HS-Masterbook 3.0.ctg

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: HS-Masterbook 3.0.ctg

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: The Scandinavian Defence is an awesome opening system for black with a lot of interesting positional ideas later in the middlegame...
Yep - the Qxa5 variation is in my OTB and correspondence repertoire. Solid opening. 8-)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Good for Harry,but Sedat Conbaz's opening books are way too superior and optimized than Harry's opening books....this not an opinion,this is a fact based on a close observation of every opening book published by these two authors....will put this one under the microscope to see how it fares against Sedat's latest creation....
Dr.D
Hello Wael !

Thanks a lot for your kind words...your positive comments (regarding my computerchess activity) are since many years,that's why i am so grateful to you

Some notes about openings (Scandinavian,Benko/Volga Gambit,Dutch,Alekhine,King's-Indian,Exchanged Grunfeld...) which are disabled in Perfect 2010 book:
1) Blacks (mostly of the top engines when playing between each other) usually fall in a big danger and have less chances to win

2) In case of allowing those openings and running thousand of games,then the percentage of the rest very strong openings for Blacks are changing/falling dramatically (approx.20-30 % of the games are going to Scandinavian,Benko/Volga Gambit,Dutch,Alekhine,King's-Indian,Exchanged Grunfeld...)

3)In my opinion,the above openings are more suitable for Humans,but not recommended for TOP Chess Engines playing with Blacks

In other words,as far as possible (engines to be on more equal conditions) we should not allow testing the Top Chess Programs with disadvantage start !

Btw,currently in all my testings,Deep Rybka 4 x64 T4 performs approx.100 Elo better than Stockfish 1.8 JA x64 T4 and i just wonder if i enable those openings,then what would be the rating of Deep Rybka 4

Best Regards,
Sedat
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Har wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Good for Harry,but Sedat Conbaz's opening books are way too superior and optimized than Harry's opening books....this not an opinion,this is a fact based on a close observation of every opening book published by these two authors....will put this one under the microscope to see how it fares against Sedat's latest creation....
Dr.D
Since years the same story with his "facts" etc..... :D
By this way congratulation to Sedat for his great activity in computerchess!
Hello Harry,

Thank you ...and my congratulations for your new opening book

Best,
Sedat
Har

Post by Har »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
Har wrote:
Dr.D
Hello Harry,

Best,
Sedat
Hello Sedat,
YOUR EXPLANATION ABOUT SUCH OPENINGS IS "F A N T A S T I C " !!!
It's exactly what I had write yesterday in a eMail to Graham Banks.
He can confirm that.
BRAVO !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Har

Post by Har »

Graham Banks wrote:
SzG wrote:
Dr.D
I wonder how you observe closely a 1GB book... or even a 10 MB one.

I have been using Harry's books for years. The only thing I have against them is lack of variety. Sedat's lates book (Perfect-2010) seems better in this regard. My current practice is to shift books every now and then.

What I miss most in all books is the lack of classic lines like Gioco Piano, 3 Knights. I also miss Aljechin and Grünfeld. I am a bit fed up with Lucena, Sicilian, Queens and Kings Indian.
I'd love to see more Scandinavians, Bird's, Polish and others like the Ponziani and Larsen. :P
Hi Gabor and Graham,
Looks in the explanation of Sedat about such openings in computerchess.
We have the same concept and he writes better English than me. :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
Dr.D
Hello Wael !

Thanks a lot for your kind words...your positive comments (regarding my computerchess activity) are since many years,that's why i am so grateful to you

Some notes about openings (Scandinavian,Benko/Volga Gambit,Dutch,Alekhine,King's-Indian,Exchanged Grunfeld...) which are disabled in Perfect 2010 book:
1) Blacks (mostly of the top engines when playing between each other) usually fall in a big danger and have less chances to win

2) In case of allowing those openings and running thousand of games,then the percentage of the rest very strong openings for Blacks are changing/falling dramatically (approx.20-30 % of the games are going to Scandinavian,Benko/Volga Gambit,Dutch,Alekhine,King's-Indian,Exchanged Grunfeld...)

3)In my opinion,the above openings are more suitable for Humans,but not recommended for TOP Chess Engines playing with Blacks

In other words,as far as possible (engines to be on more equal conditions) we should not allow testing the Top Chess Programs with disadvantage start !

Btw,currently in all my testings,Deep Rybka 4 x64 T4 performs approx.100 Elo better than Stockfish 1.8 JA x64 T4 and i just wonder if i enable those openings,then what would be the rating of Deep Rybka 4

Best Regards,
Sedat
Zdravei averche :wink: ,
Thanks for the detailed answer and I agree almost with everything you wrote as I don't have statistical observation regarding the above mentioned openings....I especially agree with the third point,absolutely correct although I can make a little exception maybe for the Gruenfeld Defence....
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: The Scandinavian Defence is an awesome opening system for black with a lot of interesting positional ideas later in the middlegame...
Yep - the Qxa5 variation is in my OTB and correspondence repertoire. Solid opening. 8-)
I had a bulgarian friend,a GM btw,who was attached so strong to the 3....Qd6 which I find a little bit risky for the black,but he insisted that it's the best answer for black in this opening system....
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Har wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:
Har wrote:
Dr.D
Hello Harry,

Best,
Sedat
Hello Sedat,
YOUR EXPLANATION ABOUT SUCH OPENINGS IS "F A N T A S T I C " !!!
It's exactly what I had write yesterday in a eMail to Graham Banks.
He can confirm that.
BRAVO !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Yes - you're both of the same opinion over these openings being unsuitable for engines.
You should make sure not to use the Pelikan/Sveshnikov as most engines can't handle the Black side and fold disastrously.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Lion

Post by Lion »

Thank you !
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Zdravei averche :wink: ,
Thanks for the detailed answer and I agree almost with everything you wrote as I don't have statistical observation regarding the above mentioned openings....I especially agree with the third point,absolutely correct although I can make a little exception maybe for the Gruenfeld Defence....
Cheers,
Dr.D
Hello Wael,

Yes...looking at the statistics,now it's more clear that Grunfeld seems to be a strong opening for Blacks

Actually during some of my testings,Grunfeld opening was enabled for playing and really for me it was a hard decision to allow it or not to allow
Frankly just before final release of P2010 i have disabled: 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 'g3''
One of the main reasons of disabling 'Bg7' was to avoid playing King's Indian Attack and probably in the next release i will disable it from:
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 'Bg7' and then Grunfeld opening will be allowed for playing :)

And another very important reason of disabling 'Bg7' was to not down the percentage of the rest openings,i mean especially for the strongest move 'e6':
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 'e6'
For example,when 'Bg7' was enabled,approx.30-40% of openings were Grunfeld or King's Indian (i mean exactly for 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4)
But for the next release 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 'c6' will be the solution to see less Grunfeld opening

BTW,i have just created some Opening Statistics of Perfect 2010 book
Note:Statistics are based on TOP Chess Programs (min 3000 elo and above)

Sicillian:Pelikan-Sveshnikov

Semi-Slav
Grunfeld
King's-Indian