Open-Chess Forum

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Open-Chess Forum

Post by swami »

It's nice to see many people signing up in http://www.open-chess.org
Many members have registered so far soon after the forum was created.

Talkchess: General Topics still doesn't allow links to download Robbolito/Houdini/Ivanhoe because the "Your Move, ICD and company" has requested that the links be removed to EO.

Therefore, Open-Chess is a good alternative to discuss about computer chess, programming and results.
swami

Re: Open-Chess Forum

Post by swami »

All the features of the board are now improved upon based on member's feedback.

* Chess games can be replayed in forum itself.
* Feature of the forum software is the latest.
* No censorship.
* Options to choose several themes.
* Faster loading speed.
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

swami wrote:All the features of the board are now improved upon based on member's feedback.

* No censorship.
* Faster loading speed.
Hi Swami,

Do you think that you were elected as moderator to promote other forums ? I just wonder... Why didn't you wrote it initially in your moderators philosophy that you want another place ?

Greets, Thomas
swami

Post by swami »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
swami wrote:All the features of the board are now improved upon based on member's feedback.

* No censorship.
* Faster loading speed.
Hi Swami,

Do you think that you were elected as moderator to promote other forums ? I just wonder... Why didn't you wrote it initially in your moderators philosophy that you want another place ?

Greets, Thomas
Hi Thomas,

As for the philosophy, just like Jeremy, I had wrote that the links to download these engines would be Ok. Now that ICD shop doesn't want it, what would you say then?

I'm not promoting the other forums. I just want to introduce the kind of things that haven't been said about new forum. After all it was ONLY created today!

It's not like there's a _competition_ between forums. I enjoy computer chess, and I shall say things about Rybka forum, talkchess, Open-Chess.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

swami wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:

* No censorship.
* Faster loading speed.
Hi Swami,

Greets, Thomas
Hi Thomas,

As for the philosophy, just like Jeremy, I had wrote that the links to download these engines would be Ok. Now that ICD shop doesn't want it, what would you say then?

I'm not promoting the other forums. I just want to introduce the kind of things that haven't been said about new forum.

It's not like there's a competition between forums. I enjoy computer chess, and I shall say things about Rybka forum, talkchess, Open-Chess.
Whatever the justifications, he is correct that you are promoting another forum. If you merely announced it existed, it is one thing, when you give constant updates on features and reasons to go there, you are promoting it.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
swami

Post by swami »

Albert Silver wrote:
swami wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:

* No censorship.
* Faster loading speed.
Hi Swami,

Greets, Thomas
Hi Thomas,

I'm not promoting the other forums. I just want to introduce the kind of things that haven't been said about new forum.

It's not like there's a competition between forums. I enjoy computer chess, and I shall say things about Rybka forum, talkchess, Open-Chess.
Whatever the justifications, he is correct that you are promoting another forum. If you merely announced it existed, it is one thing, when you give constant updates on features and reasons to go there, you are promoting it.

I have never given any reasons to abandon CCC. I haven't even given any "constant" updates. It's the first ever update. About the new things in Open chess that's unique like.... chess game replay.
John Conway

Post by John Conway »

swami wrote:It's nice to see many people signing up in http://www.open-chess.org

Talkchess: General Topics still doesn't allow links to download Robbolito/Houdini/Ivanhoe because the "Your Move, ICD and company" has requested that the links be removed to EO.

Therefore, Open-Chess is a good alternative to discuss about computer chess, programming and results.
I'm glad to see that Your Move still allows links to places that allow links to Robbo etc. :D
Hood

Post by Hood »

Albert Silver wrote:
Is it forbidden ? If not what a problem.

It seems that the posters here are bit betrayed so mod elected by posters is showing solidarity with them. Nice gesture.

rgds
Hood
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

Albert Silver wrote:
swami wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:

* No censorship.
* Faster loading speed.
Hi Swami,

Greets, Thomas
Hi Thomas,

And now you want to ban promotion of an alternative non-commercial forum which does not ban other forums. Keep the information controlled. Don't let people know about the benefits of an alternative forum that allows unrestricted discussions of computer chess.

Is this the rule: you can mention the existence of another computer chess forum, but you cannot post any information about the features, purpose or benefits of the other forum.

Of course, the policy is to prevent people from leaving CCC and going to another forum where they may discover information about computer chess that is censored in CCC.

Go ahead, mince words ...
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

swami wrote:It's nice to see many people signing up in http://www.open-chess.org

Since moving threads to another subforum is inconvenient for the reader, the solution is to move them to another forum altogether. :?

Miguel