Goodbye Talkchess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

royb

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by royb »

Harvey Williamson wrote:'Be seeing you.'

10 points to anyone who can tell me where that line is from before Chris Conkie does.

Or should it be '2' points? Or maybe '6'?
It's from the TV show "The Prisoner". An awesome show!! And 2 refers to Number 2 and 6 to Number 6 (played by Patrick McGoohan)...
gerold

Post by gerold »

Sorry to see you go. You did a very good job and never
dropped the ball once.

Good Luck,
Gerold.
zamar

Post by zamar »

Pity.

For me the system where the "endless clone discussion" was put in Engine origins forum, but infrequent release announcements and analysis were tolerated in "General Topics" was perfect solution. Forum was open for discussion, but the solution avoided situation where >50% of posts in "General topics" were clone flamewars.

I ask company behind Talkchess.com to reconsider their solution. I hate cloning and have been personally convinced so far that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka, but as a writer of open source program and supporter of the right to free speech, I WILL NOT STAY ON THE FORUM WHICH IS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY UNDER CONTROL OF MONOPOLIZING CHESS COMPANY AND LEADING CHESS ENGINE AUTHOR.

So I really ask the company behind this forum to reconsider. Don't you understand that with your decision THIS FORUM IS DOOMED TO DEATH.

P.S. Sorry for yelling, you just made me very angry :evil: :evil: :evil:
Joona Kiiski
swami

Post by swami »

sockmonkey wrote:Hi,

I am finished with talkchess.com. The site administration and my co-moderator Graham Banks have made it impossible for me to continue as a moderator, and in a more extended sense, as a member of this community. Before I explain my reasons for leaving: I am starting a new, free, uncensored, (though unconditionally non-warez) computer chess site -- OpenChess -- which can be found at http://www.open-chess.org/ -- effective immediately. I hope that, with time, it will become a valuable alternative to talkchess.com, but without commercial influence over content, and without biased moderation or censorship of discussions in progress. I encourage anyone with an interest in computer chess, everyone who desires a forum where free, uncensored, tolerant discourse is possible, engine authors as well as testers and end-users, to join. There's not much there yet, but that's just a matter of time and your participation. As we populate and organize OpenChess, your suggestions are welcome.

That's a nice forum you have set up, Jeremy. I'm sure it will get more popular over time. I have registered it there.

It's a good idea to create a forum where commercial and money-minded businesses don't have control over anything.

Open Chess. Great!

"Your Move, ICD" controls Talkchess. This has been going on forever, there's always been a shop technique to influence the forums..Rybka forum has commercial engine.
Last edited by swami on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

zamar wrote:Pity.

For me the system where the "endless clone discussion" was put in Engine origins forum, but infrequent release announcements and analysis were tolerated in "General Topics" was perfect solution. Forum was open for discussion, but the solution avoided situation where >50% of posts in "General topics" were clone flamewars.

I ask company behind Talkchess.com to reconsider their solution. I hate cloning and have been personally convinced so far that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka, but as a writer of open source program and supporter of the right to free speech, I WILL NOT STAY ON THE FORUM WHICH IS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY UNDER CONTROL OF MONOPOLIZING CHESS COMPANY AND LEADING CHESS ENGINE AUTHOR.

So I really ask the company behind this forum to reconsider. Don't you understand that with your decision THIS FORUM IS DOOMED TO DEATH.

P.S. Sorry for yelling, you just made me very angry :evil: :evil: :evil:
Agree 100%.
bob

Post by bob »

swami wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:Hi,

I am finished with talkchess.com. The site administration and my co-moderator Graham Banks have made it impossible for me to continue as a moderator, and in a more extended sense, as a member of this community. Before I explain my reasons for leaving: I am starting a new, free, uncensored, (though unconditionally non-warez) computer chess site -- OpenChess -- which can be found at http://www.open-chess.org/ -- effective immediately. I hope that, with time, it will become a valuable alternative to talkchess.com, but without commercial influence over content, and without biased moderation or censorship of discussions in progress. I encourage anyone with an interest in computer chess, everyone who desires a forum where free, uncensored, tolerant discourse is possible, engine authors as well as testers and end-users, to join. There's not much there yet, but that's just a matter of time and your participation. As we populate and organize OpenChess, your suggestions are welcome.

That's a nice forum you have set up, Jeremy. I'm sure it will get more popular over time. I have registered it there.

It's a good idea to create a forum where commercial and money-minded businesses don't have control over anything.

Open Chess. Great!

"Your Move, ICD" controls Talkchess. This has been going on forever, there's always been a shop technique to influence the forums..Rybka forum has commercial engine.
Actually that is incorrect. When Steve owned ICD chess, and Tim was our sysadmin, things went well. Absolutely zero interference.

I'm off to check out the new forum as anything has to be better than the current mess left here. Congrats, I never thought a couple of people could destroy CCC this effectively. Once again, I was wrong.
swami

Post by swami »

bob wrote:I'm off to check out the new forum as anything has to be better than the current mess left here.

Open Chess is a nice forum created by him, Bob, and it is nice to see many people joining up. 8-)

I hope you will become an active member there.
NJDenson

Post by NJDenson »

Well, i been around for some time. Even to a point of selling dedicated computers for ICD. I even did some tourny's while living in the state of FL. I always like the open dialog that were allowed here that seems free of censoring. Its sad to see where things are going. If the same was done to Rybka during its early development I guess there would be no Rybka 4 today. I want to see the development of chess in a whole and recent events has helped developers in a whole. When do you give back to those that pioneered this age of programs. I guess its all coming down to commercialization. When new forum opens please send me the link or post here. Hopefully it is not deleted. Its all about the Money !!! and nothing to do with the development of Computer Chess.
bob

Post by bob »

swami wrote:
bob wrote:I'm off to check out the new forum as anything has to be better than the current mess left here.

Open Chess is a nice forum created by him, Bob, and it is nice to see many people joining up. 8-)

I hope you will become an active member there.
waiting on the registration confirmation, then that's where I will post from here on...

I've had more than enough of the moderation nonsense here. Let Graham and Sam enjoy moderating each other when this finally falls apart... This started going to hell in a handbasket when Steve decided to retire... Really enjoyed working with him for years.
BTO7

Post by BTO7 »

Great move ...we will all support you there. This is crazy around here....obviously biased. We play chess....we love engines ...dont need the hand cuffs on for sure. Short time i have been here it looks to me Banks is the underlying reason too.

Catch you there
BT