A Question for Our Sponsor..IPPO Links OK or Not??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

A Question for Our Sponsor..IPPO Links OK or Not??

Post by Steve B »

There is no reason for this issue to be clouded in mystery

either ICD is insisting that links to Ippo and Family not be allowed or they are not
i do not believe they are or ever did although some may have interpreted it that way
my understanding is that they did not want links to pirated sites to be permitted and other questionable software which in light of recent developments cannot possibly include Ippo
there was a brief instance when a link to a pirated Rybka 4 was permitted on this board and then removed and this caused some confusion
i put the question to ICD right now point blank
as of this point in time...
what is the current ICD Position on links to Ippo and related engines?
do they at this point in time prohibit the posting of links to Ippo and related engines as a requirement to continue the sponsorship of the CCC??

note..i do not consider the requirement to post Ippo links in the EOF as a major problem because this only impacts unregistered lurkers
although i do not really favor the idea i can live with it

my guess is that all the sponsor wants is to provide a board enjoyable to all

if i were moderating right now i would be allowing links like we did last term and if i moderate in the future i would allow it

its a simple question ...

i ask Sam as the TCADMIN to please get us a direct quote from ICD on this specific question
IPPO links OK or not??

Regards
Steve
bob

Re: A Question for Our Sponsor..IPPO Links OK or Not??

Post by bob »

Steve B wrote:There is no reason for this issue to be clouded in mystery

either ICD is insisting that links to Ippo and Family not be allowed or they are not
i do not believe they are or ever did although some may have interpreted it that way
my understanding is that they did not want links to pirated sites to be permitted and other questionable software which in light of recent developments cannot possibly include Ippo
there was a brief instance when a link to a pirated Rybka 4 was permitted on this board and then removed and this caused some confusion
i put the question to ICD right now point blank
as of this point in time...
what is the current ICD Position on links to Ippo and related engines?
do they at this point in time prohibit the posting of links to Ippo and related engines as a requirement to continue the sponsorship of the CCC??

note..i do not consider the requirement to post Ippo links in the EOF as a major problem because this only impacts unregistered lurkers
although i do not really favor the idea i can live with it

my guess is that all the sponsor wants is to provide a board enjoyable to all

if i were moderating right now i would be allowing links like we did last term and if i moderate in the future i would allow it

its a simple question ...

i ask Sam as the TCADMIN to please get us a direct quote from ICD on this specific question
IPPO links OK or not??

Regards
Steve
Good idea, but I strongly suggest that whatever the result, nothing is going to change until elections.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

bob wrote:Good idea, but I strongly suggest that whatever the result, nothing is going to change until elections.
Really? You stated that your crusade was nothing personal, but when you question my integrity, it suggests otherwise. :(
gbanksnz at gmail.com
bob

Post by bob »

Graham Banks wrote:
bob wrote:Good idea, but I strongly suggest that whatever the result, nothing is going to change until elections.
Really? You stated that your crusade was nothing personal, but when you attack my integrity, it suggests otherwise. :(
I attack nothing, I simply state facts that anyone can verify. Your agenda is clear when you intentionally interpret something in a way that was not intended. Again, please show _any_ supporting information you have that shows that ICD explicitly said that ip* and friends are illegal and links are not allowed. Someone says "no links to questionable software or sites" and you instantly construe that to be "no links to ip* or friends." You've been pushing this agenda since we first started to allow links to ip* during our moderator term. You generated more moderator complaints than everyone else _combined_ last term. Then as soon as you were elected, you were deleting and moving posts within a couple of hours. Fellow moderators were jumping ship right and left. What should one think??? We've pointed out the errors in your reasoning many times, to no avail. So, what would lead one to think that a definitive answer to Steve's question will change a thing until we get new moderators that actually look at the available information to make a decision?
swami

Post by swami »

Hi Steve,

I had always supported the moderation philosophy of previous mods with Dann Corbit and Bob Hyatt etc. As I posted it in another thread....

