Should TCEC switch to Ponder = ON ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Should TCEC switch to Ponder = ON or stick with Ponder = OFF ?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Ponder = ON
44%
Ponder = OFF (Like it is now)
56%

Total votes: 32

Martin Thoresen

Re: Should TCEC switch to Ponder = ON ?

Post by Martin Thoresen »

If someone hasn't voted yet please do so now, it's not too long until the poll expires.
Martin Thoresen

The decision had to be taken even though there's a couple more hours left of the poll.

Ponder will stay OFF.

Thanks for voting everyone. Division III has started so I invite
everyone to watch the broadcast, either on my page or over at
chessbomb, or even better: both places. :lol:
brianr

Post by brianr »

Dann Corbit wrote:Half the time with twice the cores = twice the time with half the cores.
Sorry Dan, but I must disagree with this statement.

There are significant parallel search efficiency issues.
Moreover, there are time control issues.

So, what is better, but still not exactly equal (due to hashing and other non-deterministic factors) is:
one core with twice the speed about equal to another single core at half the speed for twice the time.

That said, of course I typically test Tinker without pondering to get the most games (and no, Tinker is still not a parallel searcher).

For "proper" tournaments I think pondering should be on, just IMO.
In any case, pondering is nothing compared to the much thornier book issue. :wink:
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

ponder on would be interesting, but i'm fine either way...and if its not broke, don't fix it.

thank you once again martin for this undertaking. don't know what your PC situation is but its fantastic youre dedicating so much time, h/w & electricity simply for the enjoyment of others. even though it may seem small in comparison, i've truly become appreciative of the work of guys like you, richard vida, & miguel balliorca, as well as of course the stockfish team. very cool to see such genuine generosity & community.
Martin Thoresen

yanquis1972 wrote:ponder on would be interesting, but i'm fine either way...and if its not broke, don't fix it.

thank you once again martin for this undertaking. don't know what your PC situation is but its fantastic youre dedicating so much time, h/w & electricity simply for the enjoyment of others. even though it may seem small in comparison, i've truly become appreciative of the work of guys like you, richard vida, & miguel balliorca, as well as of course the stockfish team. very cool to see such genuine generosity & community.
John,

Thank you so much for your encouragement! Comments like this are exactly what inspires me to continue.

Now that I feel TCEC is where it should be we should all be able to enjoy some fine computer chess in the future.

Thanks again.

-Martin