BB+ on the matter

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: BB+ on the matter

Post by Milos »

Graham Banks wrote:It has been reverse engineered and had the resulting "code" published. Now every man and his dog that can't write an original engine of their own are using it as a base for a strong engine that they call their own.
A bold statement coming from a person that cannot hexedit the name of the engine and for whom compiling is a rocket science...
You just disqualified yourself from man and dog category. :lol:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Milos wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:It has been reverse engineered and had the resulting "code" published. Now every man and his dog that can't write an original engine of their own are using it as a base for a strong engine that they call their own.
A bold statement coming from a person that cannot hexedit the name of the engine and for whom compiling is a rocket science...
Oh damn! :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Milos

Post by Milos »

Albert Silver wrote:You are mistaken. It raised the standard. It raised the standard of ability/strength, it raised the standard of what can be achieved within a year, and it raised the standard of chess analysis. It did not add to the knowledge of the science, but not only did no one state this, but Don, Dann, and others have explicitly distinguished there are all manners of contributing that do not involve selflessness.
Raising standard is just BS. It demotivated chess authors from programming and competing and degraded the level of chess. The great man Fabien lost interest because of scumbag Vas. That speaks volumes...
Opinion of 2 chess programmers (even though for Dann I'm not certain) is far from any majority...
You are as usual torturing the facts to support your wrong argumentation.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
Milos wrote:
Oh damn! :lol:
If you see my "Old Shep" up there among the top 5 you know my bitch has made it to the big time. :lol:
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Milos wrote:
You Russians haven't done squat with the code to come up with another Rising Star....I guess we'll have to wait for the Chinese....
Terry McCracken
Milos

Post by Milos »

Terry McCracken wrote:You Russians haven't done squat with the code to come up with another Rising Star....I guess we'll have to wait for the Chinese....
A cheetah is also not in a man and dog category... ;)
kranium

Post by kranium »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Milos wrote:
You Russians haven't done squat with the code to come up with another Rising Star....I guess we'll have to wait for the Chinese....
Milos is Russian?
I knew it...he must be one of those original damn Ippolit decompiling/reverse-engineering/cloner/hackers!
Burn them all at the stake I say!
Last edited by kranium on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Milos wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:A contribution can be indirect. In the case of Rybka the indirect contribution was to set a goal for others to achieve. Now there are programs stronger than R3 that happened in less time than it would have happened if there was no R3.
As I said up there not many ppl buys that pure speculation. It's just a pathetic argument in vain attempt to justify Vas's "contributions".
I can speculate completly opposite - for example since Rybka was so much stronger many authors lost their motivation and confidence (some even started seeing Vas as god, and you know, you can't compete with a divine being :)) and that slowed progress a lot.
And there is no way you'd be more right than me...
As a matter of fact, there are quite a bit of examples that confirm my argumentation. For example if you take best leagues in football (for USA ppl soccer) in Europe you will see that leagues where one team dominates from year to year are much weaker than leagues where you have several more less equal competitors (for example Bundesliga vs. Premiership)
Some gave up. Some worked harder. Why can't both of these be right?
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Milos

Post by Milos »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Milos wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:A contribution can be indirect. In the case of Rybka the indirect contribution was to set a goal for others to achieve. Now there are programs stronger than R3 that happened in less time than it would have happened if there was no R3.
As I said up there not many ppl buys that pure speculation. It's just a pathetic argument in vain attempt to justify Vas's "contributions".
I can speculate completly opposite - for example since Rybka was so much stronger many authors lost their motivation and confidence (some even started seeing Vas as god, and you know, you can't compete with a divine being :)) and that slowed progress a lot.
And there is no way you'd be more right than me...
As a matter of fact, there are quite a bit of examples that confirm my argumentation. For example if you take best leagues in football (for USA ppl soccer) in Europe you will see that leagues where one team dominates from year to year are much weaker than leagues where you have several more less equal competitors (for example Bundesliga vs. Premiership)
Some gave up. Some worked harder. Why can't both of these be right?
They can of course. It's just that we can't know which outcome would have bigger influence on computer chess. Therefore, it is not a valid argument for claiming contribution.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about. I commented that the word contribution is not philanthropism, but means to add, thus Rybka, which is the subject here, has added to the field.
All Rybka has _added_ is another very strong program. It has added _nothing_ to the body of science applied to computer chess.
It has been reverse engineered and had the resulting "code" published. Now every man and his dog that can't write an original engine of their own are using it as a base for a strong engine that they call their own.
Didn't know that dogs can help when writing a chess program :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….