There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent!

Post by Graham Banks »

tomgdrums wrote:Even though I don't use his engine, it is one of the reasons why I like Robert Houdart: He generally stays above the fray.
Can't argue with that and I respect him for that, despite my doubts about his engine.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Michel wrote:
De Vos W wrote:Free from the Internet:

There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent, but now some are Rybka beta testers who receive free copies of the final product;
Personal relationship with Rybka author has grown to the point where they feel as if part of the team, and there is also an emotional attachment -- so testing another engine that's much stronger/better (Houdini and other) than the one they helped produce, and publishing the results seem inappropriate.
An independent tester's job is to provide data; not to promote a particular engine.
Can you please shut up.
Is this a custom in your family, shut up people? Anyway it's gives me a good feeling that you are so angry :lol:
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Anyway it's gives me a good feeling that you are so angry
I guess that says it all. Go get a life.
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent, but now some are Rybka beta testers who receive free copies of the final product;
Personal relationship with Rybka author has grown to the point where they feel as if part of the team, and there is also an emotional attachment -- so testing another engine that's much stronger/better (Houdini and other) than the one they helped produce, and publishing the results seem inappropriate.
An independent tester's job is to provide data; not to promote a particular engine.
Correction:
There is no Rybka Beta-Tester in CEGT Team!
And CEGT Team is still independent.
But when I see a bug in any engine during testing I will of course send a mail to the author - this is no beta-testing in my eyes.

To be clear: If you make personal attacks with no proof here I think you should loose your account!
Werner
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Michel wrote:
Anyway it's gives me a good feeling that you are so angry
I guess that says it all. Go get a life.
I'll never forget a name but in your case i'll be glad to make an exeption.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Werner wrote:
Correction:
But when I see a bug in any engine during testing I will of course send a mail to the author - this is no beta-testing in my eyes.

To be clear: If you make personal attacks with no proof here I think you should loose your account!
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

De Vos W wrote:
Werner wrote:
Correction:

I don't see Werner promoting any engines, so I don't see where your comment is coming from.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

tmokonen wrote:
De Vos W wrote:
Werner wrote:
Correction:

I don't see Werner promoting any engines, so I don't see where your comment is coming from.
Exclude the new nr 1 (Houdini) and put Rybka on top of the list(CCRL/CEGT) ... that's promoting Rybka.....
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

De Vos W wrote:Exclude the new nr 1 (Houdini) and put Rybka on top of the list(CCRL/CEGT) ... that's promoting Rybka.....
Oh I see - like all these Houdini threads spamming CCC are promoting Houdini? :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Graham Banks wrote:
De Vos W wrote:Exclude the new nr 1 (Houdini) and put Rybka on top of the list(CCRL/CEGT) ... that's promoting Rybka.....
Oh I see - like all these Houdini threads spamming CCC are promoting Houdini? :wink:
The bottom line is this.
Which engines the CCRL (and CEGT testers) decide to test and put on their respective lists is nobody else's business but their's, just in the same way that the engines that others choose to test is none of our business.
If you don't like our rating lists, don't look at them. It's not going to bother us. There are plenty of others you could look at and you could even organise your own list like others have done.
We do what we do for fun and will continue enjoying ourselves regardless.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com