Bored with orthodox Chess?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Bored with orthodox Chess?

Post by hgm »

Richard Allbert wrote:Arrgh. I'm away for a week skiing.... Catalyst doesn't promote to king! I won't be able to fix this until a week tomorrow. Sorry guys!
Have a nice holiday! And don't worry, I won't start the tourney within a week. My new engine also still has problems: now it suddenly doesn't know anymore how to mate a single Spartan King, and promotes to 5 Queens in stead before drawing due to the 50-move rule! :shock:
PK

Post by PK »

version with randomizer uploaded:

www.koziol.home.pl/oberon.zip
hgm

Post by hgm »

How do I set the hash size? It complains the swap file is too small to run the application when I try to start it up on my laptop.
PK

Post by PK »

unfortunately in this version hash size is defined by a constant, so I've made a zip archive with different hash sizes.
PK

Post by PK »

in the last version legality testing has been broken :oops: , but now I got rid of false illegal move claims. bugfixed Oberon uploaded.
hgm

Post by hgm »

OK, got it!
hgm

Post by hgm »

One more request: could you drop the "by Pawel Koziol" from the engine name? Now the name is so long that it pushes any match standings out of view in the windows title bar in size middling. And for larger sizes the elephants are not available, except bulky, but that does not fit on my laptop screen...

The myname feature is really not intended for the author name. We could define a feature author="..." if you want.
PK

Post by PK »

sorry for inconvenience.

update is called Oberon 0.02, because of added LMR.

BTW at night I have tested non-LMR version against micro-Max 4.8 in chess. Oberon scored 40%., right now LMR version is a bit ahead. Main problem is in endgames. micro-Max gains a lot of speed as pieces disappear, Oberon does not, so at the beginning depths are about equal (which allows eval to do its work), and at the end Oberon gets 6 or more plies behind.

at least I have something to fill my head with, as I got nasty throat-and-whatnot inflammation, which renders me practically immobile for fear of pneumonia.
hgm

Post by hgm »

I just had an illegal move from the previous version: it promoted to General while its single King was in check. I suspect that it mistakingly writes 'g' as promo chracter when it means 'k'.

I also noticed that it seems to ignore the setboard command, although it says feature setboard=1. Not sure if any of that holds for the 0.02 version, which I have not tried yet.

In the position below, it plays d2e1g

R7/1R2k3/4c3/4g3/2hc2P1/5B1P/P2hP3/6K1 b - - 30

An improvised diagram using standard Chess pieces, R for Captain, Q for General, needed because Sam does not live up to his promises:

[d]R7/1R2k3/4r3/4q3/2pr2P1/5B1P/P2pP3/6K1 b - - 30 69

And here it plays a2b1g

8/w7/h1c3Q1/h5kB/4h3/4P2P/hP6/6K1 b - - 3 45

Wit this ytime Q for General:

[d]8/q7/p1r3Q1/p5kB/4p3/4P2P/pP6/6K1 b - - 3 45

It could also be that it thinks it can trade Kings.
PK

Post by PK »

yes, there was a wrong letter printed on King promotion, fixed that.

as for setboard(), for some reason it causes Oberon to claim illegal move right at the beginning of the game, so chances are that I forgot to clear some variables. I'll investigate it, but for now setboard is disabled.