Linux Wine and chess programs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ponti

Linux Wine and chess programs

Post by Ponti »

I`d like to know your experience with chess programs running with Wine. Is it possible to run:

- Chess Assistant ? Other CA programs like CT-ART, Middlegames, Aquarium, Endgames...
- Chessbase ? Fritz ?
- Chess Partner ?
- Chess Genius ?
- the old Power Chess ?

Well, at least if you can help me I can save a lot of time _not_ trying to install them, if they don`t work...
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
royb

Re: Linux Wine and chess programs

Post by royb »

Ponti wrote:I`d like to know your experience with chess programs running with Wine. Is it possible to run:

- Chess Assistant ? Other CA programs like CT-ART, Middlegames, Aquarium, Endgames...
- Chessbase ? Fritz ?
- Chess Partner ?
- Chess Genius ?
- the old Power Chess ?

Well, at least if you can help me I can save a lot of time _not_ trying to install them, if they don`t work...
I have run ChessBase Shredder 8 GUI successfully with Wine and Linux. The Fritz engine also works (Fritz 8 did at least -- I have since stopped buying ChessBase products so I do not have recent ChessBase GUIs to test with). I also ran the original version of Aquarium with Wine.

The others on your list I cannot comment on.

Roy
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

Ponti wrote:I`d like to know your experience with chess programs running with Wine. ...
In general my experiences are not so good.Wine has been designed to run Windows Office applications on Linux. That is what they should concentrate on.

vp
Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

I tried Fritz 12 under Wine (Ubuntu 10) and it did not work properly.

Axel
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
Andres Valverde

Post by Andres Valverde »

Ponti wrote:I`d like to know your experience with chess programs running with Wine. Is it possible to run:

- Chessbase ? Fritz ?
- Chess Partner ?
- Chess Genius ?
- the old Power Chess ?

Arena works fine for me under Ubuntu
Saludos, Andres
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Arena is the best. But all the Rebel DOS programs will run nicely on dosbox under Linux. Crafty Chess GUI runs exceptionally well too.