For Critter 0.90 what are recommended GTB Cache Settings

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mhalstern

For Critter 0.90 what are recommended GTB Cache Settings

Post by mhalstern »

The default is 32. My pc has plenty of free ram Should I increase this number for elo gain, or will it not make a difference.
rvida

Re: For Critter 0.90 what are recommended GTB Cache Settings

Post by rvida »

Critter stores every TB probe in its hash table with "infinite" depth (lowest probability of being overwritten). Unless the hash table is full it never probes a position twice - here the TB cache is useless. The story changes with long TC or infinite analysis. TB positions will be sooner or later evicted from hash table and the TB cache starts to be really useful. It is much more space efficient than hash table. (one position in hash table consumes 16 bytes of memory, in Gaviota cache only 2 bits)

If hash table is far from 99% full, 32 MB will be enough. If it is at 99%, larger cache size may improve nps.

Richard
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

rvida wrote:Critter stores every TB probe in its hash table with "infinite" depth (lowest probability of being overwritten). Unless the hash table is full it never probes a position twice - here the TB cache is useless. The story changes with long TC or infinite analysis. TB positions will be sooner or later evicted from hash table and the TB cache starts to be really useful. It is much more space efficient than hash table. (one position in hash table consumes 16 bytes of memory, in Gaviota cache only 2 bits)

If hash table is far from 99% full, 32 MB will be enough. If it is at 99%, larger cache size may improve nps.

Richard
I quote this comment to express my admiration for your incredible improvement rate.

You've caught up with SF, next stop is Rybka 4, I'm sure ;-)

Congratulations Richard.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

mcostalba wrote:You've caught up with SF, next stop is Rybka 4, I'm sure ;-)

Congratulations Richard.
It would certainly be nice to see a different engine at the top for a change. :P
gbanksnz at gmail.com