Arena 2.4.0...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: Arena 2.4.0...

Post by Steve B »

SzG wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:other people don't seem to have a problem with PM questions!)
If you meant me: whenever I asked for help was always publicly, through the WinBoard forum.
For Some reason i have always gotten many more questions about Dedicated computers via PM then through public postings
this is true here and in forums that have much more posting activity about Dedicated computers
when this board was running on the old software the questions would come in via Email
i guess some folks just like the personal one on one touch
for the most part my replies would have been be the same regardless of the medium

Mano Y Mano Regards
Steve
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

tomgdrums wrote:Incorrect, but nice try at copping out. I needed help on installing an engine in winboard, and you didn't reply.
Indeed, I already admitted that. So now what is incorrect about it?
You could have at least helped with some general installation advice or even replied that you didn't know how to install thinker. Or you could have even chastized me since PM is not the "correct medium" for a question. (although other people don't seem to have a problem with PM questions!)
Well, what better way to chastize you than not to answer? I have given you installation advice, actually everything I know about installing engines, in the form of pages and pages of tutorials delivered with WinBoard.

Normally I answer even the most silly questions. Even to the point of explaining to people what a 'clipboard' is... But when I am very busy, messages that I cannot answer on the spot sometimes get forgotten.

If you want to be difficult about that, as is apparently your intent... Well, I won't lose sleep on one more person on my list of enemies.

But let me make one thing clear for once and for all: I do NOT think it is a task of a software developer to give free private tuition to people that cannot find the 'any key', or cure other forms of computer illitteracy. And that includes reading or spelling out instruction manuals to people who do not feel reading those themselves. And I don't think that people bombarding me with stupid questions have the RIGHT to get an explanation or an excuse when I cannot answer them. Aswering those falls under the header FAVORS.

And least of all I see how all that has anything to do with Arena handling an FRC position incorrectly.

So now you know the score...
Instead you chose not to answer at all. Which is fine.

But it is interesting how many excuses you gave for not doing what you claim to do.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,
It is not difficult but would require some rewrite so at least for the next version this will not be implemented, sorry. We will keep an eye on it however...
Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
I assume you replied to me re: docking of engine panes a la fritz.
Thank you Mike and look forward to your group's latest marvel.

And one more info (to volunteer) .... I can help translate Arena menus into Hindi ( National language of India) if you think it would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance.
Mithun Jain
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

It is not difficult but would require some rewrite so at least for the next version this will not be implemented, sorry. We will keep an eye on it however...
Michael

And one more info (to volunteer) .... I can help translate Arena menus into Hindi ( National language of India) if you think it would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance.
Mithun Jain
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Mithu wrote:
Michael

Thanks in advance.
Mithun Jain
Hi,

Well, already some people hve started Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese translation but never finnished it. Also there will be an Unicode version available, not sure when... but it would be nice to have an additional language and Hindi is a BIG language. So ....

Michael
hgm

Post by hgm »

Only Finnish translations can be finnished... :wink:

Not finishing translations seems a very common disease. I also noticed this with WinBoard. Many people offer to translate, but you hardly ever hear from them again. I had hoped making the translation a purely interactive effort, where you immediately can see the results of whateve you add to the language file, would have lowered the threshold, and at least produced some partial translations. But apart from the (complete) Spanish translation by Óscar Toledo we still don't have anything.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

Hi Mike and Muller ( or others who can answer this question of mine)

Is it a tough job to translate, for a non-technical person like me?
Can you give in layman's terms the technical part of translation?
I hope I am not troubling you folks... :roll: in this regard.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Mithu wrote:Hi Mike and Muller ( or others who can answer this question of mine)

Is it a tough job to translate, for a non-technical person like me?
Can you give in layman's terms the technical part of translation?
I hope I am not troubling you folks... :roll: in this regard.
Hi,

Take the english.lng file and translate each line, the right side of it (for your language)... like this:

Diskettenlaufwerk=Floppy
Wechseldatenträger=removable Disk
Festplatte=Harddisk
Netzwerk=Network
CD-ROM=CD-ROM
RAM=RAM

Michael
hgm

Post by hgm »

For WinBoard the language files look like the example below from the español.lng file:

Code: Select all

MENUS:

"New &Game\tCtrl-N" === "&Nueva partida\tCtrl+N"
"New Shuffle Game..." === "Nueva partida revuelta..."
"New Variant...\tAlt+Shift+V" === "Nueva variante...\tAlt+Mayús+V"
"&Load Game...\tCtrl-O" === "&Leer partida...\tCtrl+O"
"Load &Next Game\tAlt+PgDn" === "Partida s&iguiente\tAlt+PgDn"
"Load &Previous Game\tAlt+PgUp" === "Par&tida previa\tAlt+PgUp"
"&Reload Same Game" === "Releer la &misma partida"
"&Save Game...\tCtrl-S" === "&Guardar partida...\tCtrl+S"
"&Copy Game To Clipboard\tCtrl+C" === "&Copiar partida\tCtrl+C"
"Paste Game &From Clipboard\tCtrl+V" === "&Pegar partida\tCtrl+V"
"Copy Game List to Clipboard" === "Copiar lista de &partidas"
"L&oad Position...\tCtrl+Shift+O" === "Lee&r posición...\tCtrl+Mayús+O"
"Load N&ext Position\tAlt+Shift+PgDn" === "Posición si&guiente\tAlt+Mayús+PgDn"
"Load Pre&vious Position\tAlt+Shift+PgUp" === "Posició&n previa\tAlt+Mayús+PgUp"
"Reload Sa&me Position" === "Releer la mism&a posición"
"S&ave Position...\tCtrl+Shift+S" === "Guardar po&sición...\tCtrl+Mayús+S"
"Save &Diagram..." === "Guardar &diagrama..."
"Cop&y Position To Clipboard\tCtrl+Shift+C" === "C&opiar posición\tAlt+Mayús+C"
"Pas&te Position From Clipboard\tCtrl+Shift+V" === "P&egar posición\tAlt+Mayús+V"
"E&xit" === "&Salir"

"Machine &White\tCtrl+W" === "El programa juega con &blancas\tCtrl+W"
"Machine &Black\tCtrl+B" === "El programa juega con &negras\tCtrl+B"

A template file (language.txt in the distributed source tree of the development version) is available with empty translations, like

"New &Game" === ""

You would just have to rename that to xxx.lng, and insert the translations between the second pair of quotes. Then 'xxx' will automatically appear in the Help menu, and clicking it should switch to the translation defined in the file of that name.

The Spanish example can be downloaded from http://hgm.nubati.net/winbo_int.zip (just a bare winboard.exe + español.lng), so not really configured to run engines etc.).
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

I really thank you both ( Michael Diosi and H.G Muller ) who have taken pains to answer my question very kindly.
I will look into it and report back if it is easy for me.
Once again a warm thanks.

Mithun Jain.