Goodbye Talkchess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gaard
Full name: Martin W

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by gaard »

Already registered and posting. Though I haven't been a member here long, I've stalked the forums for a long time and I saw this coming quite a while ago... glad to see you spearhead this. Thanks.
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

BTO7 wrote:Great move ...we will all support you there. This is crazy around here....obviously biased. We play chess....we love engines ...dont need the hand cuffs on for sure. Short time i have been here it looks to me Banks is the underlying reason too.

Catch you there
BT
That looks great, all the trolls are leaving... well, some collateral damage, but time will heal wounds... ;)

Greets, Thomas
bob

Post by bob »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
BTO7 wrote:Great move ...we will all support you there. This is crazy around here....obviously biased. We play chess....we love engines ...dont need the hand cuffs on for sure. Short time i have been here it looks to me Banks is the underlying reason too.

Catch you there
BT
That looks great, all the trolls are leaving... well, some collateral damage, but time will heal wounds... ;)

Greets, Thomas
There are more than "trolls" leaving. But I suppose you won't understand that at all...
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

bob wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:

Catch you there
BT

Greets, Thomas
There are more than "trolls" leaving. But I suppose you won't understand that at all...
Well, you didn't get me, Bob. The others are the collateral damage.
I mean if Rolf turns up he might follow as well. ;)

Greets, Thomas
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

zamar wrote:I hate cloning and have been personally convinced so far that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka, but as a writer of open source program and supporter of the right to free speech
No offense, but I think your arguments are odd. The announcement I read asked to be less lenient about posting announcements in the General Topics subforum, essentially promoting the clones, and to move them to the CEO.

If you think they are clones of Rybka, and thus that a professional colleague's work is being distributed via these forums, how do you reconcile allowing them? If you had stated you were not convinced they were clones, I might have understood, but instead you are professing that his work should be stolen and disseminated here in the name of free speech??
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Albert Silver wrote:
zamar wrote:I hate cloning and have been personally convinced so far that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka, but as a writer of open source program and supporter of the right to free speech
No offense, but I think your arguments are odd. The announcement I read asked to be less lenient about posting announcements in the General Topics subforum, essentially promoting the clones, and to move them to the CEO.

If you think they are clones of Rybka, and thus that a professional colleague's work is being distributed via these forums, how do you reconcile allowing them? If you had stated you were not convinced they were clones, I might have understood, but instead you are professing that his work should be stolen and disseminated here in the name of free speech??
Reread this part:
The moderation team was informed yesterday by the site administrator, Sam Hull, that the site owners, Your Move Chess & Games/ICD, want the moderation team to aggressively remove links and any posts which could be seen as "encouragement to acquire software of questionable legitimacy". "Software of questionable legitimacy" obviously refers to the engines derived from the source code known as I--- (I censor myself here to avoid being banned to the CEO forum by Graham), and the request was justified by the various commercial partnerships which YMC&G/ICD maintains.
This is obviously against the charter.
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Post by tjfroh »

Mr. Bernstein,

ICD/YourMove owns Talkchess.com and controls the content therein. The only reason that I can post crap is that the owners of this site/company have known me for a long time. They know me to be a benign fellow with no malicious intent.

The owners of Talkchess are in the entertainment business. The main reason for these blog sites is to encourage heated debates about computer chess and the larger world. If they determine that a post might affect sales then they are free to remove it. What else would you expect from legitimate sales people?

Tj, living in the real world
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

This was needed a loooong time ago.... :roll:

Ooh, and it uses phpBB3.

Anyway, I signed up as 'Peter C' there too.

I think I'll still hang around Talkchess for a bit to see the end. This could get epic. I guess. :P

Congrats on your decision Jeremy,
Peter
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Post by Father »

Jun2 9, 2010

Good evening Thomas Mayer (Thomas Mayer).

How are you Sir?!! ?

What a good days were these when the beautiful “Comp Quark” used to be in main room from playchess.com. I can remember the hundreds of games the machine won to me.

If God get me the chance and you the opportunities, what a nice being to play against comp quark in main room.

The Main room with some chess engines into it, and then, many persons playing for free against commercial and not commercial engines was a very good experience...

Because of I have been very concentrated in man versus machines; I have not understood the meaning of this post. Today I put in the morning a game in played against Houdini, my first game, my first victory. Even tough the Houdini did not have any time, and the watch appear TIEMPO in my favor a victories on time, the machine to continue playing without time and with out acceptation of it’s loose, since the move 165 until the last move 195 more or less, when the machine claimed a draw by repetition. I claimed that THIS IS A CHESS COMPUTER TIME CHEATER, but the post was eraser and my game … I don’t understood the reason, the same that all these posts, just I played on a desk the game, and could discover that Houdini is a cheater. I won the game… now some hours after were removed my post I don’t understand yet why it was removed…

Not hate is a VIP attitude on life. Times fly, and feel hate each other is one of the biggest waste of time ever been ... What a stupid arrogance are on Earth. I would like hear in this forum, just feels everybody love themselves, help ourselves, and never never hate each other.

Best regards,

Father playches.com user
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Father wrote:Jun2 9, 2010

Good evening Thomas Mayer (Thomas Mayer).

How are you Sir?!! ?

What a good days were these when the beautiful “Comp Quark” used to be in main room from playchess.com. I can remember the hundreds of games the machine won to me.

If God get me the chance and you the opportunities, what a nice being to play against comp quark in main room.

The Main room with some chess engines into it, and then, many persons playing for free against commercial and not commercial engines was a very good experience...

Because of I have been very concentrated in man versus machines; I have not understood the meaning of this post. Today I put in the morning a game in played against Houdini, my first game, my first victory. Even tough the Houdini did not have any time, and the watch appear TIEMPO in my favor a victories on time, the machine to continue playing without time and with out acceptation of it’s loose, since the move 165 until the last move 195 more or less, when the machine claimed a draw by repetition. I claimed that THIS IS A CHESS COMPUTER TIME CHEATER, but the post was eraser and my game … I don’t understood the reason, the same that all these posts, just I played on a desk the game, and could discover that Houdini is a cheater. I won the game… now some hours after were removed my post I don’t understand yet why it was removed…

Not hate is a VIP attitude on life. Times fly, and feel hate each other is one of the biggest waste of time ever been ... What a stupid arrogance are on Earth. I would like hear in this forum, just feels everybody love themselves, help ourselves, and never never hate each other.

Best regards,

Father playches.com user
Oh, my god... :? :roll: