Play Chess dot com....?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rightrook

Play Chess dot com....?

Post by rightrook »

Does anyone here play chess at playchess.com...?

They want a serial number...is it safe to give your credit card number to them? .......Wish they took "Google Wallet"..

I thought they were located in Pittsburg, Penna.

I thought they had a senior's discount....:-)

I was a member several years ago, but now would like to join again.

thanks for your help

Robert
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Re: Play Chess dot com....?

Post by gaard »

I play there every now and then. It's been so long I don't even know if my account has expired though. I get in these states and then I play there for 10 hours a day and then don't return for 6 months. From what I can remember, the transaction is totally secure, but don't take my word for it.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

They must be losing many subs.Out of all the mobile platforms that offer online play, only FICS and ICC have jumped on board and have apps for iphone,android,WM, with there being many to choose from for each platform.Try playing online chess at PlayChess with a mobile-phone and you are stuck with the old beta fritz mobile for symbian systems.I now play 95% of my time online using a mobile device.One way to get an idea if numbers are falling is to seek a game or look at the seeks, over the years I have noticed that ICC takes much longer to find an opponent, where as FICS has remained constant or a little bit faster.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

rightrook wrote:Does anyone here play chess at playchess.com...?

They want a serial number...is it safe to give your credit card number to them? .......Wish they took "Google Wallet"..

I thought they were located in Pittsburg, Penna.

I thought they had a senior's discount....:-)

I was a member several years ago, but now would like to join again.

thanks for your help

Robert
Hamburg, Germany. :-)

They belong to Chessbase, and are integrated into their software (Chessbase, Fritz, and of course Playchess alone).
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
OliverUwira

Post by OliverUwira »

Playchess is run by ChessBase, who're based in Hamburg, Germany. So I don't think you will be ripped off if you pay via CC.

As with most companies who sell real goods, they will make more money by staying honest.

I ordered there quite often and payed via Direct Debit, which means they have my banking connection. Despite that, they haven't fraudulently emptied my bank account yet (-:

Just go to their English shop site http://www.chessbase-shop.com/en/products/5814 and order it there. When you checkout your cart, an encrypted connection will be used.

Moreover, once your private data and CC number are transmitted they are subject to the very rigid German data privacy law, as well as the CC specific PCI Data Security Standard, which all major CC organisations require their participants to adhere to.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/merchants/
Mark Mason

Post by Mark Mason »

Not sure why there appears to be such a rush on here to criticise Chessbase or Playchess.com ?? I have been playing on Playchess.com for over 7 years both in engine and human play and in my opinion it is an excellent chess server, and I much prefer the GUI and facilities to any of the alternatives. The 12 month standard serial is good value and payment is secure and safe - you can pay using credit card or Paypal and get your serial by immediate return email.
OliverUwira

Post by OliverUwira »

Mark Mason wrote:Not sure why there appears to be such a rush on here to criticise Chessbase or Playchess.com ??
Probably for the same reason Microsoft is getting continuous heat...
rightrook

Post by rightrook »

Thanks Oliver...I think your reply was the best....also thanks to the others too...

:D