Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by hgm »

De Vos W wrote:So you think your the hottest gamer alive, right?
Those are your words entirely. I just like to see things in perspective. Let's say I have a less narrow interest than you. And I actually produce things, rather than devoting my life to fanboyism, and identifying myself with the success of talented other people in an unhealty, monomanic way.

As an observer without any vested interests in this matter, one cannot escape the impression of watching a comedy show, where you play the evil side-kick of the gentleman Robert. :lol:
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

De Vos W wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
De Vos W wrote: Mr.Houdart put a beautiful flower for free in ours hands! Why should we look around for a coffin?
Lets forget the smelly fish and enjoy the new number one engine.
So because Houdini is number one, we should forget Rybka or all other engines?
Why?
Don't bother to answer, it's rhetorical....
Is that so strange, Vasik Rajlich forget his customers can't imagine any other software-developing company having this problem (others push out updates weekly or even daily to suit their customers wishes) Please explain on that what... what distribution-problem makes it impossible to you to fix the Multi-PV-bug even after months?
That's why i said it would be better if you didn't respond. Because i knew you will come up with something completely unrelated to my question.

If you answer my original question then probably i will answer yours here.

That trollish deflections BTW you are doing, are disgusting. Next time i will report it, for now i will let it go.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
De Vos W wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
De Vos W wrote: Mr.Houdart put a beautiful flower for free in ours hands! Why should we look around for a coffin?
Lets forget the smelly fish and enjoy the new number one engine.
So because Houdini is number one, we should forget Rybka or all other engines?
Why?
Don't bother to answer, it's rhetorical....
Is that so strange, Vasik Rajlich forget his customers can't imagine any other software-developing company having this problem (others push out updates weekly or even daily to suit their customers wishes) Please explain on that what... what distribution-problem makes it impossible to you to fix the Multi-PV-bug even after months?
That's why i said it would be better if you didn't respond. Because i knew you will come up with something completely unrelated to my question.

If you answer my original question then probably i will answer yours here.

That trollish deflections BTW you are doing, are disgusting. Next time i will report it, for now i will let it go.
I forget Rybka 3 and Rybka 4 because No bug fixes! Report it! Let it go... :lol:
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Gino Figlio

Post by Gino Figlio »

UncombedCoconut wrote:The New York Times's Gambit Blog has also mentioned TCEC: http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01 ... he-screen/.
This gives everyone an opportunity to send the NY Times a moral assay on engine origins or a technical review showing how some of them are ´clones´.

Take the drama to the Times and leave everything else here.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Gino Figlio wrote:
UncombedCoconut wrote:The New York Times's Gambit Blog has also mentioned TCEC: http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01 ... he-screen/.
This gives everyone an opportunity to send the NY Times a moral assay on engine origins or a technical review showing how some of them are ´clones´.

Maybe this gives everyone an opportunity to send the NY Times a moral asssay
that Vasik Rajlich forget his customers who paid 100 Euro for his Bugka and maybe then they can't imagine any other software-developing company having this problem (others who push out updates weekly for fixing bugs or even daily to suit their customers wishes.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

bhlangonijr wrote:Robert, I remember reading a certain thread in the open-chess forum in which you wrote that, among other things, you don't have interest in participating in WCCC because of its "irrelevance as a tournament with only a few rounds". It's okay to me that you have changed your mind. :wink:
The TCEC Division I tournament is just the starter (a placing tournament), the 40-game "Elite Match" that will follow is the main course.

Robert
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Or maybe someone needs to tell the Times that shareware and freeware are not the same thing.
UncombedCoconut

Post by UncombedCoconut »

Gino Figlio wrote:

tmokonen wrote:Or maybe someone needs to tell the Times that shareware and freeware are not the same thing.
Both of these are happening in the comment thread. (The first comment is my attempt to clarify shareware vs. freeware vs. open source.) I left it to others to shout at the bewildered general reader about the legal/ethical status of Ivanhoe and Houdini. Maybe a warning would have been in order, but my best attempt is just too long. "The legal and ethical status of Houdini and especially of Ivanhoe are controversial. For solid information on this issue hidden among countless pages of flames and bullshit from both sides of the argument, please visit the CCC and sign up. For solid information on this issue hidden among countless pages of flames and bullshit from one side of the argument, please visit the OpenChess forum."
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

UncombedCoconut wrote:"The legal and ethical status of Houdini and especially of Ivanhoe are controversial."
Please note that the legal status of Houdini is not controversial whatsoever. No legal challenge has been put forward by anyone.
Please stop spreading this kind of "legal nonsense", thank you.

Robert
Carotino

Post by Carotino »

I think that the media coverage of T.C.E.C. is due to the fact that demolishes the last excuse for fans of Rybka: games with long time control.
Thousands of games, made with short time controls, confirmed the superiority of Houdini 1.5. The last bastion for the fans of Rybka were the games with long-term control .... Now it collapsed too.
A disaster. But now, the King is dead, long live the king!

Roberto Munter.
:wink: