A good time to broadcast a Xiangqi tourney?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: A good time to broadcast a Xiangqi tourney?

Post by hgm »

July has arrived!

I hope to be able to start the tourney soon. I have been testing the setup (at http://80.100.28.169/xq/battle.html ), and it seems to run well. I have also been testing many of the engines:

I removed some bugs from MaxQi, which was still making false result claims as if it was normal Chess.

I obtained a newer version of HoiXiangqi (0.10.3).

I tested how to best run the Qianhong plugins (MRSD, VSCCP, Qianhong) unde QH2WB. This this require a fix in QH2WB, as the old version did not properly handle pondering. (In particular, MRSD was always pondering, even if WB said ponder off.)

Tony, how about TJxiangqi? Can I use the version that is on your website now?

Gregory: any luck yet with a Xiangqi-capable ChessV? I would still love to have that!
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

I've made some significant progress. Can probably get it playing a legal game this weekend ...
TonyJH

Post by TonyJH »

I should be able to email you a new version on this Saturday or maybe sooner.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Awesome! Keep up the great work. Wish I could have watched it.

Know if the xboard version could handle viewing?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Actually you will be able to watch it. It does not require XBoard; the games will be displayed on a normal web page, and all you need to follow them is a JavaScript enabled browser.

The page is at http://80.100.28.169/xq/battle.html

Currently I am ruing some test games there. (If it does not start playing a game at 1 move/sec after loading, it might be because the loading of all the graphiccs took too long. Doing a refresh then usually cures that, becauseall gif files will be cached in your browser.)
TonyJH

Post by TonyJH »

H.G.,
I just e-mailed you a new version of TJxiangqi. It has some bug fixes and improvements, but I don't expect any real strength improvement. It still likes to trade its Cannon for Horse at the beginning (at least at short time controls), which is bad. I'm using H=4, C=4.5, but I think it makes the trade because it thinks it will win a pawn afterwards (based on shallow search). If it gets to think longer than a second or two, it will avoid the trade.