afraid of check

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mainsworthy

afraid of check

Post by mainsworthy »

Ive been working on Mainsworthy engines, I seem to be doing a balancing act, The engines work alot better but the king is terrified of check, throws material away sometimes to avoid a check, is this a known behaivour in chess prgraming?

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/details1 ... orthy.html
Ferdy

Re: afraid of check

Post by Ferdy »

mainsworthy wrote:Ive been working on Mainsworthy engines, I seem to be doing a balancing act, The engines work alot better but the king is terrified of check, throws material away sometimes to avoid a check, is this a known behaivour in chess prgraming?

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/details1 ... orthy.html
"Throws away material sometimes" Yes this is possible, if your engine saw problems in the positions - mate threats coming, and others.

You may try to check your check evasion codes - does is generate complete legal moves? Also try to check your repetion code, and maybe your extension code related to check-there might be excessive extensions triggered?.
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

Thanks Ferdy, Im thinking on repetition codeing thanks
outAtime

Post by outAtime »

This may be off base, but I think I read somewhere that this "fear of check" can be a result of mobility, where the engine feels it has no moves..
outAtime
Roman Hartmann

Post by Roman Hartmann »

Usually 'throwing away material' means that the engine sees an unavoidable mate threat. If giving pieces away means not getting mated for a few plies more the engine will just do that.

If you're engine gives away pieces when there is actually no threat it might be a bug.

Roman
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

thanks for the pointers guys, will check my code