64 bit windows 7

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cms271828

64 bit windows 7

Post by cms271828 »

I've just installed 64 bit win7, I ran chess program, and the nps count was reaching 5 - 6,000,000 in the opening, whereas on xp, I would get about 3,500,000.

Its nice to see the theory demonstrated after such a long time with 32 bit platform, and the results are great, no going back to 32 bit for me (unless win7 starts to play up really badly).
Colin
ernest

Re: 64 bit windows 7

Post by ernest »

cms271828 wrote:I've just installed 64 bit win7, I ran chess program,
Depends on the chess program!... 8-)
Rybka: +70%
Fritz, Shredder: +0%
jwes

Post by jwes »

cms271828 wrote:I've just installed 64 bit win7, I ran chess program, and the nps count was reaching 5 - 6,000,000 in the opening, whereas on xp, I would get about 3,500,000.

Its nice to see the theory demonstrated after such a long time with 32 bit platform, and the results are great, no going back to 32 bit for me (unless win7 starts to play up really badly).
I just installed win7 and discovered that default power save mode is sleep after 30 minutes by doing an overnight analysis.
OliverUwira

Post by OliverUwira »

jwes wrote: I just installed win7 and discovered that default power save mode is sleep after 30 minutes by doing an overnight analysis.
That's a nice gotcha. I know it well, too :D
jwes

Post by jwes »

OliverUwira wrote:
jwes wrote: I just installed win7 and discovered that default power save mode is sleep after 30 minutes by doing an overnight analysis.
I found another one. The default windows update mode will reboot your computer if it feels it needs to.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

J. Wesley Cleveland
I just installed win7 and discovered that default power save mode is sleep after 30 minutes by doing an overnight analysis.

I found another one. The default windows update mode will reboot your computer if it feels it needs to.
Good that I was informed...
I did not think about this at all.

Thank you.
OliverUwira

Post by OliverUwira »

jwes wrote:
OliverUwira wrote:
I didn't notice that one. It only does that after asking. Maybe there's a difference between Home and Pro?
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

For engine performance to not suffer, it is a good idea to turn off automatic updates and do the updates manually every month or so. It can be incredibly annoying when you have a tourney running and you come back to find that Windows update has automatically updated itself and rebooted its computer. If those updates would happen once a year, I could live with that ... but they happen way too often.
bob

Post by bob »

M ANSARI wrote:For engine performance to not suffer, it is a good idea to turn off automatic updates and do the updates manually every month or so. It can be incredibly annoying when you have a tourney running and you come back to find that Windows update has automatically updated itself and rebooted its computer. If those updates would happen once a year, I could live with that ... but they happen way too often.
"Windows is not the answer... Windows? is the question. NO is the answer."

--Linus Torvalds
xsadar
Full name: Mike Leany

Post by xsadar »

M ANSARI wrote: . . . and you come back to find that Windows update has automatically updated itself and rebooted its computer.
While I don't think this is what you meant to say, it seems to reflect the attitude of Microsoft and a lot of other companies -- that your computer, software, music, etc, are not yours but theirs. So they have no qualms about rebooting your computer without your permission despite the fact that it kills any important processes you may have running, and causes the loss of any work you may not have saved. Fortunately in this case they were kind enough to allow you to change the default behavior.