Yet another reason to hate ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Olivier Deville

Yet another reason to hate ChessBase

Post by Olivier Deville »

I have purchased Fritz12 the other day.

As you may know, I am visually impaired. As usual, it asks for the serial code that is written on the booklet. I have tools to read this, so this is not a problem for me.

But now it wants me to type another code that is embedded in a picture. And no alternative way is offered (for instance, code delivered by sound).

I had to ask somebody to read the code for me.

A shame.

Olivier
seemychess

Re: Yet another reason to hate ChessBase

Post by seemychess »

i understand what you are saying. i am diabetic with retenopathy surgery in both eyes. blind in left eye and nearly blind in right eye. to make it accexxable to all would be nice of chessbase. being visual impaired is a challenge to us.

steve
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hi Olivier,

The use of these codes is quite common. The are used for all sorts of things even signing up to forums.

However you make a good point and I have passed it on to CB.

Best Wishes,
Harvey
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Hi Olivier,

The use of these codes is quite common. The are used for all sorts of things even signing up to forums.

Best Wishes,
Harvey
Well, the use of such codes isn't the problem as far as I understood. Olivier gave already a solution -> code delivery by sound. Slowly this also gets common in the web, e.g. take a look at the Lanap Captcha. Shouldn't be to complicate for CB, most needed things are already included in their package like sound files for numbers and at least for A-H.

Greets, Thomas
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Thomas Mayer wrote:

Best Wishes,
Harvey
Well, the use of such codes isn't the problem as far as I understood. Olivier gave already a solution -> code delivery by sound. Slowly this also gets common in the web, e.g. take a look at the Lanap Captcha. Shouldn't be to complicate for CB, most needed things are already included in their package like sound files for numbers and at least for A-H.

Greets, Thomas
Another option is a simple question - How many squares on a chessboard - or something similar.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:

Best Wishes,
Harvey

Greets, Thomas
Another option is a simple question - How many squares on a chessboard - or something similar.
That would be great.
These codes i have to write 4 or more times to get it right.
I can see ok. The codes are so messed up who can read
them. Some ever have difference colors to cloud the
issue. The colors are almost the same color as the
code itself. Sometimes i say the heck with it.

Best,
Gerold.