Is ChrisW Right??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: Is ChrisW Right??

Post by Steve B »

Michael Diosi wrote:

You mean like moderators calling members "knee-jerkers" ? Maybe you should show the members here how you were talking about them in the moderator forum.
how do you know what the mods talk about in the mod forum?
Steve
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Steve B wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:These same "chess policemen", given moderator powers, spend their free time checking up on your IP address, calling your office to figure out whether you're really an african from Zambia, and similar. If you're cool with this sort of activity, no biggie. I'm not ok with it, nor with an administrative policy which tolerates it.

Jeremy
no body was "given" moderator powers here
all mods were voted in by the members
unlike your new forum where the current mods are appointed
the things you are now mentioning probably happened in the CTF and not in the CCC
members can vote mods in or out
i dont defend actions like that and i would not vote for mods who engage in that sort of activity
the only censorship you can point to is that unregistered lurkers cannot read all forums
thats what it comes down to at the end of the day
Steve
Ask Paul Wise why his account was disabled for a while earlier this term. If he doesn't know, ask Graham.

Jeremy
http://www.open-chess.org : Independent Computer Chess Discussion Forum
daws

Post by daws »

Albert Silver wrote:
daws wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Steve B wrote:AFAIK this is currently being discussed by the members and certainly not happening as any sort of directive from the sponsor
AFAIK its decided by Sam Hull
Sam Hull wrote:I have gotten approval from our sponsor to run the next election on a team basis.
Steve B wrote:they are actually discussing their own demise regards
Steve
They don't want an own forum because they like to have some power, they want a CCC like forum without censorship. If the CCC goes back to independence the new forum is not needed.
AFAIK the entire censorship i keep hearing about is that Unregistered Lurkers cannot read all of the forums here
and in the new forum Unregistered Lurkers can read all of the forums
once someone registers on your new forum both forums are the same
an entire new forum has been created for the reading pleasure of Unregistered Lurkers
that OK with me

Steve
Personally, I fail to see the difference from CTF, which has *always* been invisible to non-members.
You're wrong, CTF hasn't always been invisible to non-members.
When was it visible?
I can't give you the exact time when it was last visible but maybe Graham Banks or Sam Hull can help since, if I'm not mistaken, they were involved in the decision to make it invisible.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

its obvious from PM I got from the moderator how he thinks about others.

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com

P.S. You seem to confirm it with your posting too. Thank you
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

sockmonkey wrote:
Steve B wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:These same "chess policemen", given moderator powers, spend their free time checking up on your IP address, calling your office to figure out whether you're really an african from Zambia, and similar. If you're cool with this sort of activity, no biggie. I'm not ok with it, nor with an administrative policy which tolerates it.

Jeremy
no body was "given" moderator powers here
all mods were voted in by the members
unlike your new forum where the current mods are appointed
the things you are now mentioning probably happened in the CTF and not in the CCC
members can vote mods in or out
i dont defend actions like that and i would not vote for mods who engage in that sort of activity
the only censorship you can point to is that unregistered lurkers cannot read all forums
thats what it comes down to at the end of the day
Steve
Ask Paul Wise why his account was disabled for a while earlier this term. If he doesn't know, ask Graham.

Jeremy
For the life of me i dont know why you didnt fight Banks tooth and nail each and every time he took mod action against a majority vote
as i have posted elsewhere i would have undone every unilateral action he took ..no matter how many times it took
i think you owed it to the members who voted for you to do that
instead with one month to go until new elections ..you go and create your own forum
you could have at least waited until the results of the new elections were in and perhaps Banks would not have been re-elected..
now there will probably be no one left here who disagrees with his positions and his re-election will be a shoe-in

sort of like a self-Fulfilling Prophecy
Steve
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,

Michael

i ask you how you could possibly know what conversations take place in the mod forum and this confirms to you that they took place?
yeah that makes sense
go pull my other leg
Steve
daws

Post by daws »

Steve B wrote:Members have been calling for Team Mod candidates for years now
Steve

I think it might be more accurate to say that some members have been calling for Team Mod candidates. Some time ago a poll was started on this very subject and the team mods idea didn't seem to be very popular. Unfortunately, for some reason, the poll seems to have been deleted. However, I have found a post which refers to the poll where the instigator himself admits "There was disappointingly little support for the idea of teams".

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ew=threads

Of course opinions may have changed but it is by no means clear what the membership want on this issue.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

daws wrote:
Steve B wrote:Members have been calling for Team Mod candidates for years now
Steve

I think it might be more accurate to say that some members have been calling for Team Mod candidates. Some time ago a poll was started on this very subject and the team mods idea didn't seem to be very popular. Unfortunately, for some reason, the poll seems to have been deleted. However, I have found a post which refers to the poll where the instigator himself admits "There was disappointingly little support for the idea of teams".

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ew=threads

Of course opinions may have changed but it is by no means clear what the membership want on this issue.
thats fair
i did not mean to imply that all members or even most members
only that some members having been calling for team candidates for awhile now
my point was that the team vote was not suddenly handed down by the dictates of the sponsor as has been suggested in prior posts of this thread
given the problems with the current mod team i think for the near term this is the best alternative
this is my opinion and i speak for no one other then myself
Regards
Steve
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

sockmonkey wrote:Ask Paul Wise why his account was disabled for a while earlier this term. If he doesn't know, ask Graham.
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

I see a thread topic you started that says "Goodbye" yet here you are again posting. So what does goodbye mean to you :?:

Cordially,

Sean
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

Steve B wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,

Michael

i ask you how you could possibly know what conversations take place in the mod forum and this confirms to you that they took place?
yeah that makes sense
go pull my other leg
Steve
You have another leg ?

Michael