First robot blitz chess tournament in 2011

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

First robot blitz chess tournament in 2011

Post by Sean Evans »

http://rt.com/Sci_Tech/2010-06-10/presi ... robot.html

The future event is to be the first international competition where man-made players will be required to not only chose their moves, but also manipulate real pieces and switch the game clock. Due to the five-minute time limit in blitz chess, the robots must think and move very quickly.
I think this type of annual competition is good. It would be nice to have my computer opponent move the pieces, etc., to make it more realistic.

I know that current robot arms breakdown quite often, so this tournament should improve that!

Cordially,

Sean :)
Albert Silver

Re: First robot blitz chess tournament in 2011

Post by Albert Silver »

Sean Evans wrote:

The future event is to be the first international competition where man-made players will be required to not only chose their moves, but also manipulate real pieces and switch the game clock. Due to the five-minute time limit in blitz chess, the robots must think and move very quickly.
I think this type of annual competition is good. It would be nice to have my computer opponent move the pieces, etc., to make it more realistic.

I know that current robot arms breakdown quite often, so this tournament should improve that!

Cordially,

Chances are that the fastest one will win. Should be interesting to see two competing robots fight over the same board. After all, what happens if my robot is faster but yours is slow to move its arm out of the way?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Sean Evans

Re: First robot blitz chess tournament in 2011

Post by Sean Evans »

Albert Silver wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Chances are that the fastest one will win. Should be interesting to see two competing robots fight over the same board. After all, what happens if my robot is faster but yours is slow to move its arm out of the way?
Maybe they will arm wrestle :lol: