Is it true that moderators are controlling what we say?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Is it true that moderators are controlling what we say?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Yes, that's the definition of moderator.

http://www.netlingo.com/dictionary/m.php entry "Moderator":

A user who volunteers to take on the task of screening messages submitted to a moderated mailing list, a moderated newsgroupor a forum. This is done to help discussions stay productive and within the guidelines, so that inappropriate messages do not end up where they don't belong. In other words, "it's to keep the Nazi messages out."

For those of us who have been here too long -- it's too late. Don't bother trying to save us. Save yourselves while you can! First, they tell us not to post links to things of questionable legality and the next thing you know it will be dead babies on a stick.

You'll be safe at the new group, where none of that prissy monitoring of conduct will occur. With the excellent leadership at your disposal, you'll all soon be reel cool warez d00dz.

HTH, bcnu
bob

Re: Is it true that moderators are controlling what we say?

Post by bob »

Dann Corbit wrote:Yes, that's the definition of moderator.

http://www.netlingo.com/dictionary/m.php entry "Moderator":

A user who volunteers to take on the task of screening messages submitted to a moderated mailing list, a moderated newsgroupor a forum. This is done to help discussions stay productive and within the guidelines, so that inappropriate messages do not end up where they don't belong. In other words, "it's to keep the Nazi messages out."

For those of us who have been here too long -- it's too late. Don't bother trying to save us. Save yourselves while you can! First, they tell us not to post links to things of questionable legality and the next thing you know it will be dead babies on a stick.

You'll be safe at the new group, where none of that prissy monitoring of conduct will occur. With the excellent leadership at your disposal, you'll all soon be reel cool warez d00dz.

HTH, bcnu
Can you spell "hyperbole"? Sure you can. (Borrowed from Mr. Roger's Neighboorhood).

Not wanting to quell discussions about programs that have not been proven to be clones is a _far_ cry from promoting warez sites / links. Not even sure how one would get from point A (non-proven clones) to B (sites that offer pirated/cracked software).
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

bob wrote: Can you spell "hyperbole"? Sure you can. (Borrowed from Mr. Roger's Neighboorhood).

Not wanting to quell discussions about programs that have not been proven to be clones is a _far_ cry from promoting warez sites / links. Not even sure how one would get from point A (non-proven clones) to B (sites that offer pirated/cracked software).
Bob, my understanding is that when you were a moderator you stopped Ippo links and discussion because Vas stated it was a clone/derivative without a shred of evidence. :roll:

Cordially,

Sean
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Sean Evans wrote:
Bob, my understanding is that when you were a moderator you stopped Ippo links and discussion because Vas stated it was a clone/derivative without a shred of evidence. :roll:

Cordially,

Sean

Hello Sean,

Yes he did and it seems incredible that persons now have Dr. Hyatt as a Vas hater/Rybka envious person.

He treated Vas with unusual respect in accepting his word for it (that Ippo was a Rybka clone) and acted accordingly for several weeks.

That to me is the action of someone willing to take the unsubstantiated word of a programmer he expects was telling the truth. That's not the action of a hater in my book.

Sometimes you cannot win....

Later.

Ps. And yes, I understood the thrust of your post.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Sean Evans wrote:
bob wrote: Can you spell "hyperbole"? Sure you can. (Borrowed from Mr. Roger's Neighboorhood).

Cordially,

Sean
I am not sure if you are being a troll or not just paying attention. I hope the latter to be true. Bob did explain this issue :

I quote Mr Hyatt , " I'll say this again, "Bob doesn't support the Ippo* development". I do not know what the thing is, nor where it came from. We (the moderators when it first appeared) chose to not allow links to the program or its web site, although we felt obligated to allow discussions about the program since that is what CCC is _supposed_ to be about. As soon as Vas made the claim that this was a clone, we acted. And then we waited for some evidence. And waited. And waited. Until it became apparent that no evidence was forthcoming. After 3 months, we decided that it was unfair to take a claim with absolutely no evidence, and penalize a program. ICGA has done this in the past where a claim is made, immediate evidence is demanded, and either the evidence upholds the claim and the program is not allowed to compete, or the evidence does not support the claim and the program is accepted. "

The moderators, notice PLURAL, capiche?
bob

Post by bob »

Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean
Partially correct. We stopped links, we _never_ stopped discussion. And we only stopped links for what we considered a reasonable amount of time for reasonable proof to be proffered... and then we relented and said, "If Vas doesn't care, then we don't care, so post links to ip* if you want."

That is what _actually_ happened. The discussions _never_ stopped.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

bob wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean
Partially correct. We stopped links, we _never_ stopped discussion. And we only stopped links for what we considered a reasonable amount of time for reasonable proof to be proffered... and then we relented and said, "If Vas doesn't care, then we don't care, so post links to ip* if you want."

Okay, so that clarifies ICD-Shop never forced the moderators to stop links to Ippo and I presume any other chess programs. So, who is the one that is saying that CCC members can no longer post links to Ippo and other programs and not discuss them? Who is the one that is causing censorship rather than moderation?

Cordially,

Sean
bob

Post by bob »

Sean Evans wrote:
bob wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean

Okay, so that clarifies ICD-Shop never forced the moderators to stop links to Ippo and I presume any other chess programs. So, who is the one that is saying that CCC members can no longer post links to Ippo and other programs and not discuss them? Who is the one that is causing censorship rather than moderation?

Cordially,

Sean
I'll give you three guesses, the first two don't count.
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:idea: Graham :!:
bob wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:
bob wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean

Cordially,

Sean

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

mariaclara wrote::idea: Graham :!:
bob wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:
bob wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean

Cordially,

Sean
I realise that some of you are out to denigrate me in any way possible, but the decision to remove links had absolutely nothing to do with me. I do agree with it though.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com