BB+ on the matter

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: BB+ on the matter

Post by Milos »

Albert Silver wrote:Because you are wrong? A contribution doesn't have to be charitable (free). A contribution is when something is added.
It doesn't have to be free. However, in case of Rybka since you have to pay for it, its contribution can be exclusively measured by satisfaction of ppl who bought it. (the crap story about author motivation not many ppl buys anyway, so I leave it aside for you guys to have a straw in discussion since you lack any other argument obviously)
Since there are so many commercial chess engines which had so much more satisfied customers than Rybka, this as a measure of contribution says it's rather mediocre.
However, problem is that Don tries to present Vas's "effort" as some monumental contribution, while in reality it goes from questionable to mediocre (which is another direct proof of bias, or so-call Vas-chess-god syndrome...)
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Albert Silver wrote:
mhull wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:Put another way:
There are many ways to benefit from something.
I can benefit by simply seeing it (art, for example)
I can benefit by using something (public transportation, for example)
I can benefit by learning something (reading at the public library, for example)
I can benefit by teaching something (teaching the underpriveleged Seattle youth in the UPWARD BOUND program, for example)
I can benefit by seeing a mistake, and hence avoiding the same thing myself.
I can benefit by improving my attitude.
I can benefit by improving my health.
I can benefit by public service to the community (it is not only the recipient that is blessed, but even more so the donor)
I can benefit myself and others by working on a public software project.
I can solve people's business problems by working on a commercial software project.

Everyone knows this. I didn't have to say it.
If you had to pay to obtain them, they weren't contributions. Everyone knows this. Why does anyone have to say it?
Because you are wrong? A contribution doesn't have to be charitable (free). A contribution is when something is added.

Maybe this will help:

Etymology of Contribution
I posted this definition else-thread:
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Definition:
contribution noun /?k?n.tr?'bju?.??n//?k??n-/ n [C or U] something that you do or give to help produce or achieve something together with other people, or to help make something successful
All contributions (= presents of money), no matter how small, will be much appreciated.
All contributions (= articles to be printed) for the school magazine must be received by August 1st.
This invention made a major contribution to road safety.
She didn't make much of a contribution (= She did not say much) at today's meeting, did she?
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Milos wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:Because you are wrong? A contribution doesn't have to be charitable (free). A contribution is when something is added.
It doesn't have to be free. However, in case of Rybka since you have to pay for it, its contribution can be exclusively measured by satisfaction of ppl who bought it. (the crap story about author motivation not many ppl buys anyway, so I leave it aside for you guys to have a straw in discussion since you lack any other argument obviously)
Since there are so many commercial chess engines which had so much more satisfied customers than Rybka, this as a measure of contribution says it's rather mediocre.
However, problem is that Don tries to present Vas's "effort" as some monumental contribution, while in reality it goes from questionable to mediocre (which is another direct proof of bias, or so-call Vas-chess-god syndrome...)
A contribution can be indirect. In the case of Rybka the indirect contribution was to set a goal for others to achieve. Now there are programs stronger than R3 that happened in less time than it would have happened if there was no R3.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

Maybe this will help:

Nothing is being added in a commercial exchange, unless the exchange is intentionally generous on one side. The idea of a contribution is one of giving, not receiving or transacting business. Don suggested that his sense of what he received in the exchange was so great from his POV, that it was more a gift than a transaction. But contributions are an act of giving, not a perception of receiving. Charities seek contributions. Commercial transactions are not contributions, obviously.

I think what we are seeing is latent Rybka groupie-ism. People are/were so delighted with it (after the long reign of Shredder) that it was though the Beatles had come to town. Superlatives soon lost all meaning. Adoring fans would have mortgaged their homes to have a private audience with the greater coder to convey their thanks for the privilige of purchasing such a treasure. Anyone who doesn't wince at the thought of all the fawning Rybka posts that used to paper this forum has lost all sense of proportion and decorum.

The half-life of this syndrome seems to be long. The idea that this product is actually a great and gracious contribution to computer chess makes a mockery of the forum(s) from whence it came in the first place, where ideas were exchanged freely. But the now-sainted programmer has yet to prophesy his second advent, at which time he may deign to shine a couple of photons of his glory to illuminate the shadows wherein the benighted code grinders of CCC struggle to solve their little two-banana problems.

Saints (real ones) preserve us from such obsequious political correctness.
Matthew Hull
Milos

Post by Milos »

Michael Sherwin wrote:A contribution can be indirect. In the case of Rybka the indirect contribution was to set a goal for others to achieve. Now there are programs stronger than R3 that happened in less time than it would have happened if there was no R3.
As I said up there not many ppl buys that pure speculation. It's just a pathetic argument in vain attempt to justify Vas's "contributions".
I can speculate completly opposite - for example since Rybka was so much stronger many authors lost their motivation and confidence (some even started seeing Vas as god, and you know, you can't compete with a divine being :)) and that slowed progress a lot.
And there is no way you'd be more right than me...
As a matter of fact, there are quite a bit of examples that confirm my argumentation. For example if you take best leagues in football (for USA ppl soccer) in Europe you will see that leagues where one team dominates from year to year are much weaker than leagues where you have several more less equal competitors (for example Bundesliga vs. Premiership)
Last edited by Milos on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

mhull wrote:I think what we are seeing is latent Rybka groupie-ism.
What a load of crap.
That's always the argument that gets pulled out whenever somebody chooses to speak out against what is going on.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
mhull

