Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Houdini

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by Houdini »

Sam,
BubbaTough wrote:For people from the computer chess community, it sure seems amazing. We are used to testing things with thousands upon thousands of games, and laughing at those who draw conclusions with less. To see the power of the press and its ability to influence thoughts based on what those who post here would generally consider meaningless results, is amazing!

I am not claiming anything about what engine is best, just that there are far better sources to draw such conclusions than this 6 round tournament (or whatever length it is). Many of them posted here. I have not looked at the results, but I hope critter ends up in first (not impossible in such a short match) just to watch those trumpeting these results either have to exclaim it is the best engine, or decide maybe the tournament is not so meaningful after all :).
You're absolutely correct, but flashy tournaments catch more headlines than slowly moving rating lists. There IS a reason why the web sites of most commercial engines strongly emphasize their results in past WCCC events - even from more than 10 years ago!

From a spectator's point of view the TCEC tournaments are very well organized. Games can be followed live in the Chessbomb chat room where you can discuss with other amateurs and even the engine authors. And there's the added bonus that all strong engines participate in a fair way by using the same hardware and opening book.

The TCEC tournament certainly deserves all the attention it gets, it's a pity that some sour souls feel the irresistible urge to degrade it...

Robert
Hood

Post by Hood »

Guenther wrote:
Hood wrote: Where do you read something about Chessbase in the post you answered?
It seems you are in a completely wrong thread, or are
you also maintaining that the SusanPolgar site transmits Houdini
games from TCEC? Nothing in your post has anything to do with
Alberts post, strange but expected...
It has not be written directly to be so. The brain is working, should :-).

A. Silver is CB colaborator so he criticises/attacks its rival Chessdom.
It is easy.

Concernig SP it has been answered.

Rgds
Hood
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

IGarcia wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
IGarcia wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Of course, I'm happy for Martin, but this changes nothing.
There is nothing bad with Rybka, the problem is their fan boys.

CCRL its also small, with credibility = 0 (zero)
CCRL has recognition from who?
Few games played in TCEC, but we all see in many testing sites (for example IPON) Houdini rules, so Houdini deserves the press.

Albert, who are you to say what they have to write about? They write and publish what they feel correct. You think you are ChessDom editor?

You make me laugh. I laught every time some as you post such nonsense.
Your reply is even more jocular. You somehow feel people are not allowed to post opinions that disagree with yours. Since you feel it is a good commercial decision, by all means clarify your position.

You and anyone can post what ever wish. I don't care and I'm not a moderator. It's just funny to read some post, like yours.

Albert, keep posting I keep laughing (and I will not write a word in next post so you don't feel bad. Still i will laugh).

Hope you don't fell bad. Is not my objective.

Ignacio.
Since you actually have no content other than a personal attack, you are just a troll, and I will treat it as such. No worries.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Hood wrote:A. Silver is CB colaborator so he criticises/attacks its rival Chessdom.
It is easy.
Actually, if the purpose were to tear down ChessDom, wouldn't the smartest move would be to say nothing, since I sincerely believe their move is a big mistake?

If anything, it has been singularly enlightening watching the hot-headed replies here to what was simply a comment on the strategic decision made by ChessDom.

I think Martin has a very fine private tournament, but that a supposedly serious news site would promote it over strong events and national championships, which is what they cover, is quite simply a blunder.

If you analyze it from a business point of view, there is no other conclusion possible. They will estrange the organizers and events they are supposedly helping, by showing they are of lesser importance, and their credibility will take a huge hit as well.

TCEC is a private event organized by a fan on his computer at home who chose a few engines in an event that no one has any say in. Other authors cannot elect to participate or win, nor can they elect to *not* participate, as he basically chooses whichever engine he wants and runs it as he pleases.

Interestingly, only a handful of people have understood this, the others stuck in their "Houdini vs. the world" perspective on things.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Albert Silver wrote:
TCEC is a private event organized by a fan on his computer at home who chose a few engines in an event that no one has any say in. Other authors cannot elect to participate or win, nor can they elect to *not* participate, as he basically chooses whichever engine he wants and runs it as he pleases.

Interestingly, only a handful of people have understood this, the others stuck in their "Houdini vs. the world" perspective on things.
Its private, but from first tournaments Martin has asked here and in other forums for suggestion, has done polls on witch engines for next match and much more.

I suggested a for a problem in his website and he implemented in no time. That is just an example on how much responsive is Martin.

So its private, but much of what we see in TCEC is what we, spectators and chess lovers, want to see and asked for.

PS: BTW I'm not a troll and I'm not attacking you. I just told you how funny was your post. But you, with this "troll" accusation, you attacked me 2 times now.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Albert Silver wrote:Interestingly, only a handful of people have understood this
Your original post comes over as a sour attempt to degrade other people's work or success - be it TCEC, Chessdom or Houdini.

Next time you feel like expressing friendly concerns, try to avoid words like "incredible blunder" or "amazingly bad judgment and beyond stupid". This choice of words makes it very difficult to read your original post as anything else than smearing.

Also your depicting TCEC as "a private event organized by a fan on his computer at home who chose a few engines" is factually correct, but completely misses the point that this is a highly relevant, high-quality computer chess tournament.

Robert
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Houdini wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:Interestingly, only a handful of people have understood this
Your original post comes over as a sour attempt to degrade other people's work or success - be it TCEC, Chessdom or Houdini.

Next time you feel like expressing friendly concerns, try to avoid words like "incredible blunder" or "amazingly bad judgment and beyond stupid". This choice of words makes it very difficult to read your original post as anything else than smearing.

Also your depicting TCEC as "a private event organized by a fan on his computer at home who chose a few engines" is factually correct, but completely misses the point that this is a highly relevant, high-quality computer chess tournament.

Robert
It doesn't miss the point. The point is: if you, me, or whomever decides to gather a handful of engines on a fast computer, is it international news?
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Houdini wrote:

Robert
It doesn't miss the point. The point is: if you, me, or whomever decides to gather a handful of engines on a fast computer, is it international news?

They have readers from all around the world, is this international chess news? From my perspective, it is so far removed, that it is an incredible blunder to include it as such.

You chose to feel this was a smear on Houdini, as if the name of the engine had anything to do with it. Since I explicitly said it was not, and even explained my reasons, you have to ask yourself whether you are not also so entrenched in the "Houdini vs. the World" viewpoint, that even explicit explanations are not enough to let you see what was actually being said.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Albert Silver wrote:It doesn't miss the point. The point is: if you, me, or whomever decides to gather a handful of engines on a fast computer, is it international news?
Even if you completely fail to see the significance of the TCEC tournament, there is no reason for reacting in the strong way you did, using insulting language.
On most forums people cheer when one of their fellow forum members makes the headlines...
Albert Silver wrote:You chose to feel this was a smear on Houdini, as if the name of the engine had anything to do with it.
No, I felt it was a smear on the excellent work of Martin.
I don't give an iota about your smearing Houdini (which you didn't, as you said).
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Albert Silver wrote: From my perspective, it is so far removed, that it is an incredible blunder to include it as such.
You can write an email to them with you thoughts instead posting in this forum... maybe they hire you as editor.
Albert Silver wrote: They have readers from all around the world, is this international chess news?
Many people in all planet read them and not all are aware about TCEC/chessbomb. So the article is good to promote in a "international way" this monster engines in monster computer to watch "live" great chess games with moves of "other world" in a very beauty interface (at TCEC or at ChessBomb).

Is not easy to replicate for me because that hardware is very out of my reach and probably out of 99% reach people leave in my country.

So... Yes! is good press.