move counter. In these cases, if I were king of the forest, I would simply assume 0 1.

In other words, default the values to 0 1 and then over-ride them if some thoughtful interface should provide them as it ought.

You are also likely to see even worse things like zeros for castling:

There are other atrocities as well.
Right.

The golden rule of interoperability: Be as permissive as possible in what you accept as input, and as strict/canonical as possible in what you produce as output.

Yes, interfaces which are technically violating the spec should be fixed. However, they are out there and lots of people have the versions which violate the spec, and are not necessarily going to upgrade. Its often possible to interoperate with them anyway, by accepting their not-quite-conforming inputs. As long as this is not too burdensome, its a benefit to anyone who tries to use your engine with one of those interfaces.

Another example is interfaces with no winboard 2.0 support: they have no setboard, they can only use the edit commands and (IIRC) have no easy/standardized way to set things like castling status or enpassant square. But you can still "mostly" interoperate with them if you implement the edit commands and fall back to them when the interface doesn't support 2.0 and setboard -- you just have to decide if its worth the effort.