Poverty at First Sight

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Poverty at First Sight

Post by fern »

Just look at the stuff offered by our sponsor in terms of dedicated units. Never before did I see such poverty, such vacuum, such sad nonexistence of products.
Not the fault of Quentin of course, but in his shells you can see materially what means the already known fact the great players of the field are now or since long belly up...
Tears for a sad Xmats regards
Fern
Steve B

Re: Poverty at First Sight

Post by Steve B »

Yes it is indeed sad
even more sad is the fact that there are hardly any threads/posts here about dedicated chess computers anymore
if i had not arranged for those two odds game matches a few months ago i think there would have been something like 3 posts in total about dedicated chess computers in the past 6 months(including this post)
it just seems that the beauties of yesteryear have finally faded away into the night

R.I.P.Regards
Steve
fern

Post by fern »

Not yet as far as we are still alive. Tomorrow the people of the mail service announced me that the chess computer you sent will arrive at my home. I will play some games at once and no matter if winning or losing, i will post here to show there is live, still, in the bushes. BTW, which has been your experience with it?

fern
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

fern wrote:Not yet as far as we are still alive. Tomorrow the people of the mail service announced me that the chess computer you sent will arrive at my home. I will play some games at once and no matter if winning or losing, i will post here to show there is live, still, in the bushes. BTW, which has been your experience with it?

fern
i havent had a chance to even open it up yet
hopefully during the Xmas break i can use it a little

On Hold Regards
Steve
fern

Post by fern »

That's good news, they means you are in business yet.

Here in the asylum regards
Fern
oudheusa

Post by oudheusa »

Steve B wrote:Yes it is indeed sad
even more sad is the fact that there are hardly any threads/posts here about dedicated chess computers anymore
Steve
there are still good places on the web if you like the good old days

http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/portal.php
http://meca.mundoforo.com/index.php
http://schachcomputerwelt.foren-city.de

and ofcourse Ed Schroders legacy
http://www.top-5000.nl/index.htm

5Mhz Regards
fern

Post by fern »

Yeah right, but look: every one of those sites you mention are kind of a museum of already forgotten or dead contrivances. No much life on them anymore.
If you ever complain that there are not anymore tyrannosaurus Rex roaming and kicking in this world, you will not be satisfied if someone indicates you a place where you can see the skeleton.

Archaeological regards
Fern
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

fern wrote:Yeah right, but look: every one of those sites you mention are kind of a museum of already forgotten or dead contrivances. No much life on them anymore.
If you ever complain that there are not anymore tyrannosaurus Rex roaming and kicking in this world, you will not be satisfied if someone indicates you a place where you can see the skeleton.

Archaeological regards
Fern
The Schachcomputer.info forum is very active
many posts each day about the oldies
they even run dedicated computer tournaments
the problem for me is that it is a German site and i am too stupid to understand any language other then English

other the other hand..you can handle 215 languages easily so this site for you is a

Piece of cake regards
Steve
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Fern
You are quite correct but don't remember we can tell our grandchildren that "we where there, yes we there there"
Seasonal greetings from a very snowy and cold England.
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
fern

Post by fern »

Thank you Bryan and enjoy the snow, there will be a time when you will be capable of finding some only inside the refrigerator.
32 Celsius degrees here, but I have a pool....