CheesBase 11

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Diosi

CheesBase 11

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

Yes they are going to release version 11 of ChessBase. Be prepared to read "independent" reviews by Walter Eigenman, Michael Enderle and Harvey Williamson telling you how great it is. But do you think you should pay 149 Euros to be allowed to be a beta tester ? Those guys recieve it for free but are not able to spot any bugs. I would say go with SCID and Arena and watch ChessBase copying features like UCI support, chess960 support, ... just wait for the next Arena and watch them introducing the same features and claiming they were the first to have it.

So now the menues are taking half of the screen too. 1 move games are still in there as I heard as well as some games from the future. They now have new icons, WOW now that's a great improvement. Yes they needed new ones. But it doesn't support Gaviota tablebases yet ... so it's already behind Arena (all beta testers can say) 50 moves rule beeing switched of for studies also won't work as I hear, yes once again they didn't send a recension sample to serious testers, just to their old ....-licking testers. Sorry didn't mean to call them "old"

Many thanks to all clicking on the Arena page, that really helps us :)

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
F.Huber

Re: CheesBase 11

Post by F.Huber »

Michael Diosi wrote: ... just wait for the next Arena ...
Well, we're already waiting now for months (if not years)! :roll:
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

I know... but changing icons is not a reason to release a new version. This is praised as one of the major changes in ChessBase

For Arena it won't be years anymore. A few weeks for a public beta and 1-2 month for release version, let's hope.

We had a meeting with Martin last Friday in Cologne. Also we won't go commercial or charge 149 Euros for each new version.

Also we don't even ask for donations like others.

Michael
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Have You find solution to prevent time losses in fast games? Even with 60 moves / 3 minutes Stockfish loses a lot of games by time.

And 2. thing to improve: starting engine match takes a looong time
something like 15-20 s, when Fritz and ChessGui takes only 1-2 s!

Jouni
jdart

Post by jdart »

Sorry, but I don't know of a free equivalent to ChessBase.

ChessBase 10 had some bugs, but they have released several patches over the past year, and their support was helpful the one time I have contacted them.

Also, I'm sure the database has errors, but they are nothing compared to public game collections, which are full of junk.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,

Yes they are going to release version 11 of ChessBase. Be prepared to read "independent" reviews by Walter Eigenman, Michael Enderle and Harvey Williamson telling you how great it is. But do you think you should pay 149 Euros to be allowed to be a beta tester ? Those guys recieve it for free but are not able to spot any bugs. I would say go with SCID and Arena and watch ChessBase copying features like UCI support, chess960 support, ... just wait for the next Arena and watch them introducing the same features and claiming they were the first to have it.

So now the menues are taking half of the screen too. 1 move games are still in there as I heard as well as some games from the future. They now have new icons, WOW now that's a great improvement. Yes they needed new ones. But it doesn't support Gaviota tablebases yet ... so it's already behind Arena (all beta testers can say) 50 moves rule beeing switched of for studies also won't work as I hear, yes once again they didn't send a recension sample to serious testers, just to their old ....-licking testers. Sorry didn't mean to call them "old"

Many thanks to all clicking on the Arena page, that really helps us :)

Michael
While I commend you on your commitment to improve arena and release it as free software I think that your post is a little off putting.

I was slow to warm to chessbase but love it now. It has proved to be VERY beneficial to helping me to study and improve my chess. Arena really doesn't do that. Arena is more for just playing engines vs. engines.

Don't get me wrong Arena is cool but it is not perfect for everyone (and neither is chessbase). You might want to dial down the rhetoric until you actually have designed the perfect GUI that serves every possible user (which let's face it is an impossible and undesirable task)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Michael Diosi wrote:watch ChessBase copying features like UCI support, chess960 support, ... just wait for the next Arena and watch them introducing the same features and claiming they were the first to have it.
Why would they copy UCI support from Arena of all places? It is not as if Arena were the first either to support it by any means.
1 move games are still in there
There is a simple reason for them. There are tournaments where the results are known but not the game scores, a phenomenon that continues to exist even today. This allows the full crosstables to be produced.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Albert Silver wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote:watch ChessBase copying features like UCI support, chess960 support, ... just wait for the next Arena and watch them introducing the same features and claiming they were the first to have it.
Why would they copy UCI support from Arena of all places? It is not as if Arena were the first either to support it by any means.
There is a simple reason for them. There are tournaments where the results are known but not the game scores, a phenomenon that continues to exist even today. This allows the full crosstables to be produced.
Cleaning the 1 move games is pretty easy,takes less than a minute to detect and several minutes to rebuild the database.

Now to be honest,the crosstable generating option is broken under ChessBase 9....I was collecting games from an ongoing tournament and everything was ok until the database was + 400 games....then ChessBase generates a totaly crazy crosstable which is full of anomalies:number of games,scores,...etc,you name it....

Haven't try ChessBase 10 as I don't own it but I will purchase ChessBase 11 if it proves to be reliable....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Cleaning the 1 move games is pretty easy,takes less than a minute to detect and several minutes to rebuild the database.
You didn't understand. They are there on purpose. There is no plan to remove them. They represent games for which no game score is available, but help complete a crosstable. Otherwise CB will have an incomplete crosstable since there would be no result.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Albert Silver wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
You didn't understand. They are there on purpose. There is no plan to remove them. They represent games for which no game score is available, but help complete a crosstable. Otherwise CB will have an incomplete crosstable since there would be no result.
Clear now,thanks and that explains my crosstable anomaly that I am experiencing right now....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….