AMD Open64

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

michiguel

AMD Open64

Post by michiguel »

Anybody tried this compiler for Linux?

http://developer.amd.com/cpu/open64/pages/default.aspx

Miguel
rbarreira

Re: AMD Open64

Post by rbarreira »

Not yet. I'll try to install it later, if it's easy to do so.

However, I have tried gcc 4.5.0 and it finally seems gcc caught up with the Intel C Compiler, both in terms of features (now it has link-time, whole-program optimization) and performance, even on Intel CPUs.
rbarreira

Re: AMD Open64

Post by rbarreira »

I installed it and did a benchmark with my AMD CPU. Here's my review after using it for 10 minutes:

With the normal optimization options (-O3 -march=barcelona -msse4a), the benchmark is a little (10% ?) slower than with gcc 4.4.3 (using -O3 -march=barcelona -mpopcnt -msse4a). Not bad considering I haven't tweaked any options.

Then I tried the -Ofast option which does interprocedural/interfile analysis, and the linking was going on for several minutes before I ran out of patience and interrupted it.

I've heard some reports of ipo. analysis occasionally being extremely slow on other compilers, so this is not that unusual. Maybe I'll try letting it run overnight to see if it works...

PS: Installation was very easy, I just had to unpack it and add the resulting directory to my path variable. Then the compiler is available as "opencc".