Comparision C2/Phenom2/i7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ernest

Re: Comparision C2/Phenom2/i7

Post by ernest »

IWB wrote:
ernest wrote: Look at the "different" results of DS 12 x64 and DS 12 32b, which should be the same (same engine, as the single-core results show). Have you run them several times, in order to get an average? :)
No need to. The difference is there on 1 core as well. I will send you the excell sheet.
You are right for the 1core. I got carried away by your 582 582 result of DS 12 on C2Q.
But still, how can you have reproducible (or even close) numbers with multicore?
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hi
ernest wrote:...
But still, how can you have reproducible (or even close) numbers with multicore?
And you are right here! I just thought about it for a moment and of course it might be that a core stuck in a difficult position and the whole nodes go down or up!! (and I checked with 2 Engines and saw some differences)

Actually this is even more suporting my point that you cant adjust differnt hardware with just one time adaption to be "identical" ... :-)

Bye
Ingo
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

IWB wrote:Hello all

As I am not happy with the standard Benchmarks to compare a CPU I run a bit of a more extensive Test with 20 Single Engines. This is the result:

The colored numbers at the end might help calculation your desired speed.

The AMD 6 core 1055T in this test is running with 0.1V below the specification by AMD. With a 29€ air cooler it is at 40°C when all 6 cores are running! Looking at the price of this it isnt the worst choise!

Bye
Ingo
Since the 1055T is in the same price bracket as the i5-750, which is also a very strong overclocker, do you know how it does?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hi
Albert Silver wrote:
Since the 1055T is in the same price bracket as the i5-750, which is also a very strong overclocker, do you know how it does?
Good question ...

The I5 is in average 20% faster per cycle and if you go to an extreme you might be able to OC a bit more ... but the 1055T has 6 cores ...

If you analyse your own or any GM game it doesnt matter, if you want to analyse with single engines I would prefer the 1055T, if you want to play on a server I would go for the 750 ... if you mix this usage it is on you again :-)

Bye
Ingo