Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

UncombedCoconut

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by UncombedCoconut »

The New York Times's Gambit Blog has also mentioned TCEC: http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01 ... he-screen/.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

hgm wrote:Despite all the fuss and mud-throwing contest between Rybka and Houdini fanboys, it seems clear that the publication by chessdom is "politically motivated". The event itself would not deserve any mention. So Houdini played 3 games and won them. Wow, big deal! :lol: :lol: :lol: Someone conducts an engine-engine tourney with 8 top-engines participating. Wow, that's a novelty, real front-page material, even before it is finished! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It seems obvious that someone at chessdom wanted to broadcast that Rybka is no longer the strongest engine, and has been looking / waiting for an opportunity to dress it up. I don't think that any of us seriously believes that chessdom would have published anything about Martin's tourney if Rybka had been leading 3 out of 3 before Houdini. Or if another engine, not believed to have higher Elo than Rybka would have been leading 3/3 before Rybka. (But you never know; fanboyishm / fanatism goes a long way, and can cloud all reason. :wink: )
No matter how cynical you get it is impossible to keep up.
Why not see it positive?
Mr.Houdart put a beautiful flower for free in ours hands! Why should we look around for a coffin?
Lets forget the smelly fish and enjoy the new number one engine.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Impossible to keep what up?

I could not possibly care less than I do about Houdini. It does not even play Spartan Chess. Fairy-Max would beat Houdini with 9-1 in a direct contest, because the latter would not know how to play 9 of the 10 variants... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would even bet you that one of my engines can beat Houdini from a legal position of normal Chess where Houdini (according to its own eval) has a >+5.00 advantage. :wink:
Last edited by hgm on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

UncombedCoconut wrote:The New York Times's Gambit Blog has also mentioned TCEC: http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01 ... he-screen/.
Brilliant! This gives me a good feeling.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

hgm wrote:Impossible to keep what up?

I could not possibly care less than I do about Houdini. It does not even play Spartan Chess. Fairy-Max would beat Houdini with 9-1 in a direct contest, because the latter would not know how to play 9 of the 10 variants... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would even bet you that one of my engines can beat Houdini from a legal position of normal Chess where Houdini (according to its own eval) has a >+5.00 advantage. :wink:
"Spartan Chess" is that the game for the average Friday night Joe-Six pack
with a pizza player? :lol:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Your usual crowd? :roll:
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

hgm wrote:Your usual crowd? :roll:
So you think your the hottest gamer alive, right?
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

De Vos W wrote: Mr.Houdart put a beautiful flower for free in ours hands! Why should we look around for a coffin?
So because Houdini is number one, we should forget Rybka or all other engines?
Why?
Don't bother to answer, it's rhetorical....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

UncombedCoconut wrote:The New York Times's Gambit Blog has also mentioned TCEC: http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01 ... he-screen/.
Well ..gee.. you would think that the CCC would at least get a mention
after all..we are the LEADING CC forum on the net..dwarfing all other CC sites in terms of daily threads,posts and views ..combined

Neglected Regards
Steve
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
De Vos W wrote: Mr.Houdart put a beautiful flower for free in ours hands! Why should we look around for a coffin?
So because Houdini is number one, we should forget Rybka or all other engines?
Why?
Don't bother to answer, it's rhetorical....
Is that so strange, Vasik Rajlich forget his customers can't imagine any other software-developing company having this problem (others push out updates weekly or even daily to suit their customers wishes) Please explain on that what... what distribution-problem makes it impossible to you to fix the Multi-PV-bug even after months?