Chess for Android with UCI support released

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Re: Chess for Android with UCI support released

Post by abik »

michiguel wrote:I see that android OS is a Linux derivative! wow! does it support pthreads?
Yes, Android is Linux-based. Both the BikJump versions use pthreads on Linux (and Window threads when compiled for Windows), and both versions compiled just fine for Android as well. I suspect that most UCI engines that can be compiled for Linux directly compile for Android too.

Can I look forward to a Gaviota for Android soon now? :-)
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

abik wrote:
michiguel wrote:I see that android OS is a Linux derivative! wow! does it support pthreads?
Yes, Android is Linux-based. Both the BikJump versions use pthreads on Linux (and Window threads when compiled for Windows), and both versions compiled just fine for Android as well. I suspect that most UCI engines that can be compiled for Linux directly compile for Android too.

Can I look forward to a Gaviota for Android soon now? :-)
Most likely!

I am getting closer to release a new version, so I may do it at that time. Gaviota's code is quite portable. Besides using 64 bit long long ints, and a handful of pthread functions (create, join, mutex and a semaphore) everything else is ANSI C (89).

Miguel
abik

Post by abik »

michiguel wrote: Most likely!

I am getting closer to release a new version, so I may do it at that time.
I look forward to that Miguel!

Please let me know if I can help or ping me when you have a binary available so I can import and test it in Chess for Android. I guess then it also will make sense to store some Gaviota Tablebases on the phone besides the Nalimov endgame tablebases I have now for the other engines.
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

Hi,

I have ported Stockfish to Android, but it is compiled as a library which is accessed using JNI. I suppose changing it to compile to a standalone program would be easy. If you are interested, the source code is in the jni directory in the droidfish tarball:

http://web.comhem.se/petero2home/droidf ... 17.tar.bz2

The "porting" didn't involve changing the stockfish source code. All that was needed was finding a compatible STL implementation for Android, and compiling the source code using the correct combination of compiler flags.
abik

Post by abik »

petero2 wrote:I have ported Stockfish to Android, but it is compiled as a library which is accessed using JNI.
Thanks for the pointer Peter! With the latest compilers I was actually able to compile the original stockfish sources (version 1.8) directly into a native UCI engine and import it successfully in Chess for Android.

mhurd

Post by mhurd »

abik wrote:
petero2 wrote:I have ported Stockfish to Android, but it is compiled as a library which is accessed using JNI.
Thanks for the pointer Peter! With the latest compilers I was actually able to compile the original stockfish sources (version 1.8) directly into a native UCI engine and import it successfully in Chess for Android.
Is Stockfish 1.8 available for download ?

Mike
abik

Post by abik »

mhurd wrote:Is Stockfish 1.8 available for download ?
Mike
I talked with the stockfish team and they very kindly agreed to make the natively compiled UCI binary of stockfish1.8 available through their website.
abik

Post by abik »

abik wrote:I talked with the stockfish team and they very kindly agreed to make the natively compiled UCI binary of stockfish1.8 available through their website.
The link is up: http://www.stockfishchess.com/download/mobile/