Open-Chess Forum

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Olivier Deville

Re: Open-Chess Forum

Post by Olivier Deville »

Steve B wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:
all of the other chess computer sites have mods appointed by the site owner which results in a severely limited freedom of discussion..this is perfectly understandable because the chief reason for the existence of these sites is to promote their products for sale and its either "their way or the highway" ..you know this when you sign up
Untrue at least for the Winboard Forum. The moderator does the job for free and the Winboard GUI is free as well.

Olivier
not sure what is untrue?
i did not say that the mods were paid on the commercial sites
i simply said they were appointed by the site owners
my guess is that hardly any of them are paid and they are probably all volunteers
Regards Steve
OK Steve, the language barrier is guilty here :)

Olivier
Last edited by Olivier Deville on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier Deville

Post by Olivier Deville »

Roger Brown wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:
all of the other chess computer sites have mods appointed by the site owner which results in a severely limited freedom of discussion..this is perfectly understandable because the chief reason for the existence of these sites is to promote their products for sale and its either "their way or the highway" ..you know this when you sign up
Untrue at least for the Winboard Forum. The moderator does the job for free and the Winboard GUI is free as well.

Olivier

Hello Olivier,

So you see, now everybody knows my current salary.

:-)

I mean, no benefits even!

The issue has been raised as to whether discussions of certain types would be allowed at the Winboard Forum.

I say here that there is no kill switch as exists on some radio stations where offensive content is censored in the delay before airing.

Discuss whatever you like.

Now if we could talk about my wage demands.....

Later.
Hi Roger

You are right... I think I am going to double your salary !

Olivier
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Inded - I am compelled to assert in terms of propriety and excellent conduct there may be a conflict of interest if a moderator is also a moderator at another forum - this is just IMHO. Also I dare say that to promote another forum on this forum is........ questionable by my lights IMHO. A feature I would like to highlight about this forum is the now rather extensive database in terms of it's search engine for prior posts. Much is to be gleaned there. Some History as well. I wonder if there are any robbolito creator participants in terms of some of the disidents that may be hiding under bogus I. D.'s. If so that would explain a lot. I admire the ethics of this forum. I beleive the solution they have worked out in regard to the Robo question to be quite reasonable and in the honest pursuit of what they feel to be just. I personally find no difficulty what so ever to go to the Engine Origins Room to discuss matters in terms of the Robbo engines. Note also the link isssue is of no real legitimate concern to me as I do believe people can use the keyword search quite easily. I wonder if some of the mal content here is generated by those (robbo creator participants ) that might just possibly gain in some manner (Although I do not know just how) in exploiting this forum for their 'products'. Indeed perhaps some credibility is lent to them if allowed to 'advertise' here? I do not say that Robbo is or is not a legitimate engine (stolen or not) as it is beyond my ken to determine. I do however find it disconcerting that this fine forum is somewhat besmirched for 'acting in good faith.' I personally will never criticize a person or entity for the pursuit of their conscience. Their decison is respected by me. I also respect them for providing me this forum for F-r-e-e. They have provided me with stellar service for years pro deo.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Nimzovik wrote:Inded - I am compelled to assert in terms of propriety and excellent conduct there may be a conflict of interest if a moderator is also a moderator at another forum - this is just IMHO. Also I dare say that to promote another forum on this forum is........ questionable by my lights IMHO. A feature I would like to highlight about this forum is the now rather extensive database in terms of it's search engine for prior posts. Much is to be gleaned there. Some History as well. I wonder if there are any robbolito creator participants in terms of some of the disidents that may be hiding under bogus I. D.'s. If so that would explain a lot. I admire the ethics of this forum. I beleive the solution they have worked out in regard to the Robo question to be quite reasonable and in the honest pursuit of what they feel to be just. I personally find no difficulty what so ever to go to the Engine Origins Room to discuss matters in terms of the Robbo engines. Note also the link isssue is of no real legitimate concern to me as I do believe people can use the keyword search quite easily. I wonder if some of the mal content here is generated by those (robbo creator participants ) that might just possibly gain in some manner (Although I do not know just how) in exploiting this forum for their 'products'. Indeed perhaps some credibility is lent to them if allowed to 'advertise' here? I do not say that Robbo is or is not a legitimate engine (stolen or not) as it is beyond my ken to determine. I do however find it disconcerting that this fine forum is somewhat besmirched for 'acting in good faith.' I personally will never criticize a person or entity for the pursuit of their conscience. Their decison is respected by me. I also respect them for providing me this forum for F-r-e-e. They have provided me with stellar service for years pro deo.
Nice speech.
You got my vote. :)
I now select you as one of the next Moderators.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. I know the election is not until next month but just
as well get the ball rolling. :)
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Olivier Deville wrote:
Hi Roger

Olivier

SWEET!!

Later.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Roger Brown wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:
Hi Roger

Olivier

SWEET!!

Later.
While you are at it, get ours doubled too.....

....sooner rather than later.

:)
gerold

Post by gerold »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:
Hi Roger

Olivier

SWEET!!

Later.

Thank you thank you, Thank you thank you.
Happy now. :)
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

gerold wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:
Hi Roger

Olivier

SWEET!!

Later.

Thank you thank you, Thank you thank you.
Happy now. :)
No....we want the money not thanks.

Let me see....that's £0 times two. I won't spend it all at once.....

Chris
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

No one is promoting anything here. It is worth mentioning that a new forum has started.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

but no thanks.

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com