Deep Blue vs Rybka

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Re: Deep Blue vs Rybka

Post by mhull »

Milos wrote:...you only do bootlicking here...
Gee, thanks for the friendly exchange. :?
Matthew Hull
Milos

Post by Milos »

bob wrote:I have actually run on machines with up to 64 CPUs (not a cluster, a real shared-memory SMP box). And thru 64, the speedup pretty well matched my linear approximation of

speedup = 1 + (NCPUS - 1) * 0.7

Or, for the 64 CPU case, about 45x faster than one CPU. Not great, but seriously faster, still.
More on Bob's formula...

speedup_2=1+0.7=1.7
speedup_32=1+31*0.7=22.7
speedup_64=1+63*0.7=45.1

speedup_64/speedup32=1.99!!!
speedup_2=1.7

17% more gain when going from 32 to 64 than from 1 to 2 cores. Man can only laugh at this, nothing more...

Seriously though I really hope you didn't try to publish a paper with this kind of result, because I don't see any reviewer with a grain of self-respect who could let this kind of result pass through.
mhull

Post by mhull »

Milos wrote:speedup_2=1+0.7=1.7
speedup_32=1+31*0.7=22.7
speedup_64=1+63*0.7=45.1

speedup_64/speedup32=1.99!!!
speedup_2=1.7

17% more gain when going from 32 to 64 than from 1 to 2 cores. Man can only laugh at this, nothing more...

Seriously though I really hope you didn't try to publish a paper with this kind of result, because I don't see any reviewer with a grain of self-respect who could let this kind of result pass through.
Right, because you understand the dynamics of chess on SMP, having done so much of it yourself. I'm like, totally convinced. Where have you been all our lives?
Matthew Hull
Milos

Post by Milos »

mhull wrote:Right, because you understand the dynamics of chess on SMP, having done so much of it yourself. I'm like, totally convinced. Where have you been all our lives?
Who cares if you are convinced or not. You are just a troll anyway.
There are ppl who can actually think with their own heads on this forum.
jwes

Post by jwes »

bob wrote:
Don wrote:Bob,

I tried the link you gave me and it's not working. Is it working for anyone else or is there something wrong with my connection?
I just did this:

ftp ftp.cis.uab.edu
login: anonymous (or you can use "ftp" without quotes)
password: hyatt@cis.uab.edu (enter your email)
cd pub/hyatt/source
ls crafty*x.tar
227 Entering Passive Mode (138,26,66,6,74,169)
150 Here comes the directory listing.
-rw-r--r-- 1 500 30 7260160 Sep 14 10:52 Crafty-10.x.tar

So it works for me...
The link in your post is http://ftp.cis.uab.edu which does not work but ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu does.
Don

Post by Don »

mhull wrote:
Milos wrote:
mhull wrote:Bob's tests reduce the error margin by playing more games with fewer unknown variables.

I'm not saying you're wrong by definition, I'm just saying yours is an opinion based on weaker data.
Bob's tens of thousands of games has nothing to do with accuracy. Simply his testing methodology is faulty. He could play million of games and his results would be still inaccurate.
I understand some ppl get easily impressed by this, but when different test methodologies, opening books etc., all show accordance to 10-15 elo accuracy (with 15-20 elo error margin) and Bob's result are off by almost 100 elo with his 4 elo margin everything you say is just holding for a straw.
Bob has a systematic error in his testing methodology which he (and some other ppl) are not willing to admit.
I hope you remember The Emperor's New Clothes tale...
You say his method is flawed but ignore the reasons why the other lists are flawed, e.g. arbitrary opening book, ponder off, not enough games, etc. Therefore, your argument does not persuade.
What are you, Bob's groupie or something?
mhull

Post by mhull »

Milos wrote:
mhull wrote:Right, because you understand the dynamics of chess on SMP, having done so much of it yourself. I'm like, totally convinced. Where have you been all our lives?
Who cares if you are convinced or not. You are just a troll anyway.
There are ppl who can actually think with their own heads on this forum.
That's certainly an opinion. But you didn't supply benchmarks from your own test of crafty or any other program on an SMP machine to back up your derision. Bob did. It doesn't take a troll to figure which of you has more credibility.
Matthew Hull
Don

Post by Don »

jwes wrote:
bob wrote:
Don wrote:Bob,

I tried the link you gave me and it's not working. Is it working for anyone else or is there something wrong with my connection?
I just did this:

ftp ftp.cis.uab.edu
login: anonymous (or you can use "ftp" without quotes)
password: hyatt@cis.uab.edu (enter your email)
cd pub/hyatt/source
ls crafty*x.tar
227 Entering Passive Mode (138,26,66,6,74,169)
150 Here comes the directory listing.
-rw-r--r-- 1 500 30 7260160 Sep 14 10:52 Crafty-10.x.tar

So it works for me...
The link in your post is http://ftp.cis.uab.edu which does not work but ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu does.
Yes, I just assumed without looking that it was a web address - I've used ftp for years but forgot about this.

After downloading none of it works anyway and I cannot make it compile without putting some time into it - and I would be fool to waste any more time on this.
mhull

Post by mhull »

Don wrote:What are you, Bob's groupie or something?
No, I'm just old. And remember, I bought a copy of Rex Chess (back when), so you can't be too hard on me. :)
Matthew Hull
Don

Post by Don »

mhull wrote:
Don wrote:What are you, Bob's groupie or something?
No, I'm just old. And remember, I bought a copy of Rex Chess (back when), so you can't be too hard on me. :)
Will you be my groupie too?