What are the best chess apps for iPad and iPhone?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stwils

What are the best chess apps for iPad and iPhone?

Post by stwils »

I have a new iPad and wondered what the best chess apps are for it. I have Shredder but are there others? Have you heard if they are going to release some new apps soon?

Also I would like some chess puzzles, problems, and if possible tactics.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Stwils
Sean Evans

Re: What are the best chess apps for iPad and iPhone?

Post by Sean Evans »

stwils wrote:I have a new iPad and wondered what the best chess apps are for it. I have Shredder but are there others? Have you heard if they are going to release some new apps soon?

Also I would like some chess puzzles, problems, and if possible tactics.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Stwils
Hello Susan,

The iPad is new, so there might not be much choice, iPhone will have plenty of choices. I do know that iPad has Shredder available to play on it.

http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-news ... -ipad.html

Cordially,

Sean
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

I use the iPhone version of Glaurung on my iPad. It is a free source program and I am somehow still too lazy to just compile it for iPad. I don't mind the 2x screen mode really, it is still a great program.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It seems there is a Chinese-Chess app for iPhone, which contains an engine written by me! (I donated the search routine of an early version of HaQiKi D to the developer as open-source software, last year.) 8-)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hoxchess ... 13274?mt=8
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

The new Glaurung update does not support iPad any more so if you have the old iPhone version make sure to get it onto your iPad before you update.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Ryan Benitez wrote:The new Glaurung update does not support iPad any more so if you have the old iPhone version make sure to get it onto your iPad before you update.
Oops, I didn't think of that.
:oops:

This means I should really hurry up and add full iPad support. I intended to wait until I could buy an iPad myself (they are still not available in Norway, and it doesn't look like they will be any time soon), but it looks like I have to do it much sooner.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

hgm wrote:It seems there is a Chinese-Chess app for iPhone, which contains an engine written by me! (I donated the search routine of an early version of HaQiKi D to the developer as open-source software, last year.) 8-)

Great - will give me an incentive to learn the game :)
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
hgm wrote:It seems there is a Chinese-Chess app for iPhone, which contains an engine written by me! (I donated the search routine of an early version of HaQiKi D to the developer as open-source software, last year.) 8-)

Great - will give me an incentive to learn the game :)
I think at one point I learned the game, but I can't tell the pieces apart. The Chinese symbols all look the same. :P

Peter
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

http://chess-iphone.blogspot.com/
Is a concise site with all relevent info for iphone chess apps.You may want to consider an app that lets you play online at many of the good servers such as FICS and ICC.Surprinsingly PlayChess has not got on board with mobile chess.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

alpha123 wrote:I think at one point I learned the game, but I can't tell the pieces apart. The Chinese symbols all look the same. :P
Indeed, that is what put me off too. But this app also supports a westernized representation:

Of course WinBoard has an even more Chess-like representation, where even the board looks normal. The /showTargetSquares option is also great for learning: