Is Chess A Sport?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Is Chess A Sport?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 43

Arturo Ochoa

Re: Is Chess A Sport?

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Chess is just that, a game, but a very good one.

Sports imply physical activities. I don’t know how physical activities can happen during a chess game.

The physical preparation to be prepared to resist 3 hours is not chess itself.
Apparently you are not aware of the physical preparedness required to play in tournaments. I used to loose 2-3kg's in 2-3 days of chess tournaments which consisted of playing chess almost 8 hours each day. I think chess is a bit like motorsports. People think that steering the wheel and changing gear cannot be physical until they hear that racing drivers are subject to g forces sometimes as high as 6g... So yes chess is a sport.
On the contrayy, I am awared.

What you say it is not part of chess itself.

You don't need to run during a chess game. Just to move your hands and your fingers.

Physical preparation is not chess. You can run, go the gym, walk, swim and they are not chess activities. They help to be in good shape for any activity.

I practice certain extreme sport and part of my preparation is a heavy GYM session. It doesn´t mean that GYM is part of that extreme sport.

Sorry, chess is just that, a game. A very good one.
That is because your definition of sport is muscles.

I'm guessing you don't agree that that game that is very popular in Canada, I keep forgetting its name, but resembles shuffleboard on ice with a bunch of maids sweeping the ice, is not a sport (even though it is a part of the Olympics).
You don't get it either. When I talk about muscles, I mean a physical activity. Look this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

What you talk about is a sport called curling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling

Curling is a sport in which players slide stones across a sheet of ice towards a target area. It is related to bowls, boule and shuffleboard.

Chess is just that a game, a table game.
michiguel wrote:Personally, I do not care, but If I am pressed to define it, chess is a sport without a doubt for me.
michiguel wrote: Including muscle activity is very narrow requirement. Otherwise, shooting would not be a sport.
Obviously, you didn’t read the other posts where I linked the definition of sport.

michiguel wrote: What is needed is

1) a activity in which we use our body (brain is part of it) and it is improved in the process. The sport should make us better and more skillful.
2) Competition, this is the main component of a sport. No competition, no sport. Athlete means competitor in greek, not "physically fit person" as it is used today.
3) Victory should be based on skills, not random
4) There should be always be a chance to win or lose and the result should not be predetermined (Who is tallest is not a sport)
5) It should be organized, played by many with a federation and a defined set of rules, to preserve its integrity.
6) The sport itself should grow with its practice. e.g. We should improve, and also learn about the sport and pass it on.
1) Correction: pphysically skilful. Go to my other post about the sports definition.
2) Competition is part of a game. You can practice an sport without competition. So your definition is flaw. Go to my other post about the sports definition.
3) When a sport involve a game, yes, it can be a win, lost or draw. Sport don’t imply a game directly. Go to my other post about the sports definition.
4) The same premise -> Sport imply a physical activity not a mandatory competition.
5) False, you don’t have to practice a sport in a Federation base. You can play hockey with your friends…
6) Every activities in our life implies practice so you can improve not only just sports. I don’t get the relation. Anyway.

michiguel wrote: There are certain grey areas, and chess shines in all points except point one if you do not consider brain as part of your body and all the physiology that helps it (I physically trained 3 hours a day at least 3 months in advance for important tournaments).
Physical preparation is not chess itself. You can swim to get in good shape. The preparation is just related to the game: opening preparation, tactical stuff….

When you play Scrabble, you must also prepare….
michiguel wrote: Other sports are weak in this point too. Shooting, golf, curling, etc, but you should not forget that hand-eye coordination, pulse, precision etc. are certainly "body skills" that are good to have.

Other sports are VERY weak in key points like 2. For instance, figure skating, gymnastics, etc. The competition aspect is extremelly subjective. When you need judges to give a score the competition suffers (better to have goals, time, weight, checkmates, knock outs, hits, etc.) and it is a gimmick to hide its non competitve nature.
This is not related to the subject. Curling is a sport. Physical skills are required. While you can play chess assisted by other person.
michiguel wrote: If you make me choose which one is ¨more" sport, I would choose chess over figure skating.
Miguel
Chess is a board game, although it hurts your pride.
michiguel wrote: huh?
I read your posts, but you did not read mind. I started with
"Personally, I do not care, but If I am pressed to define it, chess is a sport without a doubt for me." What pride are you talking about?
Let me know how chess helps you keep heallty as a physical activity. Blinded people can play chess assisted by other person. The effort is not physical. You don’t need physical skills to play chess.
michiguel wrote: I really do not care much about definitions from dictionaries. They are generally incomplete and there no such thing as a sport definition. It is like life, very difficult to define. You are going to find a definition of life in the dictionary but there is no real consensus about it. What we have is things that describe it and characterize it, but it is not possible to nail it.
Look at the description of sport in wikipedia. I requires two paragraphs, and chess is included as mind sports. Another opinion like yours, or mine. Because that is what it is, an opinion.
This is just now hilarious and funny. Sitting down in a table is a sport. Ok, domino, poker, scrabble, checkers, parchis must be considered sports.

michiguel wrote: Miguel
PS: If we are picky, even if we follow the thin definition you presented, chess is a sport. The etimology of "athlete" is who he competes for a prize.
PS2: Chess in many countries is a sport and included in gov. sport secretaries or ministeries. For instance, in Argentina, chess awards are given together with other sports. Chess is in the sports section no matter what a dictionary would say.
I don’t know how you arrived to that conclusion based on my definition.

