WinBoard 4.5.0 beta: testers wanted

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: WinBoard 4.5.0 beta: testers wanted

Post by hgm »

Michel wrote:Actually the gamelist never completely worked for me. For large gamefiles (containing the 1000's of games) the gamelist seems to be always truncated.

This is xboard.
OK, that is interesting information. I will get to the bottom of this. The effect that you mention could be due to limitations on the listbox display widgets, though (e.g. there might be a maximum number of lines, like 64K).
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

What I need to do so winboard claim automatically flag while playing in an ICS server?

Just lost a bunch of games because very late I discovered I need to press F5 to claim it, under 4.4 it works, (when the opponent ran out of time I am adjudicated the win) but in this version I did not find any button or line in the ini file to modify.

Thank you
hgm

Post by hgm »

This is in the Options -> General menu dialog ('Auto Flag'), as always. I guess I forgot to configure it as 'on', like I did in 4.4.x. Apparently the compiled-in default setting of this option is 'off'.

And you pobably have been looking in the wrong winboard.ini (namely the master settings file in the winBoard directory, rather than the one containing your settings in your 'Application Data' folder.
hgm

Post by hgm »

OK, I got to the bottom of this, and it should be solved now. It was all due to the same 'safeStrCpy' routine put in as replacement for 'strcpy' to copy text strings. It was causing a lot of out-of-bounds memory writes, that were corrupting memory in places used for other puposes. Sometimes, like in the case of printing the game list, this lead to a crash. But it could basically lead to anything.

I fixed that safeStrCpy routine now so that it will no longer corrupt memory.

So testers, please switch to using the next version (4.20101112), now in the package at http://hgm.nubati.net/WinBoard-4.5.beta.zip .
hgm

Post by hgm »

Note that I just uploaded a new version (to the same link), with a fix for the one-click move: double-clicking an on piece to make it do the only capture it can do did not always work. The current download has -oneClickMove set by default, and you are encouraged to try it in all possible situations: legality testing on and off, promotions, castlings, in-check, pinned pieces...

The intended behavior is:

* Clicking an own piece that has only one legal move: do that move
* Double-clicking an own piece that has only one legal capture: do that capture
* Clicking an opponent piece that can only be captured in one legal way: capture it
* Clicking an empty square to which you only have one legal move: do that move.

(Always on the down-click.)
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

hgm wrote:Note that I just uploaded a new version (to the same link), with a fix for the one-click move: double-clicking an on piece to make it do the only capture it can do did not always work. The current download has -oneClickMove set by default, and you are encouraged to try it in all possible situations: legality testing on and off, promotions, castlings, in-check, pinned pieces...

The intended behavior is:

* Clicking an own piece that has only one legal move: do that move
* Double-clicking an own piece that has only one legal capture: do that capture
* Clicking an opponent piece that can only be captured in one legal way: capture it
* Clicking an empty square to which you only have one legal move: do that move.

(Always on the down-click.)
Thanks for all the improvements Mr.Muller !!!