Post by mhull »

Graham Banks wrote:
mhull wrote:I think what we are seeing is latent Rybka groupie-ism.
What a load of crap.
That's always the argument that gets pulled out whenever somebody chooses to speak out against what is going on.
It's not an argument. Those were made in the other posts. This is just my opinion, which is supported by the strained, illogical support of the "contribution" misnomer.
Matthew Hull
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

mhull wrote:

Maybe this will help:

Nothing is being added in a commercial exchange, unless the exchange is intentionally generous on one side. The idea of a contribution is one of giving, not receiving or transacting business. Don suggested that his sense of what he received in the exchange was so great from his POV, that it was more a gift than a transaction. But contributions are an act of giving, not a perception of receiving. Charities seek contributions. Commercial transactions are not contributions, obviously.

I think what we are seeing is latent Rybka groupie-ism. People are/were so delighted with it (after the long reign of Shredder) that it was though the Beatles had come to town. Superlatives soon lost all meaning. Adoring fans would have mortgaged their homes to have a private audience with the greater coder to convey their thanks for the privilige of purchasing such a treasure. Anyone who doesn't wince at the thought of all the fawning Rybka posts that used to paper this forum has lost all sense of proportion and decorum.

The half-life of this syndrome seems to be long. The idea that this product is actually a great and gracious contribution to computer chess makes a mockery of the forum(s) from whence it came in the first place, where ideas were exchanged freely. But the now-sainted programmer has yet to prophesy his second advent, at which time he may deign to shine a couple of photons of his glory to illuminate the shadows wherein the benighted code grinders of CCC struggle to solve their little two-banana problems.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I commented that the word contribution is not philanthropism, but means to add, thus Rybka, which is the subject here, has added to the field.

Rybka FYI is not a commercial transaction, it is a chess engine, so stating that a commercial transaction is not a contribution is irrelevant. As an engine, it has added to computer chess and to chess itself.

You then go on this extremely long diatribe on groupie-ism, worshipping the programmer, and god knows what else. What on earth does any of this have to do with the term contribution not meaning obligatorily your narrow, and incorrect, definition of it as an act of charity?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
mhull

Post by mhull »

Albert Silver wrote:
mhull wrote:

Maybe this will help:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I commented that the word contribution is not philanthropism, but means to add, thus Rybka, which is the subject here, has added to the field.
Your comment doesn't agree with the English definition. Contribution does not mean merely to add. The principle connotation carried in the word is of either of a share of a group effort, philanthropy or a tax levy. Pick one of those three because that's all there is. Look at the definition in any normal English dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contribution
http://www.elook.org/dictionary/contribution.html
http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/contribution/
http://www.yourdictionary.com/contribution
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictio ... ntribution

Just look at the synonyms from Merriam-Webster:
Synonyms: alms, benefaction, beneficence, charity, donation, philanthropy

You'll notice that if anyone in a Rybka transaction is contributing anything, it's the customer.
Albert Silver wrote: Rybka FYI is not a commercial transaction, it is a chess engine, so stating that a commercial transaction is not a contribution is irrelevant. As an engine, it has added to computer chess and to chess itself.
Rybka is nothing but a commercial transaction, for you cannot partake of it unless you purchase it (or steal it). It is not a contribution, but a sold product.
Albert Silver wrote:You then go on this extremely long diatribe on groupie-ism, worshipping the programmer, and god knows what else. What on earth does any of this have to do with the term contribution not meaning obligatorily your narrow, and incorrect, definition of it as an act of charity?
It would seem to have everything to do with the pretzel-logic being employed to support the idea that Rybka is a contribution.

But I hereby acknowledge your reasoning is not because of latent groupie-ism, since your assertion is that the extent of Rybka's "contribution" was that it was merely added to a list of chess programs, which actually does cost nothing.

;)
Matthew Hull
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Don wrote:
rodolfoleoni wrote:The opinion I'm having about R3-Ippo stuff is that Vas had right to keep his code secret, so they somehow violated some trade secrets, if they really performed a reverse engineering.

The second opinion I'm having is there's no proof that the secret violation was followed by a cloning of the original product.

Guilty of reverse engineriing, innocent of cloning.

Well, just opinions.
You won't get consensus on any of these issues I'm afraid.
It doesn't matter to get agreement. This discussion helped me to have an impression of what happened. And since there's no way to see what really happened, it'll remain an impression based on nothing else than little informations.

I appreciate your honesty when you admit Komodo is growing strong also because of ideas you can take from those Ipp* open source. I really like how Komodo plays, and I'm waiting for further progresses. :)
I'd just add some kind of middlegame position learning system. I've always been a maniac of learning systems, I consider it a useful tool for the user who wants to analyze positions making moves and taking them back.

Well, I'm going out of topic... :)
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)