Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

IGarcia

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by IGarcia »

Albert Silver wrote:
Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Of course, I'm happy for Martin, but this changes nothing.
There is nothing bad with Rybka, the problem is their fan boys.

CCRL its also small, with credibility = 0 (zero)
CCRL has recognition from who?
Few games played in TCEC, but we all see in many testing sites (for example IPON) Houdini rules, so Houdini deserves the press.

Albert, who are you to say what they have to write about? They write and publish what they feel correct. You think you are ChessDom editor?

You make me laugh. I laught every time some as you post such nonsense.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
De Vos W wrote:
notyetagm wrote:Houdini wiped out Rybka 4 today, totally outplaying it.

Houdini is so much stronger than Rybka 4 that it is downright scary. Scary if you're a Rybka fanboy, that is. ;-)
The Rybka 4 fish is "BESMIRCHED" :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

:wink:
:wink:
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Nowadays in CCC you normally won't dare to speak about Rybka because you will get attacked by several people prosecuting you of being a fanboy or that Vas is paying you to do this.
I wonder how rich is Vasik, since he has to pay some minions in CCC to promote Rybka, but also pay CCRL and CEGT to keep Rybka on top of their lists. But i forgot. It is Chessbase behind all this right?
At last someone posting something honestly funny :wink:
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

IGarcia wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Few games played in TCEC, but we all see in many testing sites (for example IPON) Houdini rules, so Houdini deserves the press.

Albert, who are you to say what they have to write about? They write and publish what they feel correct. You think you are ChessDom editor?

Your reply is even more jocular. You somehow feel people are not allowed to post opinions that disagree with yours. Since you feel it is a good commercial decision, by all means clarify your position.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Hood

Post by Hood »

Albert Silver wrote: Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

It is not blunder. Why chessdom should take a care about chessbase who made illegal live transmission from Topalov Anand match.

Every big list, tournament was small at the start.
Susanpolgar.blogspot.com retransmites the tournament either.
It seems that CB monopoly is broken.

Rgds
Hood
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Hood wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

It is not blunder. Why chessdom should take a care about chessbase who made illegal live transmission from Topalov Anand match.

Every big list, tournament was small at the start.
Susanpolgar.blogspot.com retransmites the tournament either.
It seems that CB monopoly is broken.

Rgds
Hood
Where do you read something about Chessbase in the post you answered?
It seems you are in a completely wrong thread, or are
you also maintaining that the SusanPolgar site transmits Houdini
games from TCEC? Nothing in your post has anything to do with
Alberts post, strange but expected...
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Albert Silver wrote:
IGarcia wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Your reply is even more jocular. You somehow feel people are not allowed to post opinions that disagree with yours. Since you feel it is a good commercial decision, by all means clarify your position.

You and anyone can post what ever wish. I don't care and I'm not a moderator. It's just funny to read some post, like yours.

Albert, keep posting I keep laughing (and I will not write a word in next post so you don't feel bad. Still i will laugh).

Hope you don't fell bad. Is not my objective.

Ignacio.
beram

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. And More!

Post by beram »

Father wrote:...then...Is Houdini 1.5. the new King? :
From Chessdom:

Code: Select all

Houdini 1.5 stays perfect, destroys Rybka 4 with black
Ivanhoe jumps into clear second position

The computer chess world as we know it is changing right from the start of 2011. What many private testers have already discovered, is now known to the world wide audience. Houdini 1.5 is the new chess engine star, performing at a level superior to opposition.

In round 4 of the computer super tournament TCEC Division 1, Houdini 1.5 continued with it's perfect performance. This time it defeated Rybka 4 in a convincing way with black.

Rybka 4 won the World Cumputer Chess Championship 2009 with a large margin. It was a culmination of years of dominations on the computer chess scene. However, despite winning the 2010 title, things have been going on a downwards spiral for Rybka. Strong competitors have been emerging and new algorythms have been challenging the top spot.

One is left to wonder what is the actual strength of Houdini 1.5 to defeat the world champion with black and go with a convincing 4,0/4 so far in TCEC Division 1. According to the IPON World Ranking for computer chess engines, Houdini 1.5 is playing at strength of 3006 ELO, which is 54 points higher than Deep Rybka 4, and close to 90 points over Stockfish 2.01.

Can Houdini 1.5 prove that the margin is realistic? Can it keep up with the perfect performance? Round 5 of TCEC has just started, follow the games live here.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Guenther wrote: It seems you are in a completely wrong thread, or are
games from TCEC?
Susan Polgar's blog is actually transmitting the TCEC games, see http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... ve_10.html .
It's a funny world, isn't it?
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Houdini wrote:
Guenther wrote: It seems you are in a completely wrong thread, or are
games from TCEC?
Susan Polgar's blog is actually transmitting the TCEC games, see http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... ve_10.html .
It's a funny world, isn't it?
For people from the computer chess community, it sure seems amazing. We are used to testing things with thousands upon thousands of games, and laughing at those who draw conclusions with less. To see the power of the press and its ability to influence thoughts based on what those who post here would generally consider meaningless results, is amazing!

I am not claiming anything about what engine is best, just that there are far better sources to draw such conclusions than this 6 round tournament (or whatever length it is). Many of them posted here. I have not looked at the results, but I hope critter ends up in first (not impossible in such a short match) just to watch those trumpeting these results either have to exclaim it is the best engine, or decide maybe the tournament is not so meaningful after all :).

-Sam