WinBoard German Translation

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

WinBoard German Translation

Post by hgm »

The WinBoard beta version is now available in a (partial) German translation. Native German speakers are invited to test it. It is available from

http://hgm.nubati.net/WinBoard-4.5.beta.zip

(best unpack in C:\ ).

When during startup you give the "additional option"

/language=deutsch

it should persistently switch to German, so that the next time you will even see the startup dialog in German. During the run you can switch between languages through the Help menu. (This is not yet persistent, though, as it was mainly meant as an aid for the translators.)

Note that the Spanish language file is also included in that download (/language=español).

Any comments are welcome.
Matthias Gemuh

Re: WinBoard German Translation

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Warum hast du uns so lange vernachlaessigt ? :roll:
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

Ich hab es schon vor Jahren übersetzt aber wozu eigentlich?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, the interactively translateble version of WinBoard only exists for half a year now, and I am obviously dependent on native speakers to make an actual translation. (And it is alot of work!)

For this one you have to thank Oliver Uwira. (As you can see in the About Box!)
OliverUwira

Post by OliverUwira »

As H.G. said, it is not completely done yet. The menus and dialog labels should all be translated, but some labels are too narrow to hold the German text.

I'll try to finish it in time for the release version.

PS: Wer das hier lesen kann, darf mir gerne eine PM schreiben, falls ein unglücklich übersetzter Text ins Auge fällt. Ich kannte mich mit Winboard noch nicht so gut aus und bin daher nicht sicher, immer genau die Bedeutung des englischen Texts verstanden zu haben (-:
hgm

Post by hgm »

OliverUwira wrote:As H.G. said, it is not completely done yet. The menus and dialog labels should all be translated, but some labels are too narrow to hold the German text.
The posted version has most of the dialogs enlarged, where this was needed. Just in a few cases, where one text was excessively long compared to all other texts in that dialog, I tried to abbreviate the German text. (This was the "Hide Thinking" checkbox in the General Options menu.)

Perhaps something that would be useful to have public discussion about is what would be the proper translation of "Engine". Currently it is left untransated. I noticed that Arena uses "Motor" for this. Arun (the only active member of the GNU XBoard team), who is a native German speaker, considered this a translation at Google level, however, and suggested "Schachprogramm". Which IMO is not really the same as an engine (although the WB -fcp option does officially stand for-firstChessProgram), and is also inconveniently long.
OliverUwira

Post by OliverUwira »

In my opinion, "Motor" sounds a little silly, at least to my ear/eyes. It is the direct translation of "engine", but in a car context.

A better translation is "Programm" or "Schachprogramm", but most casual users are bound to confuse this with the whole application, which would also referred to as "Programm".

Therefore I chose to leave it at engine, because casual users will have to find out what is meant by "Motor" in any case, i.e. that it refers to a separate program that has to be loaded to do the chess thinking.

If you read German articles about computer chess, i.e. Lars Bremer's introduction of Deep Sjeng c't 2010, "die Engine" is used to refer to the "brain" of a GUI in addition to "das Programm".

I would recommend to simply keep "die Engine" as the technical term in order to avoid confusion with the main application, and in order to stay clear of the strange "der Motor".
Deep Sjeng gehört zu den derzeit stärksten Schachprogrammen; Experten schätzen die aktive Spielweise und die druckvolle Angriffsführung. Das letzte Release dieser Engine liegt allerdings schon einige Zeit zurück. Für c't hat Entwickler Gian-Carlo Pascutto seine aktuelle Entwicklungsversion kompiliert. Das Programm hat keine eigene Oberfläche, sondern funktioniert als sogenannte UCI-Engine in der ebenfalls auf der DVD vorhandenen Windows-Version von Shredder Classic 4.
OliverUwira

Post by OliverUwira »

hgm wrote:I noticed that Arena uses "Motor" for this.
I always set Arena to English because this hurts my eyes...
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

hgm wrote:
Perhaps something that would be useful to have public discussion about is what would be the proper translation of "Engine". Currently it is left untransated. I noticed that Arena uses "Motor" for this. Arun (the only active member of the GNU XBoard team), who is a native German speaker, considered this a translation at Google level, however, and suggested "Schachprogramm". Which IMO is not really the same as an engine (although the WB -fcp option does officially stand for-firstChessProgram), and is also inconveniently long.
I agree with Oliver that "Motor" is silly. It is interesting that I too (like Oliver) preferred english Arena because I hated to see "Motor". "Schachprogramm" is 10 times better.
Though more accurate, "Rechenmodul" sounds less sexy.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
hgm

Post by hgm »

Actually I do like the "Rechenmodul". "Modul" seems a more accurate description than "Programm"; it stresses the incompleteness. "Schachmodul" sounds even better to me.