In some countries, dominos are popular, have federations, are supported by the government; so also, a sport according to you.

Funny. :lol: Go ahead.
Include also Monopoly.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

michiguel wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

Sports imply physical activities. I don’t know how physical activities can happen during a chess game.
How do you define "physical activities"?

Because i remember reading an article on Kasparov-Karpov in their second match, where it stated that both players but especially Karpov were losing a considerable amount of weight after each game.

Also playing Chess requires a huge activity in the brain, very much above the basal metabolic rate and much more than just playing music or solving a puzzle etc (i remember some tests they did with Susan Polgar's brain if you are interested there are some interesting facts in her blog.).

So with that kind of massive work, the brain burns big doses of glucose and so it burns big amounts of calories.

Does the extensive working of the brain classifies as a physical activity?
For me and many others yes but for Arturo Ochoa no. I can easily say that I felt physically and mentally more exhausted after a full day of playing chess in a tourney than a full day of rock climbing.

And yes I used to loose weight in tournaments as well. That might be only me but still it is valid at least for me.
You are not alone. For instance, the first time I heard this as a kid was from IM S. Giardelli, who told me long time ago that he lost 5 Kg in the World Junior Championship (it was in the 70´s, the one Beliavsky won).

Miguel
Btw a question: If each chess piece weight 5kg would chess be considered as physical activity and thus sport? Is it so simple?
And it is just not mental energy. It takes a lot of stamina to sit there for hours at a time with good alert body posture. Also bad verves will burn a lot of energy. Chess requires a sizable amount of energy output if it is to be played well. Slouching at the board will lead to disinterest and bad play.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

Because i remember reading an article on Kasparov-Karpov in their second match, where it stated that both players but especially Karpov were losing a considerable amount of weight after each game.

Also playing Chess requires a huge activity in the brain, very much above the basal metabolic rate and much more than just playing music or solving a puzzle etc (i remember some tests they did with Susan Polgar's brain if you are interested there are some interesting facts in her blog.).

So with that kind of massive work, the brain burns big doses of glucose and so it burns big amounts of calories.

For me and many others yes but for Arturo Ochoa no. I can easily say that I felt physically and mentally more exhausted after a full day of playing chess in a tourney than a full day of rock climbing.

And yes I used to loose weight in tournaments as well. That might be only me but still it is valid at least for me.
You are not alone. For instance, the first time I heard this as a kid was from IM S. Giardelli, who told me long time ago that he lost 5 Kg in the World Junior Championship (it was in the 70´s, the one Beliavsky won).

Miguel
Btw a question: If each chess piece weight 5kg would chess be considered as physical activity and thus sport? Is it so simple?
And it is just not mental energy. It takes a lot of stamina to sit there for hours at a time with good alert body posture. Also bad verves will burn a lot of energy. Chess requires a sizable amount of energy output if it is to be played well. Slouching at the board will lead to disinterest and bad play.
Tell that to a marathon attlete who must run 42kms in 2hours and a half.

You bring the thought to be sit down 6 hours also playing Monopoly. According to you, it would require a lot of stamina.

:lol: This is becoming more and more hilarious...
Michael Sherwin

Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

Miguel

You bring the thought to be sit down 6 hours also playing Monopoly. According to you, it would require a lot of stamina.

Monopoly does not compare to chess! I can play 6 hours of Monopoly and not get tired. I can laugh and joke and have fun with the other people playing the game. I do not need to concentrate or have good posture or even a strong desire to win. I just need luck with the dice. I do not have to train day after day week after week month after month year after year to play great Monopoly. I am not competing against way above average intelligent people when I play Monopoly. I do not have any pride at stake when I play Monopoly. I do not have any long term goals concerning Monopoly. Monopoly is just a game. No one pours their life energy into Monopoly to be a better Monopoly player. No Monopoly player has a million fans like some chess players have. There are not thousands of training manuals for Monopoly like there is chess. There are not training camps for Monopoly like there is for chess.

If I was not so tired I could keep on going with this for quite awhile. Chess has so many attributes in common with sport and Monopoly few if any that your statement is just the height of being silly.
Michael Sherwin

Also, if a person is running away from an attacker is that sport? If a person is jogging for pleasure or for fitness is that sport. What about weight lifting for the same reasons? The essence of sport is not defined by how much physical effort it takes to compete in the sport. It is defined by a certain level of perfection that is the goal to be achieved. Baseball can be played as a simple and fun game that would not be considered sport at a family gathering. Or it can be played as a very serious sport. Chess can be played as a simple game. Or it can be played with the idea of achieving a certain level of perfection just like in any sport!
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

If someone asked you to name ten different sports, chess wouldn't be one of them.

