Arena 2.4.0...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alexander Schmidt

Re: Arena 2.4.0...

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

hgm wrote:I would hesitate to call someone a complete idiot without overwhelming evidence:

You claim that if a program that claims to support FRC does foul...

I claimed nothing. I just said your engines don't understand the positions that make you call Arena buggy and crap and that's a fact.

I do not beat my wive, I want also that Arena supports x-fen. All conclusions you draw because I don't like your attitude are wrong.

You should seriously think about your attitude. It is not just unfriendly, it's rude respectless and unfair. I think you showed exactly who the "complete idiot" is. Thanks for your opinions, I wont waste more time with you.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
hgm wrote:I would hesitate to call someone a complete idiot without overwhelming evidence:

You claim that if a program that claims to support FRC does foul...

I claimed nothing. I just said your engines don't understand the positions that make you call Arena buggy and crap and that's a fact.

I do not beat my wive, I want also that Arena supports x-fen. All conclusions you draw because I don't like your attitude are wrong.

You should seriously think about your attitude. It is not just unfriendly, it's rude respectless and unfair. I think you showed exactly who the "complete idiot" is. Thanks for your opinions, I wont waste more time with you.
http://www.exactachess.com/images/rules/rules.html

I prefer to concentrate on greater problems. We all should do that in fact, as we are one, but we are also unique in our own ways. Our uniqueness is not so much a problem, as a difference of opinion.

If we fundamentally agree on the common enemy (and it's not women.....).......we would never argue. :-)

How are you Alex? Everything going well?

:)

Chris
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:I claimed nothing. I just said your engines don't understand the positions that make you call Arena buggy and crap and that's a fact.
I never said anything of the sort, I just said I never made an FRC engine, so that your question, which you then so kindly tried to answer for me, made no sense. You seem to be bent on pointing out that my Xiangqi or Shogi engines do not understand an FRC position, and that is complete idiocy to me, as much as when you would feel the urge to point out that the bottles in which I receive my daily milk do not understand any FRC positions...
Well, good riddance then!

Respect has to be earned. When you start by saying that what you now claim you want fixed "is a feature, rather than a bug", there is nothing unfair about me challenging that. And when you then start nagging ad nauseam about what engines that I never made allegedly cannot do, well, then you deserve all the scorn you can get!
Alexander Schmidt

Christopher Conkie wrote:How are you Alex? Everything going well?
I am fine.

From time to time I stray into some chess forums and I get reminded why I lost my interest in this community. :lol:

What about you?
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:How are you Alex? Everything going well?
I am fine.

From time to time I stray into some chess forums and I get reminded why I lost my interest in this community. :lol:

What about you?
I'm cool. :) I've learned to watch. No one will destroy my love of computer chess, no matter what they write. It is too important to me and those I know are too important as well.

(I'm trying to get 3.0.......you never know.....you just never know)

:)

mfg

Chris
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

Dear members

Can we stick on to the topic that was intended in the first post initially?

Whatever may be your personal differences, I request you to drop your sense of animosity and move on. I am a newbie here and would like this place to get back to its glorious days irrespective of the differences.

Life is too short to be spent reading or writing negative thoughts.

Please.

Arena is poised to become a star GUI in many ways. It has been my favorite for many years along with Fritz and Winboard.
And as Mike says... " It's completely free".
I would take this opportunity to re-request the Engine window to be re-sizable and dockable (instead of just up and down), in the new Arena. It would really make it complete... for me atleast.
I have tried in the past to suggest this here, and by using the 'contact' button in the Arena page, and once again now, so that fellow members who would like this feature, would support me in this regard.

Thanks in advance. :D
Alexander Schmidt

Christopher Conkie wrote:No one will destroy my love of computer chess, no matter what they write. It is too important to me and those I know are too important as well.
I went back to the roots. My last trophy is a Super Forte C - It's an amazing machine :D

From time to time I play some Chess960 games with Arena. And when I am really reallly bored I visit talkchess :)
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

It is not difficult but would require some rewrite so at least for the next version this will not be implemented, sorry. We will keep an eye on it however...

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

hgm wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:You say engine authors are a lazy bunch and yet Winboard is difficult to use and when one asks for help no help is forthcoming. Maybe you shouldn't paint your pictures with such a wide brush.
Excuse me???

When did I ever fail to provide help to someone who asked for it? When was the last time that someone reported a bug and it was not fixed within a week? Did you ever ask me for help? Do you know what you are talking about at all???
I sent you a private message quite awhile ago on this forum regarding installing engines in winboard and received no reply.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

hgm wrote:
SzG wrote:And as for support, you cannot ask for more. I don't remember a single case when I asked for help and I did not get it almost immediately. Once Harm-Geet even implemented a new feature for me without being asked.
Well, I think I figured out where this came from, and it seems I am at least partly to blame: I found a question in my PM inbox of how Thinker had to be installed in WinBoard, to which I might have failed to respond.

Simple because I did not have the faintest idea. I know nothing about Thinker, I don't have it, I never used it. PM is not the correct medium to ask help questions anyway, and such questions should be asked on the forum. So that someone that does use Thinker can answer them, and so that other people that have the same problem can benefit from the offered solution. As far as I am concerned this was a question about Thinker, not about WinBoard, directed to the wrong person.
Incorrect, but nice try at copping out. I needed help on installing an engine in winboard, and you didn't reply. You could have at least helped with some general installation advice or even replied that you didn't know how to install thinker. Or you could have even chastized me since PM is not the "correct medium" for a question. (although other people don't seem to have a problem with PM questions!)

Instead you chose not to answer at all. Which is fine.

But it is interesting how many excuses you gave for not doing what you claim to do.