Accounts to delete

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Accounts to delete

Post by Graham Banks »

mariaclara wrote::lol: Oh well.

this isn't the real world.

but to some,

this is all they have in this world.

Nope. I won't tell him to "get a life "

cos this is it :!:
I don't think that comments like that are necessary, Clare Marie.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

S.Taylor wrote:
mariaclara wrote:
Jeremy,

Altho I will check out your new forum,

giving up isn't the way to go.

I will say now, that I'm not at all sure it is right to make a new forum. I mean, I'd say THAT isn't the way to go.
The intent is to hijack THIS forum, I believe.
It looks like a very evil design, with evil intent.
Or they simply want an alternative forum that is not handicapped by a capricious, undefined, constantly changing censorship policy.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

sockmonkey wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:But this too, might break up this whole, long-established club, which is not very nice.
It would surely be better if ccc/ctf could be improved instead.
Maybe you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head. OpenChess isn't a club, it's a discussion forum. Clubs are exclusive. We're inclusive.

Jeremy
This is a bizarre comment because you don't believe elections will work in your forum (you just "like" them). Ironically, you were elected here. You were the majority, and left because you could not control the "minority", not because your philosophy was proscribed. And somehow, this club is "exclusive" because you were recommended to move certain threads to another sub-forum. That is debatable, but certainly not exclusive.

Miguel
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I swear sometimes I wonder if the guys behind all these adult names are children. This is simply the most childish behavior. I see no problem with opening another forum and I wish it the best. But to go around and try to rally mass exodus really is silly and actually a bit funny. Guys get a life ... we are talking about computer chess. And even in such a narrow field you will have disagreements and that is part of it. I know that quite a few times I was disgusted by some things that were happening and some people's posts. But hey I can live with that. In the end if we would put the amount of people interested in computer chess the number would probably be less than 200 people. Internet has a way of getting all those people together where they can discuss issues. If you would meet one of those people at a party, the two would probably become life time friends .. yet here they can become bitter enemies.

CCC will continue, and passionate arguments will continue. There will always be some nice guys and there will always be some AH's. Even the posters who are posting that they will never come back ... will come back eventually. Sometimes it is good to leave, but eventually you realize this is after all just a hobby ... not more and not less ... and you will treat it as such.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

M ANSARI wrote:I swear sometimes I wonder if the guys behind all these adult names are children. This is simply the most childish behavior. I see no problem with opening another forum and I wish it the best. But to go around and try to rally mass exodus really is silly and actually a bit funny. Guys get a life ... we are talking about computer chess. And even in such a narrow field you will have disagreements and that is part of it. I know that quite a few times I was disgusted by some things that were happening and some people's posts. But hey I can live with that. In the end if we would put the amount of people interested in computer chess the number would probably be less than 200 people. Internet has a way of getting all those people together where they can discuss issues. If you would meet one of those people at a party, the two would probably become life time friends .. yet here they can become bitter enemies.

CCC will continue, and passionate arguments will continue. There will always be some nice guys and there will always be some AH's. Even the posters who are posting that they will never come back ... will come back eventually. Sometimes it is good to leave, but eventually you realize this is after all just a hobby ... not more and not less ... and you will treat it as such.
I agree. Unfortunately, I may miss all the silliness will come in the next month. The World Cup just started :-)

Miguel
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

michiguel wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:But this too, might break up this whole, long-established club, which is not very nice.
Maybe you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head. OpenChess isn't a club, it's a discussion forum. Clubs are exclusive. We're inclusive.

Jeremy
This is a bizarre comment because you don't believe elections will work in your forum (you just "like" them). Ironically, you were elected here. You were the majority, and left because you could not control the "minority", not because your philosophy was proscribed. And somehow, this club is "exclusive" because you were recommended to move certain threads to another sub-forum. That is debatable, but certainly not exclusive.

Miguel
I'm not sure if elections will work, is what I said. Priority 1: uncensored discussion, Priority 2: democracy. It's quite simple.

I am leaving talkchess because the fundamental structure of the site (commercial sponsor) permits the minority view to be asserted against the will of the majority. It's not a question of control, it's a question of whether the majority can be undermined through outsider (commercial) influence. This has been a theme throughout the moderation term -- either from the side of the administration or the users of the minority opinion: "be careful/do it our way or the site will be shut down by the sponsor".

My comments regarding exclusivity were directed toward Graham's derisive comments, above.

Jeremy
http://www.open-chess.org : Independent Computer Chess Discussion Forum
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

M ANSARI wrote:I swear sometimes I wonder if the guys behind all these adult names are children. This is simply the most childish behavior. I see no problem with opening another forum and I wish it the best. But to go around and try to rally mass exodus really is silly and actually a bit funny. Guys get a life ... we are talking about computer chess. And even in such a narrow field you will have disagreements and that is part of it. I know that quite a few times I was disgusted by some things that were happening and some people's posts. But hey I can live with that. In the end if we would put the amount of people interested in computer chess the number would probably be less than 200 people. Internet has a way of getting all those people together where they can discuss issues. If you would meet one of those people at a party, the two would probably become life time friends .. yet here they can become bitter enemies.

An excellent point of view....I wish more people can think like this....
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Cheers,
Dr.D

one has to admit it is an interesting turn of events Dr.D
outside commercial interests ..perceiving a weakness in our sponsor and a sensitivity to threats of legal action ..have peppered our sponsor with legal threats in an effort to suppress discussion/links..etc..etc.. of the derivatives
as a result ..a group breaks away to continue those very discussions
so now we have two forms that will be discussing the derivatives whereas before there was one
ok with the minor exception that our derivative forum is hidden to unregistered lurkers while the other forums is not

sort of like cutting off one head only to have two grow back in its place
The Medusa Sends Her Regards
Steve
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

sockmonkey wrote:
michiguel wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:

Jeremy

Miguel
I'm not sure if elections will work, is what I said. Priority 1: uncensored discussion, Priority 2: democracy. It's quite simple.
I am sure they will work at your place.

You are not scared of making elections there are you?

:lol:

Be serious Jeremy. I understand that you want to control your own place....just don't say it is democratic because it's not. It is a dictatorship as is your right if you pay the bills.

So what is different?

The boot may well be on the other foot soon which would be quite amusing all things considered.

Imagine all those false sign-ups coming your way soon........

Democracy? You can't have that without free and fair elections.

When are you going to set them up?

:)

Chris
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Cheers,
Dr.D

one has to admit it is an interesting turn of events Dr.D
outside commercial interests ..perceiving a weakness in our sponsor and a sensitivity to threats of legal action ..have peppered our sponsor with legal threats in an effort to suppress discvussion/links..etc..etc.. of the derivatives
as a result ..a group breaks away to continue those very discussions
so now we have two forms that will be discussing the derivatives whereas before there was one
ok with the minor exception that our derivative forum is hidden to unregistered lurkers while the other forums is not is not

sort of like cutting off one head only to have two grow back in its place
The Medusa Sends Her Regards
Steve
Yeah Steve,you analysed the position just fine....I can add that these two heads will bite each other all the time....the two headed creature will never live in peace....
Dr.D

P.S.That reminds me of a good laugh I had once....

A two headed medusa lived once in a far mountain....one of it's heads was an alcoholic,drink big amounts of alcohol all night long,the other head hated alcohol and never consume it....
Once the sobor head said:I am pissed off of you drinking all night long everyday....
The drunk head asked:why,do I bother you?
The other head said:Of course you bother me....you drink all night long and in the morning the two of us puke all day long :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….