If someone asked you to name a hundred sports, you would probably mention chess at number eighty three while making one of those exaggerated "showing-all-your-teeth" type of smiles.

You, in this case, being ordinary Joe.
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

Miguel

Monopoly does not compare to chess! I can play 6 hours of Monopoly and not get tired. I can laugh and joke and have fun with the other people playing the game. I do not need to concentrate or have good posture or even a strong desire to win. I just need luck with the dice. I do not have to train day after day week after week month after month year after year to play great Monopoly. I am not competing against way above average intelligent people when I play Monopoly. I do not have any pride at stake when I play Monopoly. I do not have any long term goals concerning Monopoly. Monopoly is just a game. No one pours their life energy into Monopoly to be a better Monopoly player. No Monopoly player has a million fans like some chess players have. There are not thousands of training manuals for Monopoly like there is chess. There are not training camps for Monopoly like there is for chess.

If I was not so tired I could keep on going with this for quite awhile. Chess has so many attributes in common with sport and Monopoly few if any that your statement is just the height of being silly.
Let's change the game: dominos, checkers, scrabble.

I am not talking about the attributes of the game. Chess has a lot of attributes that makes it a complex board game.

But to consider it a sport… Again, you don’t require physical skills to play chess.

A sport implies physical skills. How many times must I repeat that? :wink:

You can play chess assisted by somebody else and still you can play your game. It is your brain… Example the blinded people. There is no need to see to play the chess of game…

But go ahead… this thread is becoming more and more hilarious. :lol:
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Michael Sherwin wrote:Also, if a person is running away from an attacker is that sport? If a person is jogging for pleasure or for fitness is that sport. What about weight lifting for the same reasons? The essence of sport is not defined by how much physical effort it takes to compete in the sport. It is defined by a certain level of perfection that is the goal to be achieved. Baseball can be played as a simple and fun game that would not be considered sport at a family gathering. Or it can be played as a very serious sport. Chess can be played as a simple game. Or it can be played with the idea of achieving a certain level of perfection just like in any sport!
If a person is running away from an attacker = you are running for your life.. unless you are talking about karate, or a combat sport... :lol:

More? You can play hockey for pleasure ans still hockey is a sport.

Please, I already gave the definition of sport linked to a dictionary.

If I take my friend to play baseball is just that a session of baseball: pratice or a game. :P

I know somebody who plays scrabble professionally, that makes it a sport? This person answerered: scrabble is a board game as chess is.

Ok, no I changed the name of Monopoly for another board game. The explanation is the same.

:lol: Have a nice day.
PK

Post by PK »

When I played casual games against my grandfather, it had nothing to do with sport. He was fast, attacking, talktive 1600-ish player with no desire to improve, but wanted to keep his wits sharp and enjoyed the game immensely. When his neighbours visited him, he asked them to play checkers or rummy; with me, since the age of 10 or thereabouts, it has always been chess.

We played our last game a couple of hours before he has been found on a pavement, with a nitroglycerie pill in his hand, brain-dead. And it's a good thing to remember that his last games didn't show any signs of decline, apart form the complaints concerning eyesight. His attitude towards chess was that of a jogger, not of a runner, a kind of "mental fitness".

When, a couple of weeks ago, I lost an intense tournament game (black side of Bogolubov with d7-d6, e6-e5 and King's Indian-style attack - or was it a more sophisticated reminiscence of grandfather's trademark pawn storms?) and came home completely groggy, wondering whether people in the bus think I am drunk, there was no question that this game has been a sport. In fact, I feel that I'm unable to break 2000 barrier for the reasons associated with body and sport: lack of stamina, low melatonine/serotonine levels, long periods without proper training of any kind.

I my family it is quite common to play some bridge at family reunions. It's basically only little more than a pretext for chatting and - let's face it - drinking. But I know that bridge can be a sport, having played in a couple of tournaments and seeing a difference of skill between me and the real players.

I also play Go at a semi-decent level (6 kyu EGF, 4-6 kyu on KGS server), I feel it taxes my brain even harder than chess, but my game lacks that quality that would make me feel about it like about a sport. At some point I practiced it quite intensely, not without good tournament results, and some people still find me an interesting sparring partner. There are stronger players, insisting to play me without a handicap, for fun of seeing the final result of less than 20 points of territory for either player. Then they go on and play Go as a sport.

In short, I think that an activity requires 3 things to become a sport:

1) effort
2) skill
3) competitive attitude

My grandfather's chess was not a sport, because of the lack of effort. My bridge is not a sport, because of the lack of relevant skills. My Go is not a sport because of the lack of attitude.
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

When I was young I played football(soccer), volleyball and other sports.
However the game wearing me most was chess.
And we must not forget that neurons and anything else that chess requests of our body are physical parts, and are widely sought.
Your definition of sport, does not seem correct.