ICD/ Your Move & Chess and company didn't specifically ask links to (IPPOLIT/Robbolito) to be deleted. They DIDN'T name _any_ engine. They just asked that the links to questionable software be deleted.

Based on this, I think Ippolit engines are not "questionable". (considering we have recent evidence from BB reports).

As Bob Hyatt/Steve B/Dann Corbit/Terry had ALWAYS pointed out, legally they're fine.
Last edited by swami on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote:ICD/ Your Move & Chess and company didn't specifically ask links to (IPPOLIT/Robbolito) to be deleted. They DIDN'T name _any_ engine. They just asked that the links to questionable software to be deleted.
Posts from both yourself and Jeremy in the mods forum straight after this show clearly that you two also knew that they were talking specifically about these engines as you clearly stated so.
I will not quote from that forum because it's private, but at least when a new moderation team gets access to it, they'll be able to see everything in there.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

bob wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Really? You stated that your crusade was nothing personal, but when you attack my integrity, it suggests otherwise. :(
I attack nothing, I simply state facts that anyone can verify. Your agenda is clear when you intentionally interpret something in a way that was not intended. Again, please show _any_ supporting information you have that shows that ICD explicitly said that ip* and friends are illegal and links are not allowed. Someone says "no links to questionable software or sites" and you instantly construe that to be "no links to ip* or friends." You've been pushing this agenda since we first started to allow links to ip* during our moderator term. You generated more moderator complaints than everyone else _combined_ last term. Then as soon as you were elected, you were deleting and moving posts within a couple of hours. Fellow moderators were jumping ship right and left. What should one think??? We've pointed out the errors in your reasoning many times, to no avail. So, what would lead one to think that a definitive answer to Steve's question will change a thing until we get new moderators that actually look at the available information to make a decision?
Dr. Hyatt,

This is a watershed moment. Reasonable questions, suggestions and arguments are utterly useless with this individual. You take it for granted that people here can read a sentence, understand the basic meaning, and argue points by appealing to logic and evidence. This person may simply be incapable of engaging in reasoned discussion, may be afraid of exposing lack of knowledge, or may be carrying out orders in some kind of quid pro quo deal he has made. This person claims he is 'just following orders' and has stated this repeatedly, which is a clear signal that he will not even entertain the kind of reasoned discussion you rightfully expect. There is nothing you can do. The man has no shame. The man does not want to (and may be unable to) think about the points you are making and will NEVER respond. This man is going to stick to 'following orders', whatever those orders are, real or imagined. It is hopeless.
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:
swami wrote:ICD/ Your Move & Chess and company didn't specifically ask links to (IPPOLIT/Robbolito) to be deleted. They DIDN'T name _any_ engine. They just asked that the links to questionable software to be deleted.
Posts from both yourself and Jeremy in the mods forum straight after this show clearly that you two also knew that they were talking specifically about these engines as you clearly stated so.
I will not quote from that forum because it's private, but at least when a new moderation team gets access to it, they'll be able to see everything in there.

Cheers,
Graham.
They're not questionable anymore (more strong evidence from BB reports)

I have asked Jeremy to read this thread and asked him to comment since he's on a holiday.
Last edited by swami on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.

I have asked Jeremy to read this thread and ask him to comment since he's on a holiday.
The BB report is not universally accepted as far as I'm aware. Who is BB?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:
swami wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.

I have asked Jeremy to read this thread and ask him to comment since he's on a holiday.
The BB report is not universally accepted as far as I'm aware. Who is BB?
They're universally accepted... but then again there are always select few that disagree with the report. Finally we have this report as evidence and the report is enough to prove to many people and atleast 2 moderators that the engine is not in _any_ way questionable.

As for BB, I don't know who he is. I thought he was a good friend of Zach's and had communicated with Larry Kauffman. I have no doubt that he's genuine intelligent programmer.