Volunteer tester for Crab

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Look

Volunteer tester for Crab

Post by Look »

Hi

I want to make a few changes to stockfish 1.7.1 . If you want to co-operate for testing and have a decent hardware(core2duo CPU or better) you may call. Note that you have to spare some CPU and brain cycles. This may take about a week or two and if we found improvements we may publish it.
alpha123

Re: Volunteer tester for Crab

Post by alpha123 »

Do we sign up in this thread?

Peter
Look

Re: Volunteer tester for Crab

Post by Look »

Do we sign up in this thread?

Peter
Hi

Well I am glad you showed up, I am not such an official guy though :). here is a basic idea: Lets consider this as a team work. I can post complete code which would be stockfish with slight changes or just the changes and give it a unique version. After that others can argue which change seems to be a better candidate and if possible we try to make it better. Then we ask someone to compile it according to tester OS. the executable should run at a speed close to say albets ones.

Then comes testers job. Test is expected to be done within about 2 days for each change. games with something like 1min+50ms per move time control with a neutral book like what they use in CEGT, CCRL rating lists.After a few tests we can see if there could be improvements along the way. Meanwhile we can ask how to improve this procedure too. So anyone interested who wants to contribute can post here and discuss issues.

Now if you and others are interested you can post again here. If you want to test tell your OS and the approximate speed which latest stockfish runs on your system.