How to make your engine play automatically on icc?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

EroSennin

How to make your engine play automatically on icc?

Post by EroSennin »

Ok I just made a computer account and I thought it would be as easy as on playchess. But I see no way to do this. Any help and remember I am a total noob.
bob

Re: How to make your engine play automatically on icc?

Post by bob »

EroSennin wrote:Ok I just made a computer account and I thought it would be as easy as on playchess. But I see no way to do this. Any help and remember I am a total noob.
You need a GUI that will talk to ICS and your program. I use xboard with Crafty, and it works flawlessly.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

xboard -zp -fcp engine -fd /path/to/engine/directory -ics -icshost icsserver -size small

Or something along those lines. I use fics not ICC so not sure of the server addresss.

-Josh

P.S. Believe the windows version is similiar

winboard /zp /fcp c:\enginedirectory\engine.exe /fd c:\enginedirectory\ /ics /icshost icc.org /size small
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

You can also look into icsdroneng which is nice but not sure if it FICS only or will work with ICC as well. Know it doesn't work with HG Mullers FICS.

-Josh
http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algeb ... g-release/
EroSennin

Post by EroSennin »

jshriver wrote:xboard -zp -fcp engine -fd /path/to/engine/directory -ics -icshost icsserver -size small

Or something along those lines. I use fics not ICC so not sure of the server addresss.

-Josh

P.S. Believe the windows version is similiar

winboard /zp /fcp c:\enginedirectory\engine.exe /fd c:\enginedirectory\ /ics /icshost icc.org /size small
Where do I put that code? It was so easy on playchess....
Michel

Post by Michel »

jshriver wrote:You can also look into icsdroneng which is nice but not sure if it FICS only or will work with ICC as well. Know it doesn't work with HG Mullers FICS.

-Josh
http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algeb ... g-release/
No it is FICS only. ICC membership is much too expensive for me. Icsdroneng also does not work with HGM's FICS but this is for fairly trivial reasons which could be fixed. However icsdroneng is mainly meant for 24/24 hour bots whereas HGM's FICS seems to be used mainly for organized blitz tournaments. I am not sure if a GUIless bot would be a desirable option for that.
jdart

Post by jdart »

> Where do I put that code? It was so easy on playchess....

This goes into a command line window. Or you can place in in a batch file (Windows) or shell script (Linux).
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

If you have tips on what needs moded to work on Mullers ICS I'd appreciate it. Been trying to get it working as I run the same code at home and use it with multiple computers for tournaments and testing.

icsdroneng would be a lot nicer than trying to use xboard on headless nodes.

